Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Drive Order

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

NATO

NATO

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts
Just a little niggle.

When I run Windows defrag or TuneUP Utilities defrag the drive partitions appear in the right order, C: D: E: F:

But when checkdisk runs at startup the drives are shown as D: E: F: C: (I don't use a bootscreen, using /fastdetect /sos in boot.ini)

The same is true if I use Disk Management.

Clicking on the drive section just jumbles things up into a different order!

Is there any way to get Windows to always put them in the right order.? (Nope!)

I am striving for perfection here!

;-)

I have given up on this since the 'Distributed Link Tracking Service' changed the primary from C to D and the 1st logical from D to C.

jaclaz pointed out that it would be difficult to change back and the MS articles did not help any so I just upped the letters on the other drives.

To: [ D: Primary ]{ [ E: 1st Logical ] [ F: 2nd Logical ] [ G: 3rd Logical ]

And made the DVD drive H:

Just had to change the paths to the folders on the newly lettered drives.

Easiest way out, otherwise I would have to delete all the partitions and re-partition the drive.

Too bad.

Works just fine though and all the other problems have now been resolved. :)

Thanks to all of you and have a nice day.

Ian

Edited by NATO, 08 June 2012 - 02:17 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
I believe that Disk Management, and probably Chkdisk, list the C; D; type drives, they are listed based on which Disc, ie Disc 0, Disc 1, etc, they are located on and on the order that they are added, usually primary partitions first, then logical. The fact that you can reassign drive letters doesn't necessarily change the order they are displayed. It is definitely not straight forward that I've ever figured out.

http://en.wikipedia....tter_assignment
http://social.techne...6b-2eadc7f66345

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

GroupPolicy Tattoo Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
I have never seen C: listed first on the /SOS chkdisk screen, no matter how the partitions are laid out, and I use /SOS all the time.

GL

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,251 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

The /sos switch displays the device driver names while they are being loaded. By default, the Windows Loader screen only echoes progress dots. Use this switch with the /basevideo switch to determine the driver that is triggering a failure.

So... irrelevant.

Clicking on the drive section just jumbles things up into a different order!

"Drive Section"? Do you mean "Volume"? They will be "sorted" by Volume Name and not by Drive Letter. The Lower ("Graphical") will show, as bphlpt suggested, Disk0->Partition1/Partition2/(etc.) also regardless of Drive Letter. Drive Letters "sorting" only occurs in Windows Explorer (afaik) and Defraggers (etc).

Is your OS on the D-driver perchance (second partition)? Could you provide your "BOOT.INI" contents? Just to clarify a couple of things/confusion.

BTW, I don't think you have (based upon your probable partition/drive-letter setup) any "options" to cure your "niggle" (I could be wrong).

Edited by submix8c, 29 May 2012 - 11:56 AM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

GroupPolicy Tattoo Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
@submix8c, /sos also displays the otherwise invisible chkdsk screen (as triggered by autochk). That is when there is no check is scheduled, but how would chkdsk know if it didn't check the drive's dirty flag? I think the same screen is also shown if you boot in safe mode.

NATO

NATO

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts
The drive is partitioned [C:][ + EXTENDED + [D:][ E:][ F:] partitions.]

C: Local Drive Win XP SP3 PRO 01
D: Local Drive Win XP SP3 PRO 02 currently nLite (used to copy to a bootable USB drive and handy for comparison purposes.)
E: Documents/Pictures/Music
F: Video

Boot.ini is as shown below...

[boot loader]
timeout=8
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WIN XP SP3 PRO 01" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=NFCXW2 /Kernel=TUKernel.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="WIN XP SP3 PRO 02" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WIN XP SP3 PRO 01 (TuneUp Backup)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=NFCXW2-BAK

If I take the TuneUP Utilities entries out it looks a bit better...

[boot loader]
timeout=8
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WIN XP SP3 PRO 01" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="WIN XP SP3 PRO 02" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /sos

Is that any help?

Edited by NATO, 30 May 2012 - 05:56 AM.

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,261 posts

The same is true if I use Disk Management.

I guess this and Submix8c answer your question.
Disk Management shows drive in alphabetic "Volume" order simply because it is the 1st column in the window, regardless of the drive letter that appears after the Volume name.
You could try renaming your drives to have them appear in the new order.
1_System1 (C:)
2_System (D:)
3_Data (E:) :)

NATO

NATO

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts
Looks like that is the possible answer. To re-name them in alphabetical or numerical order.

C: [A Local Drive]
D: [B Local Drive]
E: [Documents]
F: [Video]

or...

