Event Viewer Reported Errors.

NATO

I wonder if any of you can throw any light on these persistent errors?

1. The Server did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

2. The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load. i8042PRT / Teefer / WPSDRUNT

3. The Universal Plug and Play device host service depends on the SSDP discovery service which failed to start.

It is all double-Dutch to me...

I also recently tried TuneUP Utilites which advised the "Windows reports that a PS2 mouse and PS keyboard are not loading properly."

As I use a USB keyboard and USB optical mouse - BUT - very often - get to the login with no keyboard and mouse loaded and have to re-boot is it that old PS2 drivers are trying to load as well and causing this fault?

Or is is a MotherBoard fault?

Thanks for - any -advice.

2. The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load. i8042PRT / Teefer / WPSDRUNT

These refer to services that are enabled for devices that are not present in the system. You currently have them to start, but when they do they fail because the hardware isn't present which generates an error. For example, i8042PRT refers to a PS2 port used by a keyboard or mouse. These will show up in MSINFO32's Software Environment/System Drivers, Device Manager's Hidden Devices or in the Services panel. I do not have the other two on my system so I can't tell you what those are.

These refer to services that are enabled for devices that are not present in the system. You currently have them to start, but when they do they fail because the hardware isn't present which generates an error. For example, i8042PRT refers to a PS2 port used by a keyboard or mouse. These will show up in MSINFO32's Software Environment/System Drivers, Device Manager's Hidden Devices or in the Services panel. I do not have the other two on my system so I can't tell you what those are.

So!

Thank you very much. And what is more you are right!

Another utility reports that 'Windows reports that a PS2 Keyboard and PS2 mouse are trying to load but have failed.'

I stopped using these some years ago and no longer have them.

Both keyboard and mouse devices are now USB.

Any idea on how I should get rid of this error as I think it is responsible for stopping the USB keyboard and mouse from connection from time to time which is the real problem forcing a hard shutdown.

I thought to change the filenames to keyboard.dr- and mouse.dr- but am slightly concerned that I won't have any input if I need to reverse the changes.

There is no mention of PS2 devices in the Hardware Manager.

Many thanks for your help.

Is this all following an unconventional attempt at running nLite on "some" existing folders of the hard drive ?

Ponch,

No. It has been a persistent fault for some time, only now it is really getting bad.

I suspect that the old PS2 drivers are trying to load as well as the USB drivers.

Maybe updating the old Legacy drivers will sort it out.

I am getting this fault continuously in the Event Viewer.

The Universal Plug and Play device host service depends on the SSDP discovery service which failed to start.

The reason given is that one of these services has a different account to other services running in the same process.

Does anyone have any idea what this is abot and how to rectify the issue?

What - are - all the services running in this process?

Thanks for all and any help.

(Great Sunset / Light Pyramid - Boot Screens - much nicer than the MS one!)

(No matching logon/off screen though... )

Is this all following an unconventional attempt at running nLite on "some" existing folders of the hard drive ?

I disabled and uninstalled the (hidden) MS Mouse and Keyboard PS2 drivers and re-booted.

As the hardware manager came on and started to re-install them, for hardware that is no longer there, (!) an MS message came up to say that the (MS) drivers had not passed MS logo testing !!!

But then they date back to 2001...

Need a new computer really, this 1000 MHz PIII is not really up to running modern software.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for their help.

What account is it using?

SSDP is used by XP to go out and find things in the network, and to also broadcast itself. You can try disabling the service if you want and don't think you'll need it.

It is using the - NT AUTHORITY\LocalService - account.

• 2 weeks later...

To thank you all on this thread.

Solved. Finally!

As you know from the other posts I had to make an XP install CD from the installation on the C: drive. So I used the MS setup.exe on the C: drive to set up a copy on the indentical size D: partition (1st logical drive). I then booted to this partition and used the MS MUI rollback tool to remove the other languages.

I then made a drive image of the D: drive with Image for Windows 1.64 and extracted the files from the image to a folder on the F: partition using TBI View (Two really good software tools from TeraByte Unlimited in Las Vegas) so that I could use nLite to cut it down to size and make an ISO.

So I then formatted the D: partition (1st logical drive) and re-installed from the nLite ISO giving me XP Pro SP2 (OEM) without any unnecessary junk and practically no MUI. (Some keyboards did manage to get past this process but got picked out and deleted from the remaining MUI cache using Reg Organiser.)

As the SP3 downloaded file turned out to have corrupt .cab files, according to the Avast AV, (Previous post) I downloaded the US SP3 ISO and burned it to CDR.

I then re-installed and ran the subinactil.msi tool from MS and proceeded with the SP3 update which went in flawlessly.

(Contrary to those who claim that SP2 has to be - fully - updated - before - SP3 will install.)

I then added IE8 and all my other software archived on the F:partition, cleaned and optimised the registry, ran chkdsk, defragged the drive, and telephoned MS USA to validate the install.

1 - click later, back up and running. :-)

Just had to go online to update the AV, complete the validation, and add all the many security updates.

Made a new drive image of the, fully functional, D: drive to archive and then 'restored' it to the C: drive.

Re-booted to the C: drive edited the boot.ini file and formatted the ... 1st logical drive ... in the extended partition ... where the new install ... had been prepared.....

Login - Logoff works perfectly, as all settings are US English, even with the Belgian (Period) keyboard. (There is a Belgian (Comma) keyboard, but they are quite rare.)

I now have - NO - 'Teefer' (for NT) and 'wpsdrvnt' (Windows PS Driver NT) errors in the event viewer as there was no PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse attatched when the initial installation was done and these legacy drivers no longer appear in the hardware device manager. Hooray!

So - VERY MANY THANKS - to all of you on the Forum for your help, which has proved to be invaluable.

Hope you - ALL - have a great day.

Ian.

PS

Just - two - little things... See above.

Now my primary partition shows as Local Drive D: (System with boot files) and the ... 1st logical drive ... shows as Documents C: ... \Ö/

Checking the Event viewer reveals that MS, in its infinite wisdom, chose to re-assign the drive letters so that the 'system' (Big Brother) could keep track of things.

Arrrggg !!! I feel like Winston Smith from 1984!

Anyway, that is three up, one down, which has to be good and the entire system is much more responsive.

'Apply' is very much quicker, for example.

Also the registry is as new and very much smaller.

Tonight I will see if it is possible to re-assign the drive letters using Boot-IT NG....

Tonight I will see if it is possible to re-assign the drive letters using Boot-IT NG....

Do not want to put you down, but that is "tricky" business :ph34r: .

Just in case, some info here may be of use:

(and NO, bootit_NG is a nice proggy :thumbup , but won't help you with this :()

jaclaz