.NET Framework 4.5 for 2000/XP/2003/Vista?

tomasz86

I've downloaded the new .NET Framework 4.5 RC and checked it briefly. It has exactly the same structure as .NET Framework 4.0 (folders etc.). Even if M$ blocks XP/2003/Vista in the MSI installer it should still be possible to make a OnePiece style true addon and install it in 2000/XP/2003/Vista from an INF file.

Edited by tomasz86

There are some dependency problems but they probably can be fixed manually. I don't know how the situation looks like in XP or 2003 as I only have access to Win2k at the moment. I don't plan to do anything more with it until a final version is released.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't see most devs (myself included) moving to .NET 4.5 anytime soon. It just has so very little to offer besides async* (which you can use on .NET 4.0 anyway, via the Async Targeting Pack). I think it's pretty much pointless, unless you want to make Metro apps. And the said Metro apps won't run on Vista and older anyway. Also, the new VS Express editions (which would use .NET 4.5) only makes Metro apps so there goes a large part of potential uses.

The only other thing I can think of is being able to use variables for loops inside lambda expressions now. It's kinda nice (overdue really), but that's hardly worth losing half the user base and buying new VS11 licenses for.