Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

HDD performance <-> Allocation unit size

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

pointertovoid

pointertovoid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

... I may purchase an SSD in the near future.... do you know any documents, websites, links, references, or whatever reading, which could give me a deeper insight about how SSDs are designed and work?

Yes, get an Ssd at least for the OS, your documents, and small applications. They're hugely better than mechanical disks for any data that fits the limited size. Affordable as used disks on eBay: I got a used Corsair F40 (40GB MLC with Sandforce) delivered for 50€, it's excellent.

Their efficient use is difficult to understand and implement, and little simple reading is available. Wiki?
The buyer-user should understand in advance SLC vs MLC, especially the implications for write delay, and the resulting need for a good cache AND cache strategy, which means a controller and its firmware, all-important with MLC. Older MLC are bad.
Write leveling is also very important to understand but not simple, especially as write performance drops over time with older Win. With Seven (or Vista?) and up, write performance shouldn't drop; with Xp, you can tweak the same effect; with W2k I couldn't let these tweaks run - but my disk is an SLC X25-E anyway :whistle: , nearly insensitive to anything, and so fast that it awaits the Cpu.
Alignment is important for speed; some measurements there http://www.msfn.org/...n-its-clusters/ on a CF card with Ntfs (easy) and Fat32 (needs tweaking).
Dandu.be made exhaustive measurements but he didn't tweak alignement, alas.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

pointertovoid

pointertovoid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Which role (if any) would NCQ (Native Command Queuing) have in the benchmark(s)?

NCQ makes a huge difference in real life. When booting W2k (whose disk access isn't as optimized as by Xp with its prefetch) it means for instance 18s instead of 30s, so Ahci should always be used, even if it requires an F6 diskette.

Different disks have different Ncq firmware resulting in seriously different experienced performance, and this cannot be told in advance from the disks' datasheet, nor from benchmarks of access time and contiguous throughput. Anyway, the arm positioning time between near tracks should be more important than random access over the whole disks, which usage never requires.

Few benchmarks make a sensible measurement here. Ncq is meaningful only if a request queue is used, but for instance Atto isn't very relevant here; it seems to request nearly-contiguous accesses, which give unrealistic high performance and show little difference between Ncq strategies; nice tool however to observe quickly if a volume is aligned on a Flash medium. The reference here is IOMeter but it's not easy to use, especially for access alignment. Recent CrystalDiskMark tests with Q=32 which is far too much for a workstation (Q=2 to 4).

Example of IOMeter with Q=1, versus Q=4 of one 600GB Velociraptor, versus Q=4 of four VRaptors in aligned Raid-0, on random 4k reads over 100MB (but 500MB for the Raid) (an SSD would smash N* 10k IO/s in this test):

Attached File  IOM_100MB_k004r_Q01.png   14.54KB   6 downloads

Attached File  IOM_100MB_k004r_Q04.png   14.55KB   6 downloads

Attached File  IOM500MB_1MiB_k004r_Q04.png   14.18KB   5 downloads

(log in to see the image, click to magnify)

As a practical consequence, an Ssd should be chosen based on few available tests available only from users... IOMeter, if not then CrystalDiskMark which at least tells the random delay for small writes, or good as well: "practical" comparisons at copying or writing many files. On the disks I own, I check the "find" time of some file names among ~100.000 Pdf in many subdirectories, the write time of many tiny files...

Edited by pointertovoid, 18 June 2012 - 05:24 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,033 posts

Which role (if any) would NCQ (Native Command Queuing) have in the benchmark(s)?

NCQ makes a huge difference in real life. When booting W2k (whose disk access isn't as optimized as by Xp with its prefetch) it means for instance 18s instead of 30s, so Ahci should always be used, even if it requires an F6 diskette.

Different disks have different Ncq firmware resulting in seriously different experienced performance, and this cannot be told in advance from the disks' datasheet, nor from benchmarks of access time and contiguous throughput. Anyway, the arm positioning time between near tracks should be more important than random access over the whole disks, which usage never requires.

Few benchmarks make a sensible measurement here. Ncq is meaningful only if a request queue is used, but for instance Atto isn't very relevant here; it seems to request nearly-contiguous accesses, which give unrealistic high performance and show little difference between Ncq strategies; nice tool however to observe quickly if a volume is aligned on a Flash medium. The reference here is IOMeter but it's not easy to use, especially for access alignment. Recent CrystalDiskMark tests with Q=32 which is far too much for a workstation (Q=2 to 4).

