Performance Improvements?

SausageHack

GeekBench (or equivalent) Results  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which performed better?

Win8 seems to pop open those file contents less than a second after inserting the key. The same key takes 5 seconds or so to open on Win7. Although... I would say that Win98 can use a USB key just as fast as Win8...

Huh -- I hadn't noticed a difference. Now I'll have to go and do some comparisons! :)

For whatever reason, though, none of the three flavors of Win8 that I have will read a CD or DVD if it's not already inserted when I boot up the system. Two of them are on VHD's and the third (the Developer Preview) is on its own HDD partition, along with Win7 which does see DVD's just fine. It's as if I hadn't put anything in the tray.

--JorgeA

Yes I've heard of this before... I think even seen it happen with Vista before. I don't think I've tried to use the ODD after having installed Windows 8 yet. I plan on doing some more development for Win8 on Monday so maybe I can try it if I remember.

I am only dealing with Windows 8 RP x64 tho, not touching 32bit version at all I don't think.

I am only dealing with Windows 8 RP x64 tho, not touching 32bit version at all I don't think.

Yeah, my copies are all x64 too.

I'll be curious to hear how it goes with you.

--JorgeA

For whatever reason, though, none of the three flavors of Win8 that I have will read a CD or DVD if it's not already inserted when I boot up the system. Two of them are on VHD's and the third (the Developer Preview) is on its own HDD partition, along with Win7 which does see DVD's just fine. It's as if I hadn't put anything in the tray.

--JorgeA

Don't know what to tell you... :(

th_dvdwin8.jpg

Don't know what to tell you... :(

Huh, how weird. Maybe Win8 is fussy.

(Just to be clear, for the sake of other readers: it's an HP machine brand-new last summer, so it's not like we're dealing with some obsolescent hardware here.)

Glad that it worked for you, though.

--JorgeA

• 2 weeks later...

I use "my event viewer" from nirsoft (free)

its instant fast

windows one sucks too much :P

I thought I was the only one with these issues :lol:

The built-in one is so darn slow to initialize and there's just *so much* inane stuff to filter out (including what one could call "normal errors" which you'll never get rid of :realmad: ) that I wrote my own tool (using the EventLogReader class) to read our server logs... It only took mere minutes to write something better (using a basic EventLogQuery to remove most of the unwanted junk, then PLINQ to filter out the data using all CPU cores). Just reading all of the data (unfiltered) i.e. tens of thousands of entries using the EventLog only takes a handful of miliseconds... It's like 3 orders of magnitude faster than the MMC snapin takes to get to a usable state. That's kind of sad when you think about it really.

Instead of fixing issues like this, they spend their energy on their awful tablet UI and then they force it onto desktop users...

• 4 weeks later...

yes, Win8 is faster. It is what I've expected from Windows 7.

But the fasted OS is useless if it has an unusable UI like Windows 8 has.

I agree, Metro is an awful desktop UI. Have you tried Classic Shell & FxxkMetro?

Classic Event Viewer works on Windows 8 too and is extremely fast. :) Although I have ruled out using the Windows 8 GUI abomination full-time ever. Just evaluating it.

Windows 8 startup unless you hold down Shift when doing a shutdown is just resume-from-hibernate and then log in, whereas Windows 7 "startup" is always shutdown+boot again unless you hibernate. I mostly always hibernate so resume from hibernation is only slightly faster on Windows 8 than 7. IMHO it is not fair to compare Windows 8 startup with Windows 7 startup. Compare the resume for hibernation times or 8's "startup" with 7's resume from hibernate.

Windows 8 startup unless you hold down Shift when doing a shutdown is just resume-from-hibernate and then log in, whereas Windows 7 "startup" is always shutdown+boot again unless you hibernate. I mostly always hibernate so resume from hibernation is only slightly faster on Windows 8 than 7. IMHO it is not fair to compare Windows 8 startup with Windows 7 startup. Compare the resume for hibernation times or 8's "startup" with 7's resume from hibernate.

xpclient,

Huh -- I didn't realize that! So, if your Win8 has gotten sluggish, then simply shutting down won't help, as it will only resume from hibernation into the same borked session. So it's misleading when we read all these claims about how much faster Win8 is at booting up. (Wonder if some of the people who are touting Win8's bootup time even realize what's going on.)

Nice find.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA