Which video card for win98 ?

kvr1333d3n9

My system is ;

Intel Board D845WN ( i845 chipset)

Pentium 4 (1700 mhz)

256 MB Ram (133 mhz)

GeForce Mx 100 / 200 (not windows 98 support)

I wanna buy 64 mb video card for windows 98. Which video card advice me to buy ?

Help me :)

Edited by kvr1333d3n9

Yes, but you'll have to find suitable drivers. I had a Riva TNT2 M64 and played good-time getting the correct drivers. No longer have it though, so can't tell where I got it from.

Errr - look here (english) and select "Legacy" in the first pull-down and go from there.

GeForce Mx 100 / 200 SUPPORTS Windows 98.

The RIVA TNT 2 M64 will work for Windows 98, but it would be outclassed by your system. Depending on what you will be using it for, this will most likely be a bottleneck. You're better off sticking to your current video card.

For 64MB video cards, you can look at any video card from the Geforce3 and Geforce4 lines, and ATI Radeon 7200, 7500, 8500, 9000... I probably missed a few, but this is most of it.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by Foxbat

Yes!

But,,, i use win98 many years and I 'll give you some more information. If you want to use only programs and

you want quality (not for games) Then I recommend you Matrox G400 DualHead, or G450...

But if you want to play some older games (from 2002, 03 and some from 2004 ) and watch DVDs

(And if you do not want your graphics card is causing problems such as: system freezing when

you shutdown the computer, system freezing when you "Restart in MS-DOS mode", "IO Protection fault"

and many other random problems)

Then i highly recommend you this card: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Leadtek-winfast-A250-64mb-AGP-Video-card-/380323980161?pt=AU_Components&hash=item588d136381

And

This drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_40.72.html

:hello:

I was very pleased with Matrox Dual Head card, as well. But, when I started to play with linux (Ubutu) it appeared the linux drivers do not handle Matrox very well. I was unable to force them to use the other monitor output on boot. So, I had to move to a Nvidia, as Ati seems to have issues with DOS mode switching.

This video card is completely compatible with Windows 98. I have the same video card and it works greatly. I use drivers from NVidia ver. 4532. These provide substantially higher performance (with this video card) than the latest official or unofficial Win 98 drivers. I've tried several versions, these seem to cause the least number of bugs in games (though I was told that earlier versions can provide even higher performance with this video card, they seem to be more buggy.

Strongest video card with official support for Windows 98 is Nvidia 6800 AGP with max 256 MB. You can find that type of cards on Amazon.

If you want something slower than you can take Nvidia 6200 card like this which is in my thinking too expensive.

You are having even PCI version of that card, but I have not been reading on this site about Win 98 users which are using PCI version of Nvidia 6x00 card.

I am using Radeon 9600 which is very, very similar to this card.

Because of today prices for Nvidia 6x00 and Radeon 9x00 I do not see point in having only 64 MB or 128 MB on video card.

Strongest video card with official support for Windows 98 is Nvidia 6800 AGP with max 256 MB...

Yeah..But... Only if you are ready to ignore problems

such as: system freezing when

you shutdown the computer, system freezing when you "Restart in MS-DOS mode", "IO Protection fault"

and many other random problems

Yes, I know what I am talking about. Here is a list of nvidia cards that i have:

GeForce 2 GTS 32 MB

GeForce 4 Ti 4400 128 MB

GeForce 4 MX440 SE 64MB

GeForce FX 5500 128 MB

GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB DDR3 256 Bit

GeForce 7600 GS 256 MB

And there is no driver or combinations that I have not tried(official or beta) but only the

GeForce 2 GTS 32 MB

GeForce 4 Ti 4400 128 MB

GeForce 4 MX440 SE 64MB

worked without problems in Windows 98

Sorry, but problem of your computer is not Nvidia.

Saying that Nvidia products from 1998-2004 are not compatible with Windows 98 is weird, because Nvidia has become important corporation with this cards....

Strongest video card with official support for Windows 98 is Nvidia 6800 AGP with max 256 MB...

Yeah..But... Only if you are ready to ignore problems

such as: system freezing when

and many other random problems

With old Forceware 66.94, Nvidia 6800GT AGP works without problems mentioned above.

Games requiring shader model 3.0 can't run on Win98, so it is not necessary using Forceware Release 70 or 80.

Edited by halohalo

With old Forceware 66.94, Nvidia 6800GT AGP works without problems mentioned above.

Games requiring shader model 3.0 can't run on Win98, so it is not necessary using Forceware Release 70 or 80.

Man, I am not complained about something :huh: , I'm just saying how things are.

If 6800 works for you without problems? Then lucky you. :)

kvr1333d3n9 asked: I wanna buy 64 mb video card for windows 98. Which video card advice me to buy ?

And my answers have been sent to him.

@All other

You can claim what you want, but the GeForce4 series of cards is the last that does not make problems in Win98,

this is what I experienced in practice on several machines. in accordance with this, I gave him the information

that I know are accurate. But of course you do not have to agree with that.

I have no experience with serie 6 cards but never had the kind of major issues reported by RFMasterX with either serie 5 or serie 7 ones.

I think almost everyone here know how series 7 works :lol:

I do not talk that does not work, but i'm said that did not work stable, starting with the series 5

Of course, the problem is not in the cards, but in drivers.