C: [1 Local Drive]
D: [2 Local Drive]
E: [3 Documents]
F: [4 Video Archive]

I'll give your suggestions a try out tonight.

Thanks all!

Edited by NATO, 31 May 2012 - 01:39 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,212 posts

Looks like that is the possible answer. To re-name them in alphabetical or numerical order.

or...

Thanks all!

If I may, this looks more like logical:
C: [C_XP_PRO_1]
D: [D_XP_PRO_2]
E: [E_Documents]
F: [F_Videos]

and, actually for NO apparent reason :w00t:, a nice related thingy:
http://www.novell.co...ench/11597.html

and some variations of the idea (both cool and uncool):
http://www.sevenforu...drive-icon.html
http://rubenerd.com/...le-drive-icons/
http://www.pauahtun....riveLetter.html

and (should it be needed) remember that Explorer can use somethig different from actual Label of the drive:
http://www.tweaklibr...Explorer/11102/

I guess that disk management (and the chkdsk) use the Label value and not the Explorer Registry one, so you can have a Label of C_drive, D_drive, etc. BUT an Explorer name XP PRO, Documents, etc. :unsure:

jaclaz

NATO

NATO

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts

or...

Thanks all!

and, actually for NO apparent reason :w00t:, a nice related thingy:
http://www.novell.co...ench/11597.html

and some variations of the idea (both cool and uncool):
http://www.sevenforu...drive-icon.html
http://rubenerd.com/...le-drive-icons/
http://www.pauahtun....riveLetter.html

and (should it be needed) remember that Explorer can use somethig different from actual Label of the drive:
http://www.tweaklibr...Explorer/11102/

I guess that disk management (and the chkdsk) use the Label value and not the Explorer Registry one, so you can have a Label of C_drive, D_drive, etc. BUT an Explorer name XP PRO, Documents, etc. :unsure:

jaclaz

Thanks Jaclaz,

The TweakLibrary looks good to me.

I will post back ASAP.

Ian

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,261 posts

There is a problem here: multiboot ("they never learn"). Obviously he can't get it right in both systems but you'd leave him with this in his alternative system:
C: [D_XP_PRO_2] :huh:
D: [C_XP_PRO_1] :blink:

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,212 posts

There is a problem here: multiboot ("they never learn"). Obviously he can't get it right in both systems but you'd leave him with this in his alternative system:
C: [D_XP_PRO_2] :huh:
D: [C_XP_PRO_1] :blink:

Not really.
We don't know HOW exactly NATO has setup his system :unsure:.
He may have done the RIGHT thing (or at least the one I do ;)) which is to have ALWAYS, on *any* OS booted the SAME lettering scheme (any given dirve ALWAYS gets SAME given drive letter).
(i.e. when he boots his second instance of XP the drive is D:\ or if you prefer D:\ is the Boot drive - along the WRONG MS terminology - see http://www.multiboot....uk/system.html )
OR he may have done what kids multi-booting usually do :w00t:, install the second instance after having hidden the first one, and have a same drive getting a different drive letter according to the currently booted OS.

Compare with (among others):
http://reboot.pro/8052/

jaclaz

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,251 posts
BWAHAHAH!!!

As a former non-US-born employer of my step-son use to say... "HAHAHAH! You so funny! You make me raff!"

Thx... I needed that. :w00t:

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

NATO

NATO

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts
If you look at the Logon-Logoff thread and the problem of legacy Teefer for NT and wpsdrvnt driver issues you will see that I have cured all the evils which were plaguing this 10 year old installation by making a new nLite install CDR from the old C: drive installation.

I even have the correct logoff panel instead of the older cream colored one.

Even the root kit has disappeared with a good formatting.

I have now reverted to single boot as it was only a temporary situation.

Problem is that Windows, in its inanimate (?) infinite wisdom, has reassigned drive letters so now the Primary is D: and the 1st logical drive is C:

Maybe it is coming to life like C5...

Many thanks for all your friendly help.

\Ö/

Grrrr!!!

Edited by NATO, 04 June 2012 - 06:05 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,212 posts
@NATO
don't take this as an offence (as it is NOT meant to be one :)) but you haven't cured *anything*.
You simply re-installed.
Medical comparison :w00t: :
I cured the gangrene by amputating the affected limb.
:ph34r:

jaclaz

NATO

NATO

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts

@NATO
don't take this as an offence (as it is NOT meant to be one :)) but you haven't cured *anything*.
You simply re-installed.
Medical comparison.
I cured the gangrene by amputating the affected limb.