Really? :unsure:

Guess why I had previously posted this? :whistle:

The whole point is that benchmarks are - generally speaking - benchmarks ;) and they are ONLY useful to compare different settings (or different OS or different hardware), BUT the results need to be verified.
In no way thy are (or can be) representative of "real usage".
In other terms, it is perfectly possible that the result of a benchmark (which is an "absract" set of copying data with a given method) seem "almost the same" but on real usage a BIG difference is actually "felt", or viceversa, it is perfectly possible that in a benchmark a given setting produces an astoundingly "better" result, but then when the setting is applied in "real life" no (or very little difference) is "felt".

and why I asked the qiestion in the form:

:rolleyes:

jaclaz

DiracDeBroglie

DiracDeBroglie

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Example of IOMeter with Q=1, versus Q=4 of one 600GB Velociraptor, versus Q=4 of four VRaptors in aligned Raid-0, on random 4k reads over 100MB (but 500MB for the Raid) (an SSD would smash N* 10k IO/s in this test):

What is a F6 diskette?

>>The reference here is IOMeter but it's not easy to use, especially for access alignment.

What is access alignment?

-----------------------------------
I did the IOmeter test too on my 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 system HDD, with 3 different options in the pane |Disk Targets| -> |# of Oustanding I/O|=1, then =4 and again =32; I suppose that must be the Queue Depth equivalent to (or equal to) the NCQ in the HDD (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not all to sure how to interpret the options |Maximum Disk Size (in sectors)| and |Starting Disk Sector|; do these need a figure?? I left them at zero during my tests.

In the pane |Access Specifications| I've put the value |4K; 100%Read; 0%Random|. The results from the tests are showns in the screenshots hereafter for #I/O=1, =4 and =32.

IOmeterQD1; IOmeterQD4; IOmeterQD32

The difference in performance between #I/O=1 and =4 seems significant; the difference between #I/O=4 and =32 is less, but still noticable. Anyhow, with #I/O=32 the performance comes pretty close to what I had earlier with ATTO Disk Benchmark.

I also performed a test with #I/O=64 (no screenshot); the performance was better than with #I/O=1, but poorer than with #I/O=4. It looks like offering too many (>32) parallel I/Os chokes the NCQ handling in the HDDs controller.

Still a question about the |Access Specifications| pane where I've put |4K; 100%Read; 0%Random|. All possible options were with 0% Random. I'm not sure what is meant with "Random"; does it mean random sector location of the HDDs platters? If yes, then 0% Random should mean 100% non-Random, right? If yes, 100% non-Random should mean 100% sequential (contiguous), which basically puts us into the same context of ATTO. But if both IOmeter and ATTO perform nearly-contiguous measurements, why does |# of Oustanding I/O| in IOmeter impacts the performance so much, while the Queue Depth in ATTO does not nearly influences the performance? Sticking point is how to interpret "Random" in |4K; 100%Read; 0%Random| for IOmeter?

johan

PS: I couldn't figure out how to introduce the image file inline in the text; they are now attached at the back.

Attached Files

Edited by DiracDeBroglie, 19 June 2012 - 09:46 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,033 posts

What is a F6 diskette?

The "traditional" method to add a specific driver that is not already included in a NT based system.
See:
http://www.msfn.org/...a-floppy-drive/

Typical is a Mass Storage device driver.
When you start a NT setup you are asked to press F6 to add the driver through a floppy disk.

At least in XP (cannot say in 2k) is possible (on motherboard that provide both Legacy IDE emulation and AHCI) to install "normally" and then install and switch the driver:
http://www.msfn.org/...409#entry884409

jaclaz

DiracDeBroglie

DiracDeBroglie

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

The system cache (since W95 at least) is a brutal feature: every read or write to disk is kept in main Ram as long as no room is requested in this main memory for other puposes. If data has been read or written once, it stays available in Ram. Win takes hundreds of megabytes for this purpose, with no absolute size limit.

Is this some kind of a "RAM disk", but where its content is a perfect mirror of its respective file content on the HDD? (so that a powerfailure doesn't mess up file consistency on the HDD?)

Does that mean that the UDMA controller has access to whatever motherboard RAM size (hundreds of MBs, or even GBs) and where-ever located in the motherboard RAM?

