Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Just a short update:

I'm still fighting with .NET 4.0. I've managed to fix a lot of errors but there are still some issues left. I've just uploaded the first experimental version to the SkyDrive archive. It doesn't require any other Framework but UURollup (ENU) is necessary.

I have a couple of applications that require .NET Framework 4.0 and I can't use them on Windows 2000 because of that limitation.

Could you tell me names of the applications concerned? I'd like to check if they work with .NET 4.0 installed.

@acus

Thanks. Everything as expected. The uninstaller is not complete yet.

Edited by tomasz86

I have a couple of applications that require .NET Framework 4.0 and I can't use them on Windows 2000 because of that limitation.

Could you tell me names of the applications concerned? I'd like to check if they work with .NET 4.0 installed.

Well, I'm into editing a game called Zelda, Ocarina of Time. There's a utility a member created on another community called SharpOcarina. It's available from www.glitchkill.tk. It requires .NET 4.0

@

So I can confirm that it works with the .NET 4.0 installed but please wait for the final version :)

Edit: It was too good to be true. The program indeed can be started and you can even start creating something but then it crashes when trying to either save your project or open an another one. There is something wrong with .NET 4.0 and Win2k which prevents it from running. At the moment only a very limited usability is provided. Probably only a very simple .NET 4.0 applications will run while all of the more complicated ones will crash at some moment.

Edited by tomasz86

Maybe or maybe not, I know another program that uses .NET 2.0 and works on Windows 2000 is Utility of Time and I know that it was buggy on Windows 2000 as well. If I remember correctly, the program was based off some code from that other program. I'm using Vista for the time being until we can get my other problem sorted out so there's no rush on it. Would using the program in conjunction with KDW help as I think it solved a few of my problems with UoT, or is it strictly a .NET problem?

As the .NET Framework 4.0 compatibility and usability is extremely limited I'm considering not integrating it until (?) there is any workaround available. Accordingly, I'm also thinking about using BlackWingCat's kernel instead of the one from WildBill. BlackWingCat's kernel supports more APIs and has been very actively developed. It also allows to have uxtheme.dll present in %systemroot%\system32. The only disadvantage of using it is that .NET Framework 4.0 applications don't run at all (there's an error on startup). On the other hand, with WildBill's kernel they do start but still only very simple ones (like this one) work while others don't work anyway :ph34r:

Together with switching to BlackWingCat's kernel32.dll it will also be possible to use some other files depending on it.

What do you think about it?

As the .NET Framework 4.0 compatibility and usability is extremely limited I'm considering not integrating it until (?) there is any workaround available. Accordingly, I'm also thinking about using BlackWingCat's kernel instead of the one from WildBill. BlackWingCat's kernel supports more APIs and has been very actively developed. It also allows to have uxtheme.dll present in %systemroot%\system32. The only disadvantage of using it is that .NET Framework 4.0 applications don't run at all (there's an error on startup). On the other hand, with WildBill's kernel they do start but still only very simple ones (like this one) work while others don't work anyway :ph34r:

Together with switching to BlackWingCat's kernel32.dll it will also be possible to use some other files depending on it.

What do you think about it?

I personally believe that switching to BlackWingCat's kernel32.dll is a very good idea. I sure hope that the bugs get ironed out before the switch occurs. :)

I've uploaded several new experimental versions of the merged .NET Framework installer. I'll be very thankful for testing the newest one and this time I'd also like to ask for an additional step:

- after performing the "standard" testing procedure please go to Windows Update and check if there are any .NET related updates available (there should be none but....).

In order to use Windows Update you must have IE6 installed (it won't work in IE5) so you'd better install USP5.1 in advance (IE6 is integrated in it). If WU still doesn't work then you may need to install Windows Update Agent manually before accessing it.

Edited by tomasz86

@tomasz86 ( #87 )

Here are some results check 'em, please

asp.dll version: 5.0.2195.6672 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386

asp.dll version: 5.0.2195.7084 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv

dbgeng.dll Not Found

explorer.exe version: 5.0.3700.6690 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\WINNT

explorer.exe version: 5.0.3700.6690 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386

halaacpi.dll version: 5.0.2195.6691 language: Inglese (Stati Uniti d'America) C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386

halacpi.dll version: 5.0.2195.6691 language: Inglese (Stati Uniti d'America) C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386

halapic.dll version: 5.0.2195.6691 language: Inglese (Stati Uniti d'America) C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386

halborg.dll version: 5.0.2195.6655 language: Inglese (Stati Uniti d'America) C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386