*** You can cure gangrene sometimes by applying unripe Papaya in a compress to the affected area.***
That's why it is known as the Medicine Tree. Delcious too, reminds me of when we lived in Singapore.

(GHQ FARELF - Far Eastern Land Forces. 1958-1961)

jaclaz

For years I had a 12MB bad cluster on the C: partition and that has gone too. (Cured!) :whistle:

Three entries in Event Viewer relating to HiPerfcooker and two others adding entries to the Windows Namespace turn out to be present immediately after doing a clean install anyway. Probably some sort of super Alexa. (Learning!) :blink:

Rootkits which appeared on the E: Music partition have also been taken care of. (Cured.) :whistle:

Logon/Logoff with this Belgian (Period) keyboard. (Cured.) :w00t:

Running like a dream thanks to your help.

Edited by NATO, 07 June 2012 - 02:06 AM.

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,261 posts

For years I had a 12MB bad cluster on the C: partition and that has gone too. (Cured!) :whistle:

Of course now they're on D: :D
More seriously, I hope the :whistle: is a sarcastic :whistle: to yourself and not a :yes: to Jaclaz . Otherwise you might be in for a bad surprise in a few months. Better get them back marked as "bad" before your OS tries to actually use them in an unsuspecting way.
Knowing you had bad sectors, you should have gone for a full format on that c:.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,212 posts

Actually one should go through the respective drive manufacturer diagnostics, BEFORE that :angel .
And possibly re-test with a tool like Victoria or mhdd....
Then flip a coin, and whatever is the result :w00t: , change that drive, and the new one will crash in two months time. :ph34r:

Seriously, very few things in my experience are so aleatory as the "expected lifetime" of a disk.

Once upon a time (many, many years ago) I saved some data from a Samsung HD (a 4.3 Gb one, so you understand how much time has passed).
The drive suffered from a rather "heavy" head crash which made several HUNDREDS clusters not only unreadable any more but even not formattable (and in theory there should be magnetic debris all over the disk, likely to ruin quickly the whole surface).
Once I got the data (luckily the actual "important" data was fully recovered) and having installed a new hard disk, I had this "relic" around.
After a few tests with zeroing out, formatting, wiping, etc. with no result, I set it aside.
Being (notoriously) cheap ;) a few years later I decided to make an experiment (I needed a small hard disk for a headless "controller like" machine, of course not in mission critical use).
I simply determined by experiment where the bad clusters were ( a biggish almost contiguous zone around 1/3 of the disk) and simply partitioned the disk in such a way that that zone was left untouched (one partition before and one after the bad zone).
As per today, that machine (and the disk) is still working allright (and has it worked 24/7 for the last - cannot remember exactly - 8 or 9 years).
What gives? :unsure:

jaclaz

NATO

NATO

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Of course now they're on D: :D
More seriously, I hope the :whistle: is a sarcastic :whistle: to yourself and not a :yes: to Jaclaz . Otherwise you might be in for a bad surprise in a few months. Better get them back marked as "bad" before your OS tries to actually use them in an unsuspecting way.

They are gone now. I always use full format on hard drives.

Quick format is reserved for USB sticks and my few remaining diagnostic, partitioning and imaging floppies. (All on CDR now.)

It's a Maxtor drive, just like the first one, which died after a year just outside warranty.

I have a Western Digital on order.

One thing that really is annoying about the MS Documents folder is that the other folders are inside it.

MS should have made separate folders for Documents, Pictures, Music and Video and made it simple for them to be moved to partitions and the Video to a second slave or external drive IMO.

I move them anyway, as it saves time defragmenting.

Edited by NATO, 07 June 2012 - 06:02 AM.

NATO

NATO

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Actually one should go through the respective drive manufacturer diagnostics, BEFORE that :angel .
And possibly re-test with a tool like Victoria or mhdd....
Then flip a coin, and whatever is the result :w00t: , change that drive, and the new one will crash in two months time. :ph34r:

Seriously, very few things in my experience are so aleatory as the "expected lifetime" of a disk.

Once upon a time (many, many years ago) I saved some data from a Samsung HD (a 4.3 Gb one, so you understand how much time has passed).
The drive suffered from a rather "heavy" head crash which made several HUNDREDS clusters not only unreadable any more but even not formattable (and in theory there should be magnetic debris all over the disk, likely to ruin quickly the whole surface).
Once I got the data (luckily the actual "important" data was fully recovered) and having installed a new hard disk, I had this "relic" around.
After a few tests with zeroing out, formatting, wiping, etc. with no result, I set it aside.
Being (notoriously) cheap ;) a few years later I decided to make an experiment (I needed a small hard disk for a headless "controller like" machine, of course not in mission critical use).
I simply determined by experiment where the bad clusters were ( a biggish almost contiguous zone around 1/3 of the disk) and simply partitioned the disk in such a way that that zone was left untouched (one partition before and one after the bad zone).
As per today, that machine (and the disk) is still working allright (and has it worked 24/7 for the last - cannot remember exactly - 8 or 9 years).
What gives? :unsure:

jaclaz

What gives?