I know that on old OSs there was a thing like RAM disk, but its content was not always consistent with the HDD, floppy, JAZZ, Zip drive content. As a result powerfailure was usually very damaging to your files on the HDD. I assume that kind of powerfailure damage cannot happen when using DMA for data transfer between motherboard RAM and the HDD? Or can it?

johan

Edited by DiracDeBroglie, 19 June 2012 - 11:59 AM.

pointertovoid

pointertovoid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

[Numbering and slicing by Pointertovoid, apologies for my bad manners]
(1) # of Oustanding I/O|=1, then =4 and again =32; I suppose that must be the Queue Depth equivalent to (or equal to) the NCQ in the HDD
(2) I'm not all to sure how to interpret the options |Maximum Disk Size (in sectors)| and |Starting Disk Sector|;
(3) I've put the value |4K; 100%Read; 0%Random|.
(4) I couldn't figure out how to introduce the image file inline in the text; they are now attached at the back.

(1) I too understand it as the number of simultaneous requests. 32 is huge, fits servers only. 2 or 4 is already much for a W2k or Xp workstation.
(2) IOMeter measures within a file of the size you define, beginning where you wish if possible (I hope it checks it before). The file size should represent the size of the useful part of the OS or application you want to access; 100MB is fine for W2k but too small for younger OS. After the first run begins, I stop it and defragment the volume so this file is contiguous.
(3) You lost. 0% random means contiguous reads, telling why you get as unrealistic figures as with Atto. I measure with 100% random, which is pessimistic. You define it by editing (or edit-copy) a test from the list; a cursor adjusts that.
(4) Something like "place inline" after the file is uploaded and the cursor is where you want.

pointertovoid

pointertovoid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

[System cache]
Is this some kind of a "RAM disk", but where its content is a perfect mirror of its respective file content on the HDD? (so that a powerfailure doesn't mess up file consistency on the HDD?)

Does that mean that the UDMA controller has access to whatever motherboard RAM size (hundreds of MBs, or even GBs) and where-ever located in the motherboard RAM?

I believe to understand that read or write requests to still unaccessed sectors are sent to the disk immediately (unless you check the "delayed write" in the driver properties) but any data read or written stays in the mobo Ram as long as possible for future reuse - that is, as long as Ram space is available. This means that the disk is still updated immediately (if no delayed write).

And, yes, I believe the Udma controller accesses any page of the mobo Ram. Which isn't very difficult if you see a block diagram of the memory controller.

pointertovoid

pointertovoid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Jaclaz: and why I asked the question in the form:

With IOMeter, Ncq effect is very observable; very few other benchmarks show an effect; and the amount of improvement shown by IOMeter is consistent with real-life experience.

Just adding some duplicate plethoric redundant repetition again, to confirm we agree...

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,033 posts

Just adding some duplicate plethoric redundant repetition again, to confirm we agree...

Sure we agree on this :thumbup .

The question was aimed at DiracDeBroglie, meant as a hint :rolleyes: towards the fact that Atto is not the "ideal" benchmark for a SATA III drive with NCQ ;).

jaclaz

DiracDeBroglie

DiracDeBroglie

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
What a disappointment!! With 10%random the Total MBs per Second drop from 90 (with 0% random) to about 3.5. With 100%random the performance went down to 1.5MB/Sec!!! Its time for an SSD. #I/O was all the time 32.

(1) I too understand it as the number of simultaneous requests. 32 is huge, fits servers only. 2 or 4 is already much for a W2k or Xp workstation.
(2) IOMeter measures within a file of the size you define, beginning where you wish if possible (I hope it checks it before). The file size should represent the size of the useful part of the OS or application you want to access; 100MB is fine for W2k but too small for younger OS. After the first run begins, I stop it and defragment the volume so this file is contiguous.

Oh, I forgot to ask in my previous post: How can one create a test file of a particular length in IOmeter?

Thanks
j

Edited by DiracDeBroglie, 19 June 2012 - 02:24 PM.

DiracDeBroglie

DiracDeBroglie

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
Specifications of tested HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (ST31000524AS); 1TB, 32MB cache; Queue Depth =32; NCQ =supported; average track size =0.8MB.

