New to unattended windows creation

When integrating drivers with nLite,I know intel chipset go first but I read somewhere that network come second (maybe nuhi's guide can't remember) is this matter of fact or not matter a way that the rest of drivers integrate ?

Is there an optimal preference ?

I just got a WU update today 'KB2699988' but I know this didn't show up on this install when first integrated,check and double check,etc... nothing show up but until today.

I use registry ccleaner everytime I uninstall a few programs. Is this possibly a cause ? I know update integrated and was proper as I also test on VM.

KB2699988 contains some registry entries but I doubt a cleaner would have touched those. I don't recommend running registry cleaners. They can cause problems.

If it wasn't in fact cleaning the registry, I'm at a loss to explain why it showed up. That is if you haven't already applied it. Then we can check file versions.

KB2699988 contains some registry entries but I doubt a cleaner would have touched those. I don't recommend running registry cleaners. They can cause problems.

If it wasn't in fact cleaning the registry, I'm at a loss to explain why it showed up. That is if you haven't already applied it. Then we can check file versions.

Err.. I do same thing and install because it was on pop up balloon and didn't think to check first,but no big deal, this cd perfect and first time it happen. I wait till next install but don't expect again.

I will stop using regcleaner but I thought ccleaner 'reg' section was less problem than others,such as reg mechanic,etc..... Anything that find 350 errors first time can't be good.. :D

edit:

Edited by O0o0O0O0o

Hmmm... I just realized something. You are using a Dell XP Home OEM w/SP2.

I have a Dell XP Pro w/SP3. There is (or may be) an "$OEM$" folder on it in the ROOT as well as a preexisting "WINNT.SIF" in the "I386" folder. Also, there MAY be some added/changed files in the "I386" folder (in my case for SATA drivers among other items).

This MIGHT cause you some problems. :unsure:

Hmmm... I just realized something. You are using a Dell XP Home OEM w/SP2.

I have a Dell XP Pro w/SP3. There is (or may be) an "$OEM$" folder on it in the ROOT as well as a preexisting "WINNT.SIF" in the "I386" folder. Also, there MAY be some added/changed files in the "I386" folder (in my case for SATA drivers among other items).

This MIGHT cause you some problems. :unsure:

There is an oem folder in my source and I replace winnt.sif in i386 with one I make from deployment tool .

-X- I did tweeks today and made new cd,did install and no problems, owever I noticed "7.6.7600.256 of the Windows Update Agent" this must be new,yes ?

There is an oem folder in my source and I replace winnt.sif in i386 with one I make from deployment tool .
Allow me to help you create a Clean XP Home SP3 CD (without Dell stuff and Older Drivers).

1 - Make a Folder (any name) on your HDD

2 - Sort the CD Contents by Date and copy ONLY those Files NOT dated (MM-DD-YYYY) 08-04-2004

3 - Create a NOTMS.CMD file (using Notepad) as follows:

dir "x:\Folder\*.*" /OD > NOTMS.TXT

Where "x:\" is the HDD and "folder" is the name of the folder you created. Save using "Save As" and "All Files" with the name given in your "My Documents" folder.

4 - Open "My Documnts" folder and double-click on the "NOTMS.CMD"

5 - Compress/ZIP the resulting "NOTMS.TXT" and upload it here (it will be very small).

The point of this is to distinguish WHICH files you DO need (by removing any "extra" that will be in the list) to create a Clean XP Home SP3 CD as a running starting point without the additional (and unnecessary) Files/Folders. Note that the "NOTMS.TXT" does NOT reveal any "secret" or Proprietary information.

Your option as to doing it or not, but I guarantee that you have unnecessary "junk" on your newly created CD. I've already prepared the procedure. I just need the List...

Very Kind of you Mr. submix8c but I'm going to buy a used Latitude/w xp pro for 150 $. Very kind of you and -X- to give top excellence in support. :)

This computer like 9-10 years old so doubtful any 2004 folders in this OEM, but much appreciated support as I will make unattended for new latitude.