halmacpi.dll version: 5.0.2195.7006 language: Inglese (Stati Uniti d'America) C:\WINNT\Driver Cache\i386

halmacpi.dll version: 5.0.2195.6691 language: Inglese (Stati Uniti d'America) C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386

halmps.dll version: 5.0.2195.6691 language: Inglese (Stati Uniti d'America) C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386

halsp.dll version: 5.0.2195.6655 language: Inglese (Stati Uniti d'America) C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386

html32.cnv version: 2003.1100.8165.0 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\Programmi\File comuni\Microsoft Shared\TextConv

infocomm.dll version: 5.0.2195.7147 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv

infocomm.dll version: 5.0.2195.6709 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386

msconfig.exe Not Found

msconv97.dll version: 2003.1100.8165.0 language: Lingua di sistema C:\Programmi\File comuni\Microsoft Shared\TextConv

mswrd6.wpc version: 2009.10.31.10 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\Programmi\Windows NT\Accessori

mswrd632.wpc version: 2009.10.31.10 language: Inglese (Stati Uniti d'America) C:\Programmi\File comuni\Microsoft Shared\TextConv

mswrd8.wpc version: 2009.10.31.10 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\Programmi\Windows NT\Accessori

mswrd832.cnv version: 2003.1100.8313.0 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\Programmi\File comuni\Microsoft Shared\TextConv

normaliz.dll Not Found

ntkrnlmp.exe version: 5.0.2195.6717 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386

ntkrnlmp.exe version: 5.0.2195.7376 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\WINNT\Driver Cache\i386

ntkrpamp.exe version: 5.0.2195.6717 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386

ntkrpamp.exe version: 5.0.2195.7376 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\WINNT\Driver Cache\i386

openal32.dll Not Found

reg.exe Not Found

spuninst.exe version: 6.3.13.0 language: Inglese (Stati Uniti d'America) C:\WINNT\$NtUninstallUURollup-v3a$\spuninst

wordpad.exe version: 5.0.2195.7155 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\Programmi\Windows NT\Accessori

wordpad.inf C:\WINNT\inf

wrap_oal.dll Not Found

write.wpc version: 2009.10.31.10 language: Italiano (Italia) C:\Programmi\Windows NT\Accessori

write32.wpc version: 2009.10.31.10 language: Inglese (Stati Uniti d'America) C:\Programmi\File comuni\Microsoft Shared\TextConv

wscript.hlp C:\WINNT\Help

wscript.hlp C:\WINNT\$NtUninstallUURollup-v3a$

xpsp3res.dll Not Found

xpsp4res.dll Not Found

regards,

hackeronte

Edited by Hackeronte

@Hackeronte

No problem with your late reply. Take your time :) We shouldn't try to be too quick in preparing this thing.

Out of the files these don't require any translation:

halaacpi.dll
halacpi.dll
halapic.dll
halborg.dll
halmacpi.dll
halmacpi.dll
halmps.dll
halsp.dll
dbgeng.dll
mswrd632.wpc
write32.wpc
wrap_oal.dll
openal32.dll

You can safely move them to FILES.

1. The following files:

msconv97.dll
mswrd8.wpc
html32.cnv
mswrd6.wpc
mswrd832.cnv
write.wpc

can be found in KB921606 and KB973904. Please download the ITA versions, unpack them and copy the required ones to FILES.

msconfig.exe
xpsp3res.dll

can be found in KB906569. As in the previous case, just download, unpack and copy the required files to FILES. If there are GDR and QFE files available always choose QFE.

normaliz.dll

can be found in IE8.

wordpad.exe

can be found in KB979687.

reg.exe

can be found in Win2K3 support.cab.

wscript.hlp

can be copied from C:\WINNT\Help to FILES. Make sure it's in Italian.

wordpad.inf

will have to be modified. Could you compare your ITA version with the one from UURollup?

xpsp4res.dll

is present in many XP updates. If you see it in one of the updates you've downloaded then you can copy it to FILES.

9. These files will have to be translated (but let's wait for a while before starting doing it):

asp.dll
explorer.exe
infocomm.dll
ntkrnlmp.exe
ntoskrnl.exe
ntkrpamp.exe
ntkrnlpa.exe

Edit: By the way, at the end it seems that there are much fewer files to translate than I initially thought there would be. It's actually very good news because I may think of preparing a Polish version of UURollup later on.

There are two more files to translate which are absent from the list though:

browseui.dll
shell32.dll

They are present in the xpsp2_binarydrop directory.

Edited by tomasz86