Get WAIK Tools w/o downloading the huge ISO's

JFX

So the only reason for bigger download would be the Wimboot optimization (recompression) of an wim image.

It is very important functionality that the number of esd setups very increased because of small their small sizes. Winntsetup updated for esds? Theese tools will need to be used on it i think.

Meanwhile, Note to everyone: Windows 8.1 (NT 6.3) ADK/WAIk Tools dropped support for NT 5.x.

For example Win 8's imagex.exe can working NT 5.1 and 5.2.

Good to know.

Still as a note, the "OS independent" tool/library by synchronicity

http://reboot.pro/topic/18345-wimlib-with-imagex-implementation/

has been updated - in an experimental version - to support WOF:

http://reboot.pro/topic/18345-wimlib-with-imagex-implementation/?p=183521

Hopefully, before or later, we will be able to not need the WAIK tools at all ;).

jaclaz

It is very important functionality that the number of esd setups very increased because of small their small sizes. Winntsetup updated for esds? Theese tools will need to be used on it i think.

Yes, Winntsetup supports esd. But only decrypted ones (likes the ones dism creates)

For decypting there seems to be tool available at MDL forum but i have not tried it yet.

Tools on MDL works pretty nice. As i know only new dism 6.3.9600.17031 supports to apply esds and it should be inside WADK for Windows 8.1 Update. If you do not see a reason for to add new adk you managed to get it work with older dism version? Because Winntsetup uses the waik tools

Meanwhile, Note to everyone: Windows 8.1 (NT 6.3) ADK/WAIk Tools dropped support for NT 5.x.

For example Win 8's imagex.exe can working NT 5.1 and 5.2.

What is the binary version of that imagex.exe? I have a testing version of a Win8 PE that may hopefully replace the Win7... It is a requirement as some hardware will not boot WinPE4... I only use imagex.exe for limited deployments of XP and DOS images still. As long as the deploy option would still work with those OSes, I'd be fine.

Yeah, some files are missing because the download would require a few hundred MB.

But you can simply use the Waik_4 tools, they are still compatible with Windows XP.

Yeah, some files are  missing because the download would require a few hundred MB.

But you can simply use the Waik_4 tools, they are still compatible with Windows XP.

Yes, but I asked because I seemingly found some differences in the effects of using various versions of bootsect.exe.

I'll do a "full" (as much as I can at least) test and report results on a new thread.

jaclaz

I noticed that the bootsect.exe is present in both the Waik_4 and Waik_4_1 folders, but missing in both the Waik_2 and Waik_3 folders.

Just for the record, the x86 builds of the two files listed below run OK on Win XP SP3 (being thus the most up-to-date versions of those apps to do so):

bootsect.exe  --  version: 6.3.9431.0 having 119,912 bytes; MD-5: EB9398CD972316ECC278D6DD367F42E2

oscdimg.exe  --  version: 2.56.0.1010 having 135,272 bytes; MD-5: 23F4002FEB768A48C725FB7D79959721

Later edit: However, one needs GWT v. 1.5.0 (which is not anymore the latest) to get the above files.

Just for the record, the x86 build of oscdimg.exe (new compilation but same version as before) still runs OK on Win XP SP3 (being thus the most up-to-date version of it to do so):

oscdimg.exe  --  version: 2.56.0.1010 having 135,272 bytes; MD-5: 0D82B993BEA949906A3589DB5CB0B9B1

OTOH, the new x86 build of bootsect.exe (version: 6.3.9600.16384 having 100,968 bytes; MD-5: 0D3C65224934D71BD02D03F1251C6E10) requires at least Vista to run, so the last version to support Win XP SP3 remains 6.3.9431.0, from the Win 8.1 Preview.

... you can simply use the Waik_4 tools, they are still compatible with Windows XP.

... I asked because I seemingly found some differences in the effects of using various versions of bootsect.exe. I'll do a "full" (as much as I can at least) test and report results on a new thread.

So, IMO, the correct bootsect.exe for general use is version: 6.3.9431.0. :yes:

So here is again a download link to the older GWT which retrieves it: GetWaikTools_150.7z

And, BTW, it's never too much to say: Thanks, JFX, you rock! :thumbup

So, IMO, the correct bootsect.exe for general use is version: 6.3.9431.0.  :yes:

The point I was trying to make is that "general" use is different from "specific" use, and the "most recent" is better" is often - if not always, a false assumption, and "correct" in this specific case is "vague" (if not downright pointless :w00t:, as it depends on what you want to get as result).

Ideally, as soon as I will have completed my tests, and I will have started a new thread specific to the various bootsect.exe versions and their effects, you could move the last few posts to there, not to clutter this one :).

jaclaz 

Just provide a title (may be via PM, if you so prefer) and I can split this thread starting at post # 69, so that you then become the thread starter of the new thread. Or do you prefer to split this thread even above that (and if so, at what post, exactly)?

BTW, by "general use" I mean the first one one employs to unravel any unspecified crappy blorkiness he/she may encounter on his/her day-to-day work (from an ontological point-of-view, of couse). :P

• 4 months later...