Disappearing partitions

Power supply blew up, replaced.

Seemed okay for a few hours, but then weird errors with the hard disk failing to read, and finally failing to boot.

So I bought a new hard disk, thinking the old one had been damaged.

Installed and partitioned (using the Windows 2000 install disk -- that's what I run) and then started copying files.

Set it up with a 40 GB C: drive , then 40GB D: for programs, then two 78 GB, total 232 GB.

A few hours later, suddenly the D: drive is gone.

Open Disk Management, and E and F are also gone. After I'd just copied 30 GB of files to them.

I booted up with the "PartedMagic" CD - a Linux with GParted.

It said the whole 232 GB disk was "unallocated".

But if I reboot, the C: drive at least is there and bootable to Windows.

This is a brand new disk, I think it's okay. The "SMART" health check says "Passed".

Is Win2k unable to format 232 GB? Should I just start again using GParted to partition and format?

I've got an XP PC I could try.

Or is it a mobo problem?

Lots depends on the service pack level of your Win2k boot disk, your Parted Magic version (if it's as old as your OS disk), also your hardware (if as old as the software), motherboard and its Bios version. And if IDE, have you checked the jumper settings ? Partition scheme; is D a primary partition or part of a bigger extended partition ?

Do you have the possibility to check both drives on an other machine ? The fact they both fail "after few hours" is a bit suspect.

First, how does Bios report the disk(s) ?

Edited by Ponch

Lots depends on the service pack level of your Win2k boot disk, your Parted Magic version (if it's as old as your OS disk), also your hardware (if as old as the software), motherboard and its Bios version. And if IDE, have you checked the jumper settings ? Partition scheme; is D a primary partition or part of a bigger extended partition ?

Do you have the possibility to check both drives on an other machine ? The fact they both fail "after few hours" is a bit suspect.

First, how does Bios report the disk(s) ?

The Win2k boot/install CD was the first release, and that's what I used to do the initial partition/install. I applied SP4 after installing.

The drive was new and unused, but old stock. Samsung SP2514N

I've got another PC running XP that I can try the drives in. Maybe tonight.

I think the drives are good. But need to work out if the problem is the mobo or hopefully just the software.

Should I try the latest Parted Magic?

I'll see if Samsung has any tools for download.

The Win2k boot/install CD was the first release, and that's what I used to do the initial partition/install. I applied SP4 after installing.

Well, then you have NO 48 bit LBA access (and you are prone to all kinds of related problems):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098

The best choiice IMHO is to create an integrated SP4 2K cd and re-do form start the install.

jaclaz

Well, then you have NO 48 bit LBA access (and you are prone to all kinds of related problems):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098

The best choiice IMHO is to create an integrated SP4 2K cd and re-do form start the install.

jaclaz

Hmm. So Win2k chokes at 137 GB.

There was some weirdness when I did the initial format. I wanted to make 4 partitions, but from the CD could only make two. So I installed and made the rest using Win2k Disk Management.

Thus sealing my own doom....

It's not easy to make slipstreamed CD in my current state of disarray. I don't have CD burners n any working machines.

Would just plugging the hard disk into an XP SP3 PC and using its Disk Management to format it with 40 and 80 GB partitions make a Win2k-friendly disk?

Or would a recent version of GParted be equally good?

I've got Parted Magic, 2009. The disk was made in 2006, it seems, so it should be current enough.

I just hope the PC BIOS is -- but it detects the full correct size at least.

I've got some software that works well in 2k, but may not do so in XP. So I'm hoping to stick with 2K if at all possible.

Edited by Asp

I found this page:

Installing Windows/Linux on a Hard Drive Larger than 136 GB

which has what looks like an easy solution:

Windows 2000

Install Windows 2000 to a 32 GB or smaller partition and reboot.

Apply Service Pack 3 or 4.

Open the registry editor (regedit.exe).

Navigate to the registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters

From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.

Enter the name EnableBigLba, and press Enter.

Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.

Close the registry editor and reboot.

Boot the board from alternate media containing a partitioning tool such as Partition Magic, parted, GParted, or QTParted. (See Useful Links.)

Resize the partition containing the OS to occupy the rest of the disk. Boot the system from the hard disk.

Windows verifies the partition and reboots. Once the OS loads, it installs drivers for the hard disk and reboots again. When the system comes back up, the expanded, bootable partition occupies the entire disk.

Trying that now.

So far, so good.

Created a 32 GB partition with GParted, installed Win2k in it, applied SP4, did the reg hack.

Now, to partition the rest of the disk.

What I want is to add one 40 GB and two 80 GB partitions.

With GParted I can do this it seems by adding 3 primary partitions.

Or I can make one extended partition 200 GB, and 3 logical ones in that.

Are both compatible with Win2k?

Which setup would be best for Win2k?

After having to start from scratch once due to its problems with big disks, I don't want to make another mistake.

Edited by Asp

Or I can make one extended partition 200 GB, and 3 logical ones in that.

That is the advised approach. :)

The original theory of MS is that you have one (and only one) primary partition and one (and in this case only one is possible anyway) extended partition containing all the other volumes.

And yes, you can have four primary partitions but unless *needed* for *any* other reason, this way you will *never* be able to change the partitioning scheme without deleting at least one partition (as you will have all 4 entries in the MBR "occupied").

Please take note that - as soon as you can - you *must* have an install CD slipstreamed to the SAME SP that is installed, otherwise in case of trouble the "repair" won't work.

jaclaz

Thanks, one extended it is then.

Actually, my last, and first, install of Win2k was about 2005 and was laid low only when the power supply exploded. Never had to repair it at all. But it would be sensible nonetheless, of course. It was probably getting pretty crufty.

Edited by Asp