I have a general question about Win 8

billyb

I haven't downloaded win 8 yet, but plan to on a system here in a couple of weeks.

I'm historically, a messy computer user. I hardly ever use the start orbs/buttons or taskbar.

For win98, xp, win7, I pretty much have shortcut icons all over the place on the screen to click start programs that I use. It's really random and messy and all over the place... the way I like it (I guess)

I don't often search files.. I just go into the folders where I know I have stuff and pull up things I need. If I can find a drive letter icon somewhere, I'm set for searching.

My question...

Is Metro basically the same workflow I've used now all these years? That is... my program icons will still be all over the place... but now they'll be tied to little colorful squares that I click on?

If so... cool. MS has finally caught on to the way I work.

If I'm somewhat correct on the above, I guess the only thing I'll have to locate is device manager and control panel for the random times I need to access those.

in a way you are right. I believe you can add shortcuts to the start screen. you can also access the desktop from the metro start screen and you can put shortcuts to different programs and files there. has for the device manager/control panel hit the windows key + r and type control into the run prompt and hit ok control panel will open.

on my home computer I live on the desktop all my files and folders are there so my desktop is a bit messy too lol.

Edited by helpdesk98