Windows Media Player and Other XP Updates

Monroe

Well I have gotten to the stage of putting some Windows updates on my XP setup and also I see there is Windows Media Player 11 available. Just like to know if it would be wise to go with WMP 11 or stay with WMP 9 or 10. I mainly use KMPlayer but I would like a version of WMP also on the machine, which for now is WMP 9.

What about the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool May 2012 ... a good download or something to avoid? Also, what about this Microsoft Security Essentials?

Have not put any of those updates on my setup yet, probably very hard to remove if it's a mistake ... just like some input on what MS programs not to put on through Windows Update.

I have not put any versions .NET Framework on my system ... if you have it installed, how high a version should I go ... think I saw version 4.5 at the update site ... or just leave it off completely. I know there are some software programs that require .NET Framework to be installed but I usually can search around for a similar program that doesn't need .NET Framework to work.

thanks ...

1. WMP11 - Some websites use WMP to stream videos so if you use them then maybe having the newest version may be worth it. Otherwise it's not really necessary.

2. Malicious Software Removal Tool - I personally find it useless :P

3. .NET Framework - once installed it doesn't really affect the system in any negative way so I prefer to have them all installed just in case some applications may need their files.

I can't say anything about Microsoft Security Essentials because I haven't really used it. Aren't non-M$ free AV solutions like Avast, AVG or Avira better?

Thanks tomasz86 for your input. I was also thinking about AVG or Avast early today when I came across this article about the 9 Best Free Antivirus Programs and the MS Microsoft Security Essentials was number three on the list. I was searching for input on the best free antivirus programs for Windows XP.

Microsoft Security Essentials

Security Essentials from Microsoft is definitely one of the best free antivirus programs available right now. Microsoft is relatively new to the antivirus game but don't let that scare you - Security Essentials is a fantastic antivirus program that protects you from all sorts of malware, updates automatically and is incredibly easy to use.

Microsoft Security Essentials supports Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP.

Two of the biggest reasons I added Microsoft Security Essentials to this list of the best free antivirus software is because it's directly from Microsoft and also because it's very easy to see if you're computer is secure from threats: if the icon next to your clock is green, you're in good; if it's red, something is wrong.

The Bottom Line

Microsoft Security Essentials is easily one of the best free antivirus program available. I like it because it's produced by Microsoft and because it's really easy to see if the program is protecting you as it should be.

Important: Microsoft Security Essentials provides constant virus protection, also called on-access or resident protection, for free. This means that Microsoft Security Essentials can completely replace antivirus software from companies like McAfee and Norton that charge for their software and for yearly access to updates.

Pros

* Provides resident protection from viruses, spyware and other malware

* Works with Windows 7, Vista, and XP

* Virus definitions are updated automatically and regularly

* Very easy to install

* Does not attempt to install unrelated software

Cons

* Does not include a silent mode (so you might be bothered during gaming)

Description

* Microsoft Security Essentials includes fully functional engines to guard against viruses and most other kinds of malware.

* Includes a very easy to use on-demand scanner for manual malware checks.

* Windows 7, Vista, and XP are all supported operating systems for Microsoft Security Essentials.

* Simple green/red indicator makes it very easy to see if you're protected.

* Microsoft Security Essentials updates regularly to keep its malware knowledge current.

Guide Review - Microsoft Security Essentials

Security Essentials is Microsoft's first attempt at an antivirus program, free or otherwise. My take: they did an excellent job. It was super easy to install and even easier to understand and use. Microsoft Security Essentials even trumps most of the popular, expensive antivirus options out there.

... here's the link to the whole article.

9 Best Free Antivirus Programs

http://freebies.about.com/od/computerfreebies/tp/best-free-antivirus.htm

... I normally don't have an antivirus program installed ... don't like them "running" all the time ... I decided to go with the Kaspersky Rescue CD ... it was just updated on June 3rd ... yesterday ...

Download FREE Bootable Rescue CDs from Kaspersky, BitDefender, AVG, Avira, F-Secure, VIPRE, Panda and Dr.Web Antivirus

http://www.askvg.com/download-free-bootable-rescue-cds-from-kaspersky-bitdefender-avira-f-secure-and-others/

Kaspersky Rescue CD:

Kaspersky is one of the best anti-virus company and now its providing a rescue CD absolutely free which contains the latest Kaspersky anti-virus. So you can scan your system by booting your system using Kaspersky rescue CD.

File: kav_rescue_10.iso 268526 KB 6/3/2012 9:01:00 AM

Edited by duffy98

I avoid .net like a disease

on XP you still have choice not to have any of versions to be resident

anything above xp/server 03 requires .net 2 and cannot be removed

Edited by vinifera