As you know from the other posts I had to make an XP install CD from the installation on the C: drive. So I used the MS setup.exe on the C: drive to set up a copy on the indentical size D: partition (1st logical drive). I then booted to this partition and used the MS MUI rollback tool to remove the other languages.
(I added the three WIN files, WIN51 (Windows plus 1 space) WIN51IP (Windows plus 1 space) and WIN51IP.SP2 (No 'windows' , just the1 space).
I then made a drive image of the D: drive with Image for Windows 1.64 and extracted the files from the image to a folder on the F: partition using TBI View (Two really good software tools from TeraByte Unlimited in Las Vegas) so that I could use nLite to cut it down to size and make an ISO.
So I then formatted the D: partition (1st logical drive) and re-installed from the nLite ISO giving me XP Pro SP2 (OEM) without any unnecessary junk and practically no MUI. (Some keyboards did manage to get past this process but got picked out and deleted from the remaining MUI cache using Reg Organiser.)
As the SP3 downloaded file turned out to have corrupt .cab files, according to the Avast AV, (Previous post) I downloaded the US SP3 ISO and burned it to CDR.
I then re-installed and ran the subinactil.msi tool from MS and proceeded with the SP3 update which went in flawlessly.
(Contrary to those who claim that SP2 has to be - fully - updated - before - SP3 will install.)
I then added IE8 and all my other software archived on the F:partition, cleaned and optimised the registry, ran chkdsk, defragged the drive, and telephoned MS USA to validate the install.
1 - click later, back up and running. :-)
Just had to go online to update the AV, complete the validation, and add all the many security updates.
Made a new drive image of the, fully functional, D: drive to archive and then 'restored' it to the C: drive.
Re-booted to the C: drive edited the boot.ini file and formatted the ... 1st logical drive ... in the extended partition ... where the new install ... had been prepared.....
Login - Logoff works perfectly, as all settings are US English, even with the Belgian (Period) keyboard. (There is a Belgian (Comma) keyboard, but they are quite rare.)
I now have - NO - 'Teefer' (for NT) and 'wpsdrvnt' (Windows PS Driver NT) errors in the event viewer as there was no PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse attatched when the initial installation was done and these legacy drivers no longer appear in the hardware device manager. Hooray!
So - VERY MANY THANKS - to all of you on the Forum for your help, which has proved to be invaluable.
Hope you - ALL - have a great day.
Just - two - little things... See above.
Now my primary partition shows as Local Drive D: (System with boot files) and the ... 1st logical drive ... shows as Documents C: ... \Ö/
Checking the Event viewer reveals that MS, in its infinite wisdom, chose to re-assign the drive letters so that the 'system' (Big Brother) could keep track of things.
Arrrggg !!! I feel like Winston Smith from 1984!
Anyway, that is three up, one down, which has to be good and the entire system is much more responsive.
'Apply' is very much quicker, for example.
Also the registry is as new and very much smaller.
Tonight I will see if it is possible to re-assign the drive letters using Boot-IT NG....
This post has been edited by NATO: 04 June 2012 - 03:19 AM