Which video card for win98 ?

kvr1333d3n9

I have no experience with serie 6 cards but never had the kind of major issues reported by RFMasterX with either serie 5 or serie 7 ones.

I think almost everyone here know how series 7 works :lol:

I do not talk that does not work, but i'm said that did not work stable, starting with the series 5

Of course, the problem is not in the cards, but in drivers.

I have zero stability issues with either a 7800GS or a 7950GT on my system. I have used both long enough to be 100% certain of that. And the same goes for the FX5200 I had before that. I use the beta/unofficial 82.69 drivers and the only minor issues are 1) the well known shutdown issue with those drivers and 2) the 7950GT fan doesn't spin unless I force it to be always on in the NVidia control panel. (the 7950GT requires the rloew RAM patch to run at all as it's a 512MB card). 3) I had to downgrade nvopengl.dll to the 81.98 version to avoid non fatal but annoying crashes in Java applications using OpenGL.

Three different persons have now told you that in their experience what you are saying is wrong but you still insist on making the same sweeping generalization...

Edited by loblo

Man, let me explain a little, here's the following situation, for example:

You have a computer with Win98 and everything is working properly

and then put in the computer card from a series of 5 or 6 or 7

and then switch to MS-DOS mode and then type EXIT and then

press ENTER and what happens then? Then the cursor just blinks

and nothing happens->frozen, it can not be returned to windows,

you have to press the RESET button, and you tell me that this is a

generalization? and tell me that this is not the problem? :lol:

I am accustomed to such things, but that's not good start for someone->kvr1333d3n9

who wants to try win98, because it will be faced with something they never expected

and then will spend a lot of time to find a solution. :realmad:

that because I told him to purchase one card which certainly will not

make these problems.

END.

I use Win Me so I never switch to MS-Dos mode as there isn't such an option on this OS (Who does this anyway and for what purpose? :wacko: ) so I grant you that there might be an issue here as I can't check this out myself. The freeze on shutdown of the computer affects only the latest drivers AFAIK and is a very minor issue IMO.

But then you've also mentioned, independently of the above, IO Protection fault and many other random problems... What are those? I have never encountered any of that, and let me tell you that if these were common issues with series 5, 6, and 7 we would have heard about them since a long time on here as there are more than a few people frequenting those forums who use those cards...

:hello:

Edited by loblo

The freeze on shutdown of the computer affects only the latest drivers AFAIK and is a very minor issue IMO

It is "minor issue" for you, and for me, because we are accustomed to and we ignore that problem.

(And it not affects only the latest drivers, the same happens with the older drivers for the card from

the 6 Series, starting from this beta version 60.86) But I remember the time when this first happened

it was not a "minor issue".

But then you've also mentioned, independently of the above, IO Protection fault and many other random problems... What are those? I have never encountered any of that, and let me tell you that if these were common issues with series 5, 6, and 7 we would have heard about them since a long time on here as there are more than a few people frequenting those forums who use those cards...

This is what happens frequently (for series 5 from time to time, somtimes, somtimes not)when you play games.

Edited by RFMasterX

I use Win Me so I never switch to MS-Dos mode as there isn't such an option on this OS (Who does this anyway and for what purpose? :wacko: ) so I grant you that there might be an issue here as I can't check this out myself.

The fact that few people do this does not make the error less significant. That is all a matter of opinion.

I don't use nVidia cards, so I can't address this specific issue. But if I encountered such problems with my ATI cards, I would certainly not be happy, and probably would not consider it "minor."

:rolleyes:

You have a computer with Win98 and everything is working properly

and then put in the computer card from a series of 5 or 6 or 7

and nothing happens->frozen

This does not happen on my desktop under Win98, with a bfg 7800 GS OC card and Geforce v77.72, and a 1600x1200 ViewSonic monitor. Full-size DOS window and regular DOS window work fine. Edited by Multibooter

This does not happen on my desktop under Win98, with a bfg 7800 GS OC card and Geforce v77.72, and a 1600x1200 ViewSonic monitor. Full-size DOS window and regular DOS window work fine.

:D I think you did not understand.

I'm not talked about this: commandprompt.png

I've talked about this: dosmode.png

Errr... bear in mind, folks that "MS-DOS Mode" is strictly DOS (as like in Safe Mode, Command Prompt Only) but utilizes a (special) set of CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT specifically for this (like for DOS Gaming with a specific set of compatible drivers being loaded), unlike the aforementioned "Safe Mode" which uses the standard ROOT directory ones. (just an FYI/reminder)

Look here...

... and then put in the computer card from a series of 5 or 6 or 7

and nothing happens->frozen

:D I think you did not understand.

I've talked about this: dosmode.png

Sorry, your "switch to MS-DOS mode" rung the wrong bell with me, "Restart in MS-DOS mode" rings of course the Shutdown-issue bell of Win98 and Geforce cards.

In any case, welcome to the Win98 forum.

I checked again, I do not have an issue after "Restart in MS-DOS mode" the way I set up my hardware and software under Win98. After I entered the EXIT command, Win98 restarted fine on my system :)

BTW, the window "Shut Down Windows" on my computer under Win98SE has an additional selection "Stand by", which I never use. Also, your window "MS-DOS Prompt" displays © 1981-1998, my computer displays © 1981-1999, so I would speculate that you are running Win98 FE, which may perhaps be the cause of your problems.

P.S.: I just checked the \WINDOWS\ folder of the Win98SE opsys, and it did not contain a file dosstart.bat

Edited by Multibooter

I checked again, I do not have an issue after "Restart in MS-DOS mode" the way I set up my hardware and software under Win98. After I entered the EXIT command, Win98 restarted fine on my system :)

BTW, the window "Shut Down Windows" on my computer under Win98SE has an additional selection "Stand by", which I never use. Also, your window "MS-DOS Prompt" displays © 1981-1998, my computer displays © 1981-1999, so I would speculate that you are running Win98 FE, which may perhaps be the cause of your problems.

P.S.: I just checked the \WINDOWS\ folder of the Win98SE opsys, and it did not contain a file dosstart.bat

Well, if someone says Win98 this means Win98FE because FE was the first. :huh:

So yes, I use Win98FE.

I do not know what the situation is with Win98SE, because Win98SE i use only in a virtual machine.

Yes. I know well the Restart in MS-DOS Mode Issue... it is as you described. And I have a GeForce 2 MX 400 that showe that issue, as I described in the post I linked to. I use Win 98SE. To me, the Restart in MS-DOS Mode Issue clearly depends on the version of the nVidia Driver used and on the card used, but it must also be related to some specific hardware, probably the chipset, since it's a much less common issue than the Shutdown Issue. Most users never experienced that issue, or there would be more reports of it.