Windows Update Agent - Which version do you have?

I'm trying to pin down what is going on with MS in regards to the newest Windows Update Agent.

They released a new WUA (v 7.6.7600.256) to deal with the Flame virus a bit ago and I haven't seen it come through on any of my systems or my relatives system. I can only guess that MS pulled it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

Can you check your system and see if it's come through? For those less inclined peeps just navigate to System32, scroll down past the folders and click one file, press x, scroll up a bit until you see files that start with wua, click properties on one of the wua files and post what version you have. Post your OS also and if it came through when did it come through?

Also if you are on Vista I guess or Windows 7 and it has come through, can you post a screenshot of what it looks like here...

post-12166-0-74067700-1339593065_thumb.p

Thanks

Edited by -X-

I read a version of 226 on WIndows XP. I even pulled up the site and don't see it come through. My guess is that they've quit *explicitly* supporting Windows XP on this if it's coming through on Vista and Seven. Hopefully they'll at least come up with a stand-alone installer soon if it is a *security* problem.

Edited by Glenn9999

They released a new WUA (v 7.6.7600.256)

Well that is the XP versioning. The Windows 7 one already has a 5 digit version number as opposed to the (256) 3 in your example. My netbook doesn't seem to have it. It has v7.5.7601.17514 from January 24, 2012.... although the file date that appears in Explorer is 2010...

I don't see an update for WUA in the updates list there.

Anyways, what is the problem you are having? You left that part out of your post. :unsure:

I'm not having a problem per se. I'm just concerned about the lack of them releasing a redistributable for unattended installations. I'm actually kinda hoping they stay with .226 for XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928

Notice

There is no standalone installer of the latest version of the Windows Update Agent (7.6.7600.256). The following are instructions on how to obtain version 7.4.7600.226 of the Windows Update Agent.

I've installed the 256 a fewdays ago. it is part of the WSUS Update which is available in the Downloadcenter.
WSUS 3.0 SP2 (KB972455)? Doesn't that still "install" via WSUS and not allow for "manual"/standalone? MBSA does the same (similar) type of thing when you install it...

edit - do you mean this? (more)

Google translate. Absolutely no "standalone" available. It would have to be "captured"... SOMEWHERE there must be a "direct link"...

More info.

WU Agent v7.6.7600.256 is being rolled-out over time to avoid overwhelming the update servers. Until it's offered to your computer, 7.4.7600.226 is perfectly safe assuming KB2718704 & all other updates are installed and your anti-virus application is installed & working properly.

edit - somebody fudge-built an installer...

edit - apparently 3 CABS get downloaded? A CMD can be used to install.

AND... is this just good for Vista/Windows7??? What I have FOUND appears to be just an Update of the 3 CABS... (not a complete package).

Edited by submix8c

Did you mean to include the x86 "muweb.cab" with the x64 set? For the purpose of using the x86 version of IE on an x64 OS?

Note: This doesn't include ALL of the files listed in KB949104... some appear to be missing for the non-Vista/Win7... (UNLESS the "force" variation "collects" them all...)

Edited by submix8c

Yes, the x86 file is necessary for XPx64; it is installed to SysWOW64.

The directions for forcing the upgrade to r256 will not work for Vista/Win7. Newer versions of Windows seem to have better system file protection. By replacing that one key file in XP, wuweb.dll, the Windows Update website will push the rest of the files to the client for installation.

Edited by 5eraph

@5eraph - Gotcha! ;) Then (in theory) one could "construct" a full package pre-release... perhaps using the prior version's Setup Package as an example?

BTW, good further investigation!

edit - and I assume that the x86 version of WSUS update will work on an x86 as well? (you didn't mention that in instructions - only the WSUS-KB2720211-x64.exe)

I guess I should mention I'm kinda tied up with Grandkids, so I may not be totally understanding/coherent...

Edited by submix8c

Thanks. :)

Repackaging is not my strong suit. My motivation for investigating is mainly for including the files in update packs for use witn nLite and RVMi.

@5seraph - added another question

And my interest lies also in -X-'s listings (no offense, just another method of integration). It appears that with the "add-on" that he creates (just a CAB with an ENTRIES.INI and the WUA.EXE) that IN THEORY this could be done BUT one would have to obtain the REMAINDER from MS on a "live" OS and constructed on your PERSONAL computer (to keep from violating the EULA's vis-a-vis redistribution) on-the-fly (since all files are downloaded directly from the "source").

edit - WOW! Becoming a semi-hot topic! (see Ricktendo64 comment below)

One might also note the the actual older v243 Package has everything in it to install (i.e. WUSETUP.EXE/INF?). What would be "missing" is all the latest MUI files for non-English, correct (ref. the KB article)? (could be obtained directly, though, according to Languages)

edit2 - errr... the WUSETUP.EXE would have an erroneous version, BUT the INF could be modified to "fit" the Correct Version?

Edited by submix8c