Some more IOmeter test results with parameters: 4K, 100%Read, a range of %s for randomness, and for 4 different numbers of simultaneous I/0s values (32; 4; 2; 1). The following figures show the throughput (Total MBs per Second) as a function of the % randomness. Test file = 500MB (Can be set by specifying the number of sectors in the option Disk Targets -> Maximum Disk Size; I my case I specified 1,000,000 sectors, as 1 sector is 512 bytes; Starting Disk Sector was kept at 0)

# simultaneous I/Os =32
------------------------
0% randomness -> 95 MB/s
1% randomness -> 96 MB/s (a bit higher than in the 0% case)
2% randomness -> 6.8 MB/s
3% randomness -> 6.3 MB/s
4% randomness -> 5.3 MB/s
5% randomness -> 5.0 MB/s
10% randomness -> 4.1 MB/s
20% randomness -> 3.2 MB/s
50% randomness -> 2.1 MB/s
100% randomness -> 1.4 MB/s

# simultaneous I/Os =4
------------------------
0% randomness -> 76 MB/s
1% randomness -> 84 MB/s (8 MB/s higher than in the 0% case)
2% randomness -> 17 MB/s
3% randomness -> 14 MB/s
4% randomness -> 10 MB/s
5% randomness -> 9.2 MB/s
10% randomness -> 4.8 MB/s
20% randomness -> 2.6 MB/s
50% randomness -> 1.4 MB/s
100% randomness -> 1.1 MB/s

# simultaneous I/Os =2
------------------------
0% randomness -> 67 MB/s
1% randomness -> 67 MB/s
2% randomness -> 14 MB/s
3% randomness -> 12 MB/s
4% randomness -> 9.8 MB/s
5% randomness -> 8.2 MB/s
10% randomness -> 4.7 MB/s
20% randomness -> 2.6 MB/s
50% randomness -> 1.2 MB/s
100% randomness -> 0.8 MB/s

# simultaneous I/Os =1
------------------------
0% randomness -> 43 MB/s
1% randomness -> 40 MB/s
2% randomness -> 9.8 MB/s
3% randomness -> 8.2 MB/s
4% randomness -> 7.2 MB/s
5% randomness -> 6.4 MB/s
10% randomness -> 4.0 MB/s
20% randomness -> 2.4 MB/s
50% randomness -> 1.1 MB/s
100% randomness -> 0.6 MB/s

All tests clearly show a maximum throughput at 0% or 1% randomness after which the performance rolls off quickly for higher randomness, usually from 2% randomness onwards.

One would expect the highest throughput for the highest #I/O value, but ... no way, depending on the randomness. #I/O=32 has the best performance for a randomness of 0%, 1%, 20%, 50% and 100%. For the randomness range of 2% -> 10% the highest throughput comes with #I/O=4, and probably the average randomness of 2% -> 10% comes the closest to an average "real live" system configuration. Take now the folder C:\Windows which is the dominant folder in how fast Win7 boots; the Windows folder contains 21GB and 92,000 files - hence average file size 0.22MB, which is a lot smaller than the average track size of 0.8MB on my system drive (so NCQ "could" be doing a good job and shorten the boot time).

Intra-file randomness (on the platters) can be reduced by defragging the folder/boot volume, but file-to-file randomness cannot be detected by any defragger (at least I do not know any defragger like that), for the simple reason that defraggers don't know what the file order is in the booting process. Hence that, although the boot volume is very well defragmented, one could still be facing a large (file-to-file) randomness taking down the "real live" throughput significantly. Bottom line is that I haven't got a clue how good or bad the file-to-file randomness could be on my boot volume. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised that after running a defragger, the intra-file randomness has gone down, but the file-to-file randomness could've been increased, thereby (partially) offsetting the gain (shorter boot time) of the defragmenation.

Fortunately, in Win7 (on my notebook) communication between the motherboard and the system drive happens through (U)DMA, although I have to say I have no idea how large the data-chunks are in my system at boot time. It could be that the UDMA (in Win7) plays down (significantly) the importance of randomness in the throughput; In (older) OSs that don't have (or have limited) UDMA, the throughput is likely more sensitive to the file-to-file randomness (I think its fair to say this was already implicitly confirmed by pointertovoid).