Suits me... ;)

I was, however, referring to the CD contents (Dell XP Home with SP2) that is specifically for your Dell PC for the purpose of "Pre-Activated" (but "changed" to an "Official" SP3).

Side note - it APPEARS that you shouldn't have any problems (based on my check of another OEM XP-SP2) since SP3 "overwrites" certain "OEM modified SP2" INF (etc) files but WILL leave extraneous files behind. Basically, it would have given you "Generic XP Home SP3" as if you'd purchased the OEM CD Package, except the Dell-specific files for Pre-Activate would be there (you already have the "special" key in Original WINNT.SIF).

C-ya when you come back for help with your new toy (IF you need it)! (P.S. IF it is a pre-installed XP-Pro, BE CAREFUL not to booger the HDD as to "wipe" a potential Restore Partition - you want to keep that stuff.)

Suits me... ;)

I was, however, referring to the CD contents (Dell XP Home with SP2) that is specifically for your Dell PC for the purpose of "Pre-Activated" (but "changed" to an "Official" SP3).

Side note - it APPEARS that you shouldn't have any problems (based on my check of another OEM XP-SP2) since SP3 "overwrites" certain "OEM modified SP2" INF (etc) files but WILL leave extraneous files behind. Basically, it would have given you "Generic XP Home SP3" as if you'd purchased the OEM CD Package, except the Dell-specific files for Pre-Activate would be there (you already have the "special" key in Original WINNT.SIF).

C-ya when you come back for help with your new toy (IF you need it)! (P.S. IF it is a pre-installed XP-Pro, BE CAREFUL not to booger the HDD as to "wipe" a potential Restore Partition - you want to keep that stuff.)

Good information, Thank you. I intend to keep this and buy laptop for convienence as well as main one. Not the best laptop but newer than this.

Let me ask you, is there any good purpose in keeping the 'restore Partition' since im getting the pysical xp disk ?

Good information, Thank you. I intend to keep this and buy laptop for convienence as well as main one. Not the best laptop but newer than this.

Let me ask you, is there any good purpose in keeping the 'restore Partition' since im getting the pysical xp disk ?

Depends on whether it's "made" the same as the XP Home one (with extra "stuff") or a "Recovery CD/DVD Set". Your Other Dell should have (once) had one on it unless it was "wiped" (by you or someone else).

The "physical disk" should be like the XP Home one you attached in a previous post, except it will say "XP Pro" and the SP-level. Again, I have the Dell XP Pro w/SP3 CD - that was the one I used to "test" which "files/folders" could be "removed/kept" for your XP Home w/SP2 (you were going to / already did Slipstream SP3 onto it, thus some files were "upgraded", replacing the Dell-specific changes). Mind you, IF the XP Pro CD is of the same type, then certain files would have to be replaced/removed based on what I know of the Contents of the SP3 Full Package (KB936929). It is "possible" to create a CD from them that would be (like I said" EXACTLY like one from a "Generic OEM" Package (usually a 2-cd set) except the 4 key files. The CD could be used for nealy any PC BUT you would have to have the COA key if it's not a Dell PC. Again -YOUR DELL- key is inside another file (not found on OEM Package or any Standard Retail package). In some cases, a PC Manufacturer would supply the CD but not the File "WINNT.SIF" thus forcing you to use the COA key and having to Activate By Phone (the "Generic OEM" Package).

If it's more of a "Restore CD" then you may NOT want to wipe the Recover Partitions.

For more info on Dell PC's and Restore functions, do a Google search on the words "goodell" and "Dell" (without quotes). Some very valuable info there. That person is "almost" an expert...

Thanks to you for that information submix8c. Had power outage (Maryland) just restored power today.

Question. Would it be preferable to leave update engine out of integration until new engine here ?

The one provided works fine - keep it in. If you want to "update" it just go here and do a little reading (the whole thread for the remainder of any "fixes" to get the latest and prevent any creation errors). After the "latest" is built, you will, however have to rebuild the Add-On CAB with the appropriate contents (look inside the UDC batch file for how it's done). That part I leave to you as -X- is not yet implementing it.