Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Reliable repair/recovery service for USB flash drive?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

spinjector

spinjector

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
Does anyone know of a TRUSTWORTHY repair/recovery service for USB flash drives? One that can replace a USB controller chip gone bad? And won't cost $2,000.00..? I found a few on Google, but I'm not trusting my drive to someone just because they have a web page.

I have a 32gb thumb drive that suddenly stopped working while attached to a laptop in a high-RF environment (FM transmitter site) and I can't get anything to recognize this bugger now. My life isn't gonna stop without it, but I put some work into making it bootable and with various utilities, and I don't have a recent backup. =-/

I tried the ChipGenius software, and even it couldn't detect the controller chip. I'm hoping the various transient/filter capacitors protected the flash chips and they are still viable. If so, transferring them to a new board might be able to retrieve the data. But I'm not set up to solder that small, and I don't want to waste time/money buying & cracking open random thumb drives hoping to find one with the UT165 & same flash chips - and possibly damaging/zapping them with my inexperience on chips that small.

Thanks.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,254 posts

If so, transferring them to a new board might be able to retrieve the data. But I'm not set up to solder that small, and I don't want to waste time/money buying & cracking open random thumb drives hoping to find one with the UT165 & same flash chips - and possibly damaging/zapping them with my inexperience on chips that small.

JFYI, the "standard" tool to recover from damaged USB sticks is something like this (example):
http://www.flash-extractor.com
The idea is to access the memory chip directly with "independent" hardware.
Maybe you could drop a couple of enquiry lines to those guys (or the makers or similar hardware) and ask for some names of their customers. :unsure: (or ask on their forum):
http://flash-extract...m/index.php?c=2

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN