Windows Update Agent - Which version do you have?

Well, yeah... but I have also been looking at the WGET docs and ERRORLEVEL info. The WGET -nc Option is used and appears to indicate

If a file is downloaded more than once in the same directory, Wget's behavior depends on a few options, including ‘-nc’. In certain cases, the local file will be clobbered, or overwritten, upon repeated download. In other cases it will be preserved.

When running Wget without ‘-N’, ‘-nc’, ‘-r’, or ‘-p’, downloading the same file in the same directory will result in the original copy of file being preserved and the second copy being named ‘file.1’. If that file is downloaded yet again, the third copy will be named ‘file.2’, and so on.

This presents a problem in and of itself for ANY of the WGET failures. Please note that "Retries" (for accessing said file) is "default=20" according to the docs.

So... some sort of "loop" construct would have to be made that would NOT allow continuous looping or "give up - I am a failure - try later...".

Also note that the "Pre-Cleanup" routine is NOT deleting "*.CAB". Guess it should for insurance... OR check for a GOOD download instance and if Rerun is necessary (for any given file download failure) the Bypass WGET (go to next one). This will be cumbersome!!!

Yep, it doesn't like (2) at the end of the folder. The 404's went away.
:rolleyes::wacko:

Will try AGAIN without ANY "paren's"... Guess this should be a warning for using your script or my script...

"Folder names may NOT contain any parenthesis"...

(previous post before I seen your post...)

"Failure is NOT an option..." - APOLLO 13

edit - and I DID add a "Pre-Cleanup"

:: ADDED due to occassional FAILED WGET's
if exist *.cab* del *.cab*

Still doesn't tell whether a "failure" occurred during "build"... @#$%^& More error-checking needed for at least that...

edit2 - how about that! I removed the "(2)" also - worked! ("Pre-cleanup" command unnecessary?)...

Still - "failure checks" should be put into BOTH scripts, IMHO... Otherwise, folks may be... :realmad: Will fool with mine... l8tr!!! G-kids have been rattling cages... And STILL need to complete my "craigslist" project (need $).

BTW, apparently a LIST file can be sent to WGET to ease the burden - BUT how would you error-check individual files? (sigh...)

Edited by submix8c

...then I'll venture to say that the WGET's must be failing "occasionally"... See links given above for how to check.

Maybe "START /W" would help (in addition to "errorlevel")??? Too many retries would case a severe loop... No WAY should a simple "loop" as proposed by tomasz86 should be used - witness the effects of "-nc" as used...

edit - NINE "guest" viewing this? :huh:

NOTICE TO ANY/ALL!!! (just an FYI)

This is NOT a "permanent solution" but an "exercise"... MS will OBVIOUSLY give a NEW version when they are ready - Windows 8 is JUST AROUND THE CORNER and as already stated, the last OFFICIAL package is not necessarily intended for anything but Windows 7 SP1 (maybe Windows 2008 R2) for a "particular problem" but DOES WORK ATM. Current v226 is the Official XP/2K3/Vista/Win7RTM AFAIK.

(sheesh! hot topic for guests?)

SUS vs WSUS. This Exercise is based on WSUS information and tested against AU turned OFF (neither case)!!! Google "WUIDENT.CAB"... there's a TEXT file inside it (and you get it when you go to WU)... There's a lot more to WU than just these files in question... (and they download WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE!).

Edited by submix8c

I just visited the Windows Update site on XP just now 6/21 and it installed brand new WUA ActiveX controls, which seem to be WUA 7.6.7600.256.

blackwingcat had just mentioned in his recent blog here:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1682805.html

he has wuweb.dll version 7.6.7600.257 dated 6/4/2012. newer than the one ricktendo64 packaged in his unofficial packages. but all the other WUA files are version 7.6.7600.256.

I now have version 7.6.7600.257 of the muweb.dll and wuweb.dll files installed on my XP computer.

ah see, my waiting and patience has finally paid off. :thumbup

Edited by erpdude8

I now have version 7.6.7600.257 of the muweb.dll and wuweb.dll files installed on my XP computer.

I entered MU site and got immediately offered muweb.dll v. 7.6.7600.257, which I did accept. It didn't offer me the updated wuweb.dll, too, however, nor updated it silently.

That may be because I run with Auto Updates disabled. Can one of you all find out its download link? I'd rather update it by hand, and, in any case, it'd be good to update submix8c batch to get wuweb.dll v. 7.6.7600.257, instead of v. 7.6.7600.256...

Back to KB949104...

Wuweb.dll * 7.6.7600.256 210,968 2-June-12 22:19 x86

Wuweb.dll *+ 7.6.7600.257 210,968 5-June-12 00:35 x86

+ This file may only be installed if the machine is opted to receive updates for other Microsoft products from the Windows Update website.

* Not Applicable on Vista and above

How odd! It implies that if you opt into Microsoft Update (the MUWEB.DLL from MUWEB_SITE.CAB) as opposed to Windows Update (the "normal" path that we've been discussing) that you should get it if you have AU turned on (see my SUS vs WSUS link). Not sure I want to "flood" my VPC test bed with Updates...

