Now they're chopping up the Start Button's bones

JorgeA

Andrea,

I second your idea of waiting a few days before installing Windows 8 RP. In my case I have a machine with Windows 7 and Developer Preview partitions, plus a CP VHD. I'll wait to see if it's possible to run a second VHD as well, this time for the RP.

Regarding the Start Menu and Button, the concern (as reported in the link, up there in the original post) is that Microsoft is trying to root out all code that makes things such as Classic Shell even possible. I'm hoping that they fail. ;)

Welcome to MSFN!

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Well I only read today on the web from some websites, that Microsoft wants to try to stop third party software from bringing back the start button and Windows start menu in Windows 8 RP. If or not this is true I don't know, but I hope it is not. Because I can't work with out my Windows XP or Windows 7 start menu. As the Metro start menu is not the same at all. It does not show all of the programs like the Windows 7 start menu does.It's just not the same.

But I hope if it is true, that software makers like Classic Shell and others will find away to override this.So that Classic Shell and other start menu software will still work on Windows 8 RP and future versions.Surly Microsoft cannot disable third party start menu programs from working completely on Windows 8? There must be a way round this,I hope. As it will be very difficult for me and other Windows users to manage with just the Metro start menu. Andrea Borman.

ClassicShell still works

...for now. These latest changes aren't in the RP, much like getting rid of Aero.

I find it sort of hilarious that new ISOs are out and I'm not excited one bit (it's the first time this happens with any OS ever). I don't even plan on downloading it. Why would I anyway? Just to see exactly how badly they managed to to screw it up?

name='MagicAndre1981' timestamp='1338497804' post='999623']

ClassicShell still works:

I have just found out,Windows 8 Release Preview is now available for download on the Microsoft website. And you can download it right now.

But the question is does Classic Shell still work on the new Windows 8 Release Preview? I am afraid to try the Release Preview at this point in time, until I know if or not I can use an third party start menu software like Classic Shell on the new Windows 8 RP.

So the question is who is going to be brave enough to go first to install Windows 8 RP? Andrea Borman.

Edited by andreaborman

Yes,I have just seen a post on another Windows 8 forum and that poster wrote that Classic Shell DOES WORK on Windows 8 Release Preview.

See here-My link

So the problem is solved and all that worry was for nothing.

So all I have got to do now is to go ahead and install the new Windows 8 RP,when I am ready. Which won't be today as it is going to be a lot of work installing the OS and reinstalling all my software again. But now, I and other Windows users know that we can have our start button and Windows 7 or Windows XP start menu on Windows 8 RP.Using Classic Shell or other start menu software like we did on Windows 8 Consumer Preview.Which is very good news.

And by the way, you can still carry on using Windows 8 CP until January 2013.And Windows 8 RP is also until January 2013. So you have a choice of which version of Windows 8 to use.

But why did other people post on the web that we could not use Classic Shell or other start menu software in Windows 8 RP?

Yours and other peoples post proves they were wrong . Other websites should get their facts right before worrying people with misinformation like that.

But thank you for letting us know that Classic Shell works on Windows 8 RP. And as the RP is the RC of Windows 8 it will be very much like the final version of Windows 8. That will go out on sale to the public. So we should be able to carry on using Classic Shell in the final version of Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

But why did other people post on the web that we could not use Classic Shell or other start menu software in Windows 8 RP?

I've don't recall anyone saying it won't work in the RP. That code and other things like Aero are being removed now, so you will see those changes in the final version.

as the RP is the RC of Windows 8 it will be very much like the final version of Windows 8

It's not an RC. They're still doing changes. Even MS said themselves on their blog that some of their latest changes wouldn't be in the RP and I doubt they're done working on it either.

I wouldn't take Classic Shell running on Win8 RTM for granted yet. Not that I even care anymore (about Win8 I mean, not the start menu)

Andrea,

I concur with CoffeeFiend. The reports are that Microsoft is currently in the process of removing Windows code that makes Classic Shell possible. So, while we are still able to enjoy that feature in the Release Preview, we shouldn't count on still being able to do so when the final, commercial version of Windows 8 comes out in the fall.

Therefore, unless xpclient (or someone as expert as him) devises a new way to bring back the Start Menu/Button, all we can say is: enjoy while it lasts!

--JorgeA

But the question is does Classic Shell still work on the new Windows 8 Release Preview?

yes look at the Buildnumber. 8400 = RP.

Paul Thurrott wants traffic for his site? I don't know.

name='JorgeA' timestamp='1338531881' post='999673']

Andrea,

I concur with CoffeeFiend. The reports are that Microsoft is currently in the process of removing Windows code that makes Classic Shell possible. So, while we are still able to enjoy that feature in the Release Preview, we shouldn't count on still being able to do so when the final, commercial version of Windows 8 comes out in the fall.

Therefore, unless xpclient (or someone as expert as him) devises a new way to bring back the Start Menu/Button, all we can say is: enjoy while it lasts!

--JorgeA

I have just come from the Classic Shell forums and they too have confirmed from another poster who has installed Windows 8 RP that Classic Shell is working on Windows 8 RP.Here-My link

So whoever wrote those posts on the web telling us that we won't be able to use third party software in Windows 8 RP to get the start button and Windows XP or Windows 7 start menu back is wrong. And it is simply not true and the information is deliberately misleading.

So I now look forward to trying the new Windows 8 RP when I get the time to install it. with Classic Shell of course. There are several other start menu software's that work on Windows 8. But Classic Shell is the best one as it has many customisation options and their start menu's look identical to the real Windows XP and Windows 7 start menu,with a few extra features thrown in.

The RTM is the version that will go out on sale in the shops,am I right about this?

But it is probably true that Microsoft prefer us not to use a third party software to bring back the start button and Windows 7 start menu. But if you want the Windows 7 start menu as a lot of Windows users and I do.Then you can use third party start menu software on Windows 8,including on the RP version. And as the RP version is very close to how the final release will be.It is unlikely that the final version will change very much. And by then Classic Shell and other start menu software will update their codes to work on the final version of Windows 8. By the time it goes out on sale in the shops.

But the important thing is that,I and other users who want the Windows XP or Windows 7 start menu on Windows 8. Can be assured that yes,we can use Classic Shell and other start menu software on the new Windows 8 RP. We now know that it is working.

As for the removal of the Aero theme.Well I have never used Aero,on Windows Vista or Windows 7. I use Windows Classic theme and then change the grey taskbar and dark blue desktop to a color of my choice. So i won't miss Aero. But I would like to see Windows Classic on Windows 8.But there is no Windows Classic,just Windows 8 Basic.Which is like Windows 7 Basic. That is a shame. Andrea Borman.

post-355949-0-32467400-1338541246_thumb.

Here is my Windows XP start menu on Windows 8 Consumer Preview,which will also work on Windows 8 RP when I install it. This is the Classic Shell start menu and you can also create your own custom button as I have done. I downloaded some Windows XP start orbs from a site called Devant Art and added them to Classic Shell.

As you can see my desktop looks very much like Windows XP.and all of the Windows XP and Windows Vista software you see in the start menu and desktop works on Windows 8. That's the good thing about Windows 8 you can run all of your Windows XP software,Windows Movie maker 2.1,Windows XP Sound recorder,Windows XP Wordpad and Paint and even WMP11 for Windows 7 and WMP 5.1,Mplay32 on Windows 8. As well as all of the Windows Vista software,Windows Movie Maker 6,Windows Movier Maker 2.6,Vista Sidebar,Windows Mail and Windows Calendar on Windows 8.And all of the Windows XP and Windows 95 games. That's Microsoft Entertainment Pack if you have 32 bit Windows 8 like I have got.

My latest addition is the Windows XP sound scheme and Windows XP song and the Windows XP screen savers from Windows XP on Windows 8.My windows 8 is getting more like Windows XP every day. Andrea Borman.