Conclusion:
1) jaclaz was/is right; Benchmark results need very careful interpretation when extrapolating them to "real live" situations, as some parameters (like file order in the booting process) are not know by the benchmarkers.
2) Defragging the volume may help improve the booting speed (we all know that already); however, the gain in boot time might be small in Win7 due to UDMA.

johan

Edited by DiracDeBroglie, 20 June 2012 - 08:32 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,033 posts

Conclusion:
1) jaclaz was/is right; Benchmark results need very careful interpretation when extrapolating them to "real live" situations, as some parameters (like file order in the booting process) are not know by the benchmarkers.
2) Defragging the volume may help improve the booting speed (we all know that already); however, the gain in boot time might be small in Win7 due to UDMA.

OT :ph34r:, but JFYI.
Many, many years ago, the world motocross champion was a belgian guy, named Georges Jobé:
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Georges_Jobé
http://web.archive.o...rges/index.html

To a journalist that asked him how he prepared himself phisically (which kind of exercises, jogging, gym, etc.) for the races he replied something like:

I tend to go on the bike a lot.
Usually 4 hours every morning and a couple more hours in the afternoon.
I find it better for me than the gym.

Well, he was right ;):
Spoiler

jaclaz

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Conclusion:

You should also look around more here on the board. :) http://www.msfn.org/...yresume-issues/ That is the reason that Andre only recommends the use of MS's own defragging tools. As you found, defragging just to eliminate fragmented files is only part of the solution. File placement is also a factor.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt, 20 June 2012 - 01:53 PM.

Posted Image

pointertovoid

pointertovoid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Your figures with random access are now consistent with other disk measurements. I dare to assert that random access measured with IOMeter, within a limited size and with some parallelism, is a better hint to real-life performance than other benchmarks are.

Udma is fully useable with Win95 if you provide the driver. Ncq only needs parallel requests which exist already in Nt4.0 and maybe before - but not in W95-98-Me; it also needs adequate drivers wiling to run on a particular OS. Seven (and Vista?) bring only additional mechanisms to help the wear leveling algorithm of Flash media, keeping write fast over time.

To paraphrase bphlpt: Windows since 98 does know which files are loaded in what order because a special task observes this. Windows' defragger uses this information to optimize file placement on the disk and reduce the arm's movements. Xp and its prefetch go further by pre-loading the files that belong together before Win or the application request them; this combines very well with the Ncq as it issues many requests in parallel, and partly explains why Xp starts faster than 2k with less arm noise.

DiracDeBroglie

DiracDeBroglie

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

You should also look around more here on the board. :) http://www.msfn.org/...yresume-issues/ That is the reason that Andre only recommends the use of MS's own defragging tools. As you found, defragging just to eliminate fragmented files is only part of the solution. File placement is also a factor.

A very, very useful link. Many thanks.
j

DiracDeBroglie

DiracDeBroglie

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

To paraphrase bphlpt: Windows since 98 does know which files are loaded in what order because a special task observes this. Windows' defragger uses this information to optimize file placement on the disk and reduce the arm's movements.

Hey, I did not know that. So defragging is best done by Window's defragger then.
Many thanks for this tip to pointertovoid and bphlpt,
j

Edited by DiracDeBroglie, 21 June 2012 - 05:38 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,033 posts

So defragging is best done by Window's defragger then.

NOT really "necessarily", tools like Mydefrag (there may be others :unsure:):
http://www.mydefrag.com/
use similar techniques and - more than that - allow to experiment with different approaches thorugh a scripting-like language:
http://www.mydefrag....al-Scripts.html

As always, tests need to be conducted but I wouldn't swear that the MS built-in strategy (whatever it is) is actually the "best possible", there may be room for further optimizations.

jaclaz

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,239 posts
Off topic...

Many, many years ago, the world motocross champion was a belgian guy

Not so "many many" years ago (I truncated the quote on purpose :D ), but It seems an other country has taken over recently indeed (scroll up few lines). 2008 can be seen as an arguable transition phase.
However, if you remove the engine... we're still ahead ! :)

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,033 posts

However, if you remove the engine... we're still ahead ! :)

Sure :thumbup , and if you smooth a little bit the race track :whistle: , you are nowhere to be seen ....

What gives? :unsure:

jaclaz

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,033 posts

Not so "many many" years ago (I truncated the quote on purpose :D ), but It seems an other country has taken over recently indeed (scroll up few lines). 2008 can be seen as an arguable transition phase.

And now Antonio Cairoli has 6 Championships, becoming the all-time 2nd together with Joël Robert and after Stefan Everts.
http://www.motocross...r-ktm-world-mx/

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN