• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huguia

A lot of problems in Windows 98 SE

11 posts in this topic

I have a P4 with 1 GB Ram working perfectly with Windows 98 SE + SP 3 Beta 4

Although, i have several problems.

1st: Whenever I play a game, i don't get sound. Fifa 99/ fifa 98/ Ford Racing 2 and many more, and i don't get any sound. However, is MSDOS games such as Doom, i get a perfect sound.

2nd: How can I play .mkv movies with a clear image? Every time I try to watch, it just goes with a strange sound and the image is very slow.

Please Help Me!

EDIT:

3rd: Is there any way to identify the dial up drive i have installed in my computer? I need to configure it so I can go to the Internet on my Dreamcast, but i don't know what's the type of the drive

Edited by huguia

1a - SESP3 Beta 4 is just that... Beta!

1b - Do you have WDM drivers installed or VXD drivers for your sound? DOS Games uses an even different method for accessing Sound Card (nether WDM or VXD).

2 - No clue..., but have you checked your Video and Monitor Drivers? (see below...)

3 - This is not a "Members Project" problem. AFAIK, the SESP3 doesn't install "additional" drivers, only the "standard" drivers. Have you checked in Device Manager for functionality for your Sound Card (either Add-In or On-MoBo)? Do MP3's play? Do Audio CD's play?

What brand is your sound card?

1a - SESP3 Beta 4 is just that... Beta!

1b - Do you have WDM drivers installed or VXD drivers for your sound? DOS Games uses an even different method for accessing Sound Card (nether WDM or VXD).

2 - No clue..., but have you checked your Video and Monitor Drivers? (see below...)

3 - This is not a "Members Project" problem. AFAIK, the SESP3 doesn't install "additional" drivers, only the "standard" drivers. Have you checked in Device Manager for functionality for your Sound Card (either Add-In or On-MoBo)? Do MP3's play? Do Audio CD's play?

Yes, I have WDM installed. I can reproduce sound with media player etc.All windows sound works perfectly (and youtube etc). Only when i open games it doesn't show any sound! All the drivers are correctly installed. The Sound Card is an onboard CMedia Wave Device.

And the graphic drivers are installed and working!

Not all C-Media drivers are created equal. I played heck finding the right ones for an add-in PCI. The one linked to above may/may not work...

You should be able to confirm exactly what it is by going into the Registry

Start->Run->(enter "regedit")->HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ENUM\PCI\

and find the VEN_DEV value (beneath that you will find the descriptions - find the C-Media one).

Post the complete Ven_Dev string that you find...

reinstalling DirectX sometimes helps with such problems.

Not all C-Media drivers are created equal. I played heck finding the right ones for an add-in PCI. The one linked to above may/may not work...

You should be able to confirm exactly what it is by going into the Registry

Start->Run->(enter "regedit")->HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ENUM\PCI\

and find the VEN_DEV value (beneath that you will find the descriptions - find the C-Media one).

Post the complete Ven_Dev string that you find...

You have a printscreen attached. What now?

He does? Where?

Cheers and Regards

DONE! I reinstalled Direct X and updated it with June 2006 PAtch and it worked perfectly! Thanks!

The problems missing are:

How do i activate thumbnails in windows explorer

How do i set up my dial-up adaptor?