Please vote: Vista/Win7/Win8 UAC support poll

15 members have voted

1. 1. How to make WPI support UAC?

• Disable UAC before reboot and re-enable it after reboots
    • Maintain UAC always on and remove the incompatible LoadDesktopBeforeInstall option
    • I don't know, but I like turtles!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, found an interesting reg file which turns off the UAC, may be it will be useful for You:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"EnableLUA"=dword:00000000

Using RegShot i traced tha to undo this change it is necessary to use this:

"EnableLUA"=dword:00000001

But there is one disadvantage: to make this tweak work it is necessary to reboot

Edited by chymax3m

Hi, found an interesting reg file which turns off the UAC, may be it will be useful for You:

"EnableLUA"=dword:00000000

Using RegShot i traced tha to undo this change it is necessary to use this:

"EnableLUA"=dword:00000001

But there is one disadvantage: to make this tweak work it is necessary to reboot

I already figured out how to disable UAC and how to set a task on reboot but until people vote I'm not writing anything since both workarounds are extremely annoying.

Would not take much to add Win8 support, since it pretty much runs same as it does on Win7

Also if you use 6.1.x/6.2.x/etc. it would allot be better, because you could also add service pack specific install support. For instance the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack is only compatible with Vista sp2 and not meant for Windows 8, would be nice if we could add these conditions in WPI

Installed OR (WindowsBuild >= 6002) Windows Vista Service Pack 2 or higher is required to install the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack.

NOT (VersionNT > 601) This version of the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack is not compatible with Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012. You can get the codec pack through Windows Update on Windows 8. The codec pack is not available for Windows Server 2012.

We already have a spver:

function getSPver()
{
position="wmi.js";
whatfunc="getSPver()";

if (szServicePackCache==NOT_FOUND) // this function is called often - get it once and cache the result
{
try
{
objWMIService=GetObject("winmgmts:\\\\" + "." + "\\root\\CIMV2");
colItems=objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem", "WQL", wbemFlagReturnImmediately | wbemFlagForwardOnly);
enumItems=new Enumerator(colItems);
objItem=enumItems.item();

szServicePackCache=objItem.ServicePackMajorVersion;
}
catch(ex)
{
var sp="";

try
{
sp=WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\CSDVersion");
}
catch(ex)
{ ; }

if (sp != "")
{
szServicePackCache=sp.substr(sp.length-1,1);
}
}
}

return szServicePackCache;
}

As for the "5.1/6.0/6.1/6.2" IF You and francesco can just add it to the existing code fine. I am not going to tell the thousands and thousands out there that they have to change all of their osver to the 5.1/6.0/6.1/6.2. Only 5% or so of them will listen.

Not change, if you can support both options would be nice

This MSI LaunchCondition:

Installed OR (WindowsBuild >= 6002) Windows Vista Service Pack 2 or higher is required to install the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack.

NOT (VersionNT > 601) This version of the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack is not compatible with Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012. You can get the codec pack through Windows Update on Windows 8. The codec pack is not available for Windows Server 2012.

In WPI could look like:

getOSver2()>="6.0.6002"&&getOSver2()<="6.1"

It would make WPI "future proof". You wont have to add a Win9/10/11 when/if another operating system comes out it will simply work, one would just have to increase the decimal point

Edited by ricktendo64

Not change, if you can support both options would be nice

This MSI LaunchCondition:

In WPI could look like:

getOSver2()>="6.0.6002"&&getOSver2()<"6.1"

It would make WPI "future proof". You wont have to add a Win9/10/11 when/if another operating system comes out it will simply work, one would just have to increase the decimal point

You can already read the windows version number from the registry (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion) also you can't compare versions as strings there's a function for that.

That's the workaround I been using

Edit: (Vista sp2 to Win7 ENU condition)

RegKeyValue("HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion")=="6.0"&&RegKeyValue("HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentBuild")>="6002"&&getOSlang()=="ENU"||RegKeyValue("HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion")=="6.1"&&getOSlang()=="ENU"

Edited by ricktendo64