Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Laptop HD life: can a trip (vibrations) damage the HD?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

I41Mar

I41Mar

• 37 posts
Hello dear MSFN forum.
I have the following question:
since I'll have to make a long trip by a train (6 boring hours) I would like to spend time using my laptop while traveling.
But I have a big doubt:
the vibrations, oscillations and bumps that occur during the trip can break or shorten the PC HD life when it is turned on or even when turned off?
The PC in question has a PATA HDD and is built in the 2006 year.
I'm not a PC expert.
Best regards to all MSFN friends and thank you for your kind answers.
I41Mar

PS: to moderators: I do not know if this is the right forum section for this topic.

Edited by I41Mar, 27 May 2012 - 04:06 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,077 posts

Hello dear MSFN forum.
I have the following question:
since I'll have to make a long trip by a train (6 boring hours) I would like to spend time using my laptop while traveling.
But I have a big doubt:
the vibrations, oscillations and bumps that occur during the trip can break or shorten the PC HD life when it is turned on or even when turned off?
The PC in question has a PATA HDD and is built in the 2006 year.

If the drive/laptop is off, you should have NO fear whatsoever (most if not all 2.5" disks use a "parking ramp" or however a "safe parking zone" when off).
With the laptop on, there may be moderate reasons to worry, nothing will happen on a "normal" railway, maybe if the line is particularly "bumpy", though many laptops, besides using disks that can stand that kind of stress, have particular "mounting hardware" that insulates the disk from vibrations, and a few models additionally have sensors that simply "cut off power" if a definite G variation (such as a fall) happen.

Maybe if you post exact make/model of your laptop (and possibly also make/model of the disk inside it) we may give you some more - if not certainties - accurate estimations of the possible risk.

A good idea (indipendently from the planned trip) is to make a full backup (or image of the disk, even better), a hard disk 6 years old may well fail independently from the vibrations and bumps (mind you it is perfectly possible that that hard disk will survive for another 10 years, but the only thing that I have learned - in some cases the "hard way" - is that *any* hard disk can fail at *any* time for *any* reason).

The three golden rules:
  • backup
  • backup again
  • while considering the consequences of first two rules, BACKUP AGAIN!

jaclaz

pointertovoid

pointertovoid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Jesus saves!
And God makes backups.

Hard disk drives tend to survive slow vibrations well. After all, their arm works all the time with huge accelerations: just consider what an access time of 12ms means.
They're harmed by hard shocks.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,077 posts

Hard disk drives tend to survive slow vibrations well. After all, their arm works all the time with huge accelerations: just consider what an access time of 12ms means.
They're harmed by hard shocks.

Yep :), point being EXACTLY HOW MUCH hard? :unsure: ;)

http://www.msfn.org/...internet-noise/

jaclaz

John305

John305

Junior

• Pip
  • 96 posts
Hi well I have seen laptop drives destroyed in 4 months. The ones that do park the heads if you just nudge the table it will park the heads so thats not much of a bump at all. I feel alot of the damage done to laptop hard drives is people walk around with them running doing a task. Its like oh look at this jump up run accross the room to show your Mum or what ever lol. On a train well I have not been on a train in years but 20 years ago I would not use one. But they are alot smoother now and you should have no problems just dont run to the washroom with it running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN