Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Performance Improvements?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: GeekBench (or equivalent) Results (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Which performed better?

1. Windows 7 (8 votes [47.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.06%

2. Windows 8 (9 votes [52.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

[FMC]Ravage

[FMC]Ravage

• 32 posts
  • Joined 08-October 03

yes, Win8 is faster. It is what I've expected from Windows 7.

But the fasted OS is useless if it has an unusable UI like Windows 8 has.

I agree, Metro is an awful desktop UI. Have you tried Classic Shell & FxxkMetro?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I'm currently testing this pact his is shows you how much faster Win8 can be:

http://www.msfn.org/...-for-windows-8/
Posted Image

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05
Classic Event Viewer works on Windows 8 too and is extremely fast. :) Although I have ruled out using the Windows 8 GUI abomination full-time ever. Just evaluating it.

Windows 8 startup unless you hold down Shift when doing a shutdown is just resume-from-hibernate and then log in, whereas Windows 7 "startup" is always shutdown+boot again unless you hibernate. I mostly always hibernate so resume from hibernation is only slightly faster on Windows 8 than 7. IMHO it is not fair to compare Windows 8 startup with Windows 7 startup. Compare the resume for hibernation times or 8's "startup" with 7's resume from hibernate.

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,244 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Windows 8 startup unless you hold down Shift when doing a shutdown is just resume-from-hibernate and then log in, whereas Windows 7 "startup" is always shutdown+boot again unless you hibernate. I mostly always hibernate so resume from hibernation is only slightly faster on Windows 8 than 7. IMHO it is not fair to compare Windows 8 startup with Windows 7 startup. Compare the resume for hibernation times or 8's "startup" with 7's resume from hibernate.

xpclient,

Huh -- I didn't realize that! So, if your Win8 has gotten sluggish, then simply shutting down won't help, as it will only resume from hibernation into the same borked session. So it's misleading when we read all these claims about how much faster Win8 is at booting up. (Wonder if some of the people who are touting Win8's bootup time even realize what's going on.)

Nice find.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 27 July 2012 - 01:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users