Like a lot of things quality control assigns degrees of perfection/imperfection to the drives.

Good ones get a 1 and go to government and the military. Not so good get a 2 down to 6 and the cheaper you buy the cheaper you get.

Government and Military buyers are wise to all this and expect the best.

Yes, I do use the drive diagnostic and do a burn in test.

With the first Maxtor drive I did all this and about three weeks later ... click, click, click, click, click ... stop.

S.M.A.R.T. didn't report any errors either.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,754 posts

Donator

One thing that really is annoying about the MS Documents folder is that the other folders are inside it.

MS should have made separate folders for Documents, Pictures, Music and Video and made it simple for them to be moved to partitions and the Video to a second slave or external drive IMO.

We're talking about XP here. It came out in 2001... Do you remember what computing was like back then? A large picture file was 300k and digital cameras had floppy disks in them. Video files were not as common of something to download (and the quality was horrible). I'd expect the planning for XP and its My Documents folder was even earlier than that. The fact that they were smart enough to include those folders it remarkable enough.

But TBH, I never used My Documents or any of those "My" folders inside due to performance issues with how it is tied into startup and the profile.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

NATO

NATO

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts
I have given up on this since the 'Distributed Link Tracking Service' changed the primary from C to D and the 1st logical from D to C.

jaclaz pointed out that it would be difficult to change back and the MS articles did not help any so I just upped the letters on the other drives.

To: [ D: Primary ]{ [ E: 1st Logical ] [ F: 2nd Logical ] [ G: 3rd Logical ]

And made the DVD drive H:

Just had to change the paths to the folders.

Easiest way out, otherwise I would have to delete all the partitions and re-partition the drive.

chkdsk still jumbles up the drive order.

Too bad.

Thanks anyway and have a nice day.

Edited by NATO, 08 June 2012 - 02:28 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,212 posts

No need whatever to re-partition, but if you have not the patience (and abilities) needed, you can well re-install, this time using a migrate.inf file and have the letters assigned the way you want them to be.

jaclaz

NATO

NATO

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts
Drive letters continued...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"ShowDriveLettersFirst"=dword:00000004

This setting - only - shows drive letters in front of names in Explorer.

However in Defrag and Computer Management the drive letters are still - after - the names!

Is there any way to make this a uniform setting throughout the system?

Additionally: If you open say, the system32 folder, and hold down the Ctrl key and then tap the + on the NumPad the columns are sorted semi-automatically.

Is there any way for the system to do this fully automatically not only in the folders but also in the various listings in Event Viewer, etc?

Plus.... Is there any way to get the My Pictures folder to always show Thumbnails and - then - to always show the contents of each Thumbnail folder as a Filmstrip instead of having to sort this out every time you open the (My) Pictures folder.

I wonder what Apple does.... ¿

:scream: \Ö/

Roffen

Roffen

• 46 posts
New at this forum, hope I am not braking too many rules by posting my question here:

I have three SATA disks on my computer, and am in the process of reorganizing the setup.

I have had Win2k, XP, and Win7 installed, each on its own drive, using bios setup to select boot order in order to boot the desired system.

But a boot.ini approach will make life much easier for me.

I have backed up everything so I can start from scratch.

One of the things I am unable to fully understand is the mechanism of drive letter assignments.

But I want a clean and straightforward setup, with C: as the pivot regardless of which Win version I boot, and with all other volumes always having the same drive letter.

My ideas:

1. disk 0, one partition for each of the three Os's. But can/will they all be C: respectively after booting?

2. disk 0, all three Os's in the same partition. I assume it would always be C: regardless of OS. But I am afraid I'll run into trouble and won't be able to get all three in there, not least because I suspect the next installation will delete the previous one. Is there a workaround solution for that problem?

3. Each system on it's own drive, with a partition for common data (text/music) on one or two of the drives. That looks like the most problematic approach.

I wish I knew how to obtain the desired result. Am tired of installation problems, want to use the computer as the toy it is supposed to be. BTW, I am 82, please don't be too critical of me.

If all else is right, I think I could edit or create the boot.ini file that I would need if the installation process could not do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN