Delete (Not clear) Pagefile at Shutdown.

NATO

you can't delete it when Windows runs. Windows can only add a new pagefile when it runs, but you can't remove it.

Well, then I managed to just do something impossible. :w00t::ph34r:

jaclaz

Well yes, using an unlocker (or closing some handles) might be considered "cheating" :angel

Well yes, using an unlocker (or closing some handles) might be considered "cheating" :angel

Oww, comeon :angel , in love, war and MS computing there are NO rules :w00t: , or if you prefer:

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

;):yes:

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm;;;

So I used pagefile.vbs to delete the Primary drive pagefile (there is one on the 1st logical as well) and it said success! whatever.

So I ran analyse in Defrag and it was still there only it had changed from green to blue.

Unlocker deleted it.

Wonder if there is any way to pin the pagefile to the back of the partition so as to keep it away from the OS files when defragmenting without using Perfect Disk or some other third party defragmenter.

The standard defrag plus the addition of Sysinternals Config does a good enough job.

Diskeeper is to heavy for a 1.0GHz PIII

Wonder if there is any way to pin the pagefile to the back of the partition so as to keep it away from the OS files when defragmenting without using Perfect Disk or some other third party defragmenter.

JFYI, the "old school" method was to create a dedicated partition (possibly on another disk) to ONLY hold the pagefile.

If on another disk, when "hit", it will be way faster than on System partition (or than other partition on same disk).

In any case it will be hit seldom (please read as "never" :rolleyes::whistle: ) if you have RAM in quantity adequate to the OS and applications you are running.

jaclaz

• 1 year later...

... Is it possible to completely DELETE the pagefile, in less than one second, so that it can be re-created when the system re-starts? ...

I do exactly that by placing a vestigial pagefile* in a ramdisk, which dematerializes on shutdown and rematerializes on startup.

* (Some stupid programs start bitching when they can't find a frigging pagefile).