Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Multi user sql server and visual studio application

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

deliamadalina

deliamadalina
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 02-June 12
Hy. I need some help with a problem i've got. I have a sql database and a visual studio aplication for which I have made a setup. I can install the setup on any PC connected to my wireless network and I can populate my database through it. This works just fine. But there is somenthing else i need to do. I want for my visual studio application, when I press a button, to launch an external application from my PC (GNS3.exe) . I have made it work on my computer (the server) with the following command: Process.Start("gns3.exe") or Process.Start("C:\users......\gns3.exe"). Now I want all the clients from my network to acces it as well, but i haven't been able to make it work.
So, I want the users to acces a GNS3 application from my PC, i want them to be able to modify the application and save their work so that i can see later what they have done.
I hope someone can help me, I wold really apreciate it. Thank you.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,921 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

So you are not using any code management software like Team Foundation Server?
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

deliamadalina

deliamadalina
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 02-June 12
I am using Visual Basic. I have a WindowsForm Application.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,921 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Well, Team Foundation Server replaced Visual SourceSafe for source control. You can see some of the features here:
http://www.microsoft...server/overview

It isn't a free product, but you may have access to it depending on if you have a TechNet or MSDN subscription.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

deliamadalina

deliamadalina
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 02-June 12
Thanks. I hope it will work. But I still have a few questions. Does the Trial of Team Foundation Server have any restrictions (accept the obvious one of 90 days)? The installation works even if i have Visual Studio 2008 installed on my PC? Can I import my application in Team Foundation Server? How does it work? Sorry for asking so many questions....

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,921 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I haven't used any source control programs since using Visual SourceSafe in 2005, so I'm antiquated in that department by now. :D

TFS is designed for very large companies, and may be more than you need (and more than your wallet needs), so I also found some other platforms that are more-or-less just source control and either very cheap or free.

Apache Subversion (SVN)
http://en.wikipedia....ache_Subversion

Git
http://en.wikipedia..../Git_(software)

Mercurial
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercurial

I am not in the position to recommend one or the other, as I haven't used any of them (not even TFS). ;)
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

deliamadalina

deliamadalina
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 02-June 12
OK. Thanks.

uid0

uid0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Joined 12-June 06
A source control package will only help you share access to source code - if GNS3.exe is a third party app with no source, you're out of luck.

deliamadalina

deliamadalina
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 02-June 12
sorry for the delay. I have abandoned the idea. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users