Back to KB949104...

Wuweb.dll * 7.6.7600.256 210,968 2-June-12 22:19 x86

Wuweb.dll *+ 7.6.7600.257 210,968 5-June-12 00:35 x86

+ This file may only be installed if the machine is opted to receive updates for other Microsoft products from the Windows Update website.

* Not Applicable on Vista and above

How odd! It implies that if you opt into Microsoft Update (the MUWEB.DLL from MUWEB_SITE.CAB) as opposed to Windows Update (the "normal" path that we've been discussing) that you should get it if you have AU turned on (see my SUS vs WSUS link). Not sure I want to "flood" my VPC test bed with Updates...

Maybe if you just set the notifications to just let you know if there are any updates available but let you decide to download and install you could pick and choose and get the one you want but not be flooded?

Cheers and Regards

I entered MU site and got immediately offered muweb.dll v. 7.6.7600.257, which I did accept. It didn't offer me the updated wuweb.dll, too, however, nor updated it silently.

That may be because I run with Auto Updates disabled. Can one of you all find out its download link? I'd rather update it by hand, and, in any case, it'd be good to update submix8c batch to get wuweb.dll v. 7.6.7600.257, instead of v. 7.6.7600.256...

Hate to burst your bubble - but WU is Windows Update (the "built" files) and MU is Microsoft Update (not part of the "Windows Update Agent"). MU only happens when you "Get Microsoft Update Today!". I had previously done that and had "turned it off" (Custom settings in MU to use only WU) after updating with the New Package (7.6.7600.256). Notice that it (AFAIK) "uninstalled/removed" "Windows\Downloaded Program Files\MUWebControl Class". Really unsure if that was exactly what happened - I fiddled so much... Then I "Uninstalled" the (only and can't remember which one) the Class from "Downloaded" folder. I subsequently RENAMED WUWEB.DLL and got the Newer MUWEB stuff. However, I could NOT "Get MU" (IE CLAIMED the ActiveX was "missing"). I then COPIED MUWEB.DLL from 5eraph's links to MUWEB.CAB/DLL (from another thread? can't remember) v7.6.7600.256. I could NOW "Get MU" and the results are...

The "Windows\Downloaded Program Files" now contains -

WUWebControl Class - WUWEB.DLL v7.6.7600.257

MUWebControl Class - MUWEB.DLL v7.6.7600.257 <-now again active in IE

The Download Address (in IE TempFiles) has an entirely different ?9999-series than the prior version. Very confusing what I did and not sure I can replicate.

Put this in your Web Browser -

hXXp://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/v5controls/en/x86/client

Add this to the end -

muweb_site.cab?1340383010227

It's v257 of MUWEB.CAB (with INF and CAT). I'm willing to bet that if you "Remove" "MUWebControl Class" (maybe use the Custom option to "Use only WU" in The Update Website screen?) then go BACK in (since you now have MUWEB.DLL v257) and go BACK to Windows Update, request "Get MS Update" that you will get a brand spanky new WUWEB.DLL "Dowloaded"/installed.

Thanks submix8c, you rock! :thumbup

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/v5controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1340383010227
Just downloaded v257 of MUWEB.DLL, inside MUWEB_SITE.CAB, binarily identical to the one I got installed yesterday.

dubbio.gif

blink.gif Hey! You've just given me the solution! clapping.gif

Just change "m" by "w", and there we are:

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/v5controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1340383010227
works, too! I've just got WUWEB.DLL through it, inside WUWEB_SITE.CAB!!! :yes:

So, now we can revise the .cmd, and we're back to the *latest* WUA files once again! celebrate14.gif

Revision as follows - Get the CMD above and change

wget -nc http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/1/windowsupdate/b/selfupdate/WSUS3/x86/Other/wuweb.cab

to

wget -nc http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/v5controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1340383010227
ren "%~dp0wuweb_site.cab@1340383010227" wuweb.cab

Notice the Rename? Odd how the filename was created, BUT that's how it works...

Will update later (maybe here after removing older download). "Gots da-kidds" pestering... Played heck digging into this. And thx, dencorso, for the "hints" - that's what prompted the "experiment".

Reminder - WU is not, repeat NOT the same as MU and MU is not part of this. I have absolutely no clue as to how to create a package for MU. For the purpose of Windows-only "-X-" packages it is irrelevant since it's for "other than Windows Updates" (e.g. Office, etc.)...

OK, folks, I'm not sure we can get any better/newer than this. 5eraph or ricktendo64 can chime in anytime for any further info on MU or errors (or even hints on the v257 thing...).

Happy WU-ing!!!

Now if we can end up with an installer that takes care of both MU and WU, works for both XP and Win7, and is both x86 and x64 compliant, we'll have what MS should have released to begin with. :)

Many thanks to all for your hard work on this!

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt