Windows Update Agent - Which version do you have?

I now have version 7.6.7600.257 of the muweb.dll and wuweb.dll files installed on my XP computer.

Well, now I do, too, thanks to the newly rebuilt installer we've just concocted, after running it with the /wuforce option.. :D

The changes you suggested to the WUAv256.cmd worked beautifully! :yes:

Well, now I do, too, thanks to the newly rebuilt installer we've just concocted, after running it with the /wuforce option.. :D

The changes you suggested to the WUAv256.cmd worked beautifully! :yes:

excellent, dencorso; just like the versions blackwingcat and I have. i'll try out ricktendo64's revised WU installer packages for both x86 and x64 versions of Windows XP later tonight (and yes, I'll test out the x86 version of his installer on a Win2000 computer).

I give ricktendo64's WU installer packages a letter grade of "A" while I give mcrip's WU installers a letter grade of "C-" because they don't work on XP/2003 computers and only under Vista/2008/Seven.

Edited by erpdude8

BWAHAHAH!!! McRip was not for them... almost sorry I gave that post link. I had found another place that did very similar. Here is an example CMD.

@echo off
pkgmgr /ip /m:WUClient-SelfUpdate-ActiveX-x64.cab /quiet
pkgmgr /ip /m:WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux-TopLevel-x64.cab /quiet
pkgmgr /ip /m:WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-TopLevel-x64.cab /quiet
EXIT

These 3 files are NOT for XP/2K3/(maybe 2K) and the Installer will detect that. Apparently, the CMD is to "insert" it into the Install (?) or maybe "after" install (as one of the post-install scripts?). See this. So, this is semi-irrelevant to the Topic but the Files (these are the 3 cabs I had initiall had in question - thx, ricktendo64) are "necessary" to make a Complete Package usable on all versions XP(2k?)->Win7.

Will download samples from ricktendo64's newer packages and inspect them. You will have the option of using This Built Package (specifically for -X-' methods) or the Pre-Built Packages by ricktendo64. If I have time, I will investigate the "new links" given (note that the WU link remains but redirects to MU).

Side note... :blink: Just went to MU/WU (already had MU installed) on 2K3 and it offered a DIFFERENT "?99999" MU-appendage that is STILL v257! (?1340464593891) One might ask - WHY is that appendage (redirect) different TODAY (other link was running XP)??? Is it "dependent" on the OS? (BTW, SAME CAB!)

Addendum Microsoft Update Catalog v7.4.7057.249.-

https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ClientControl/en/x86/MUCatalogWebControl.Cab

Doesn't appear to need the "HTTPS" where it was offered. Please note that I did NOT have the latest MU/WU installed on this setup. Will check on the one that does...

edit - it APPEARS that you have to have Temp IE files "deleted" to cajole MU/WU to "update". I had cleared before shutdown yesterday and got "offered" today BUT when going again - it does NOT offer. Yes, folks, it appears to be RANDOM!!! :D

Edited by submix8c

It's partcopy that is breaking the script when used with a (2) in the path.

I'm going to add a if not exist WUSFX.SFX blah blah.

EDIT: ****! Spaces messes it up too. I think I'm going to put this as a separate script download.

EDIT2: Looks like it wasn't the spaces. I had a - at the end of the path. WUAv 256-

Edited by -X-

@-X-

Not sure if this would "fix" it...

1 - Download this instead (it's GNU Unix Port to Windows of "split.exe" so it's distributable). Put in the folder.

2 - Remove these PARTCOPY references

:: KEEP THIS ZIP FILE!!! MAY BE HARD TO GET AGAIN!!!
:: if exist pcopy02.zip del pcopy02.zip
if exist partcopy.exe del partcopy.exe

if exist pcopy02.zip goto GOTSPLIT
ECHO Downloading PARTCOPY from Web Archive...
:: --- UNDEPENDABLE!
:: wget -nc "http://web.archive.org/web/20010116021600/http://users.erols.com/johnfine/pcopy02.zip"
:: --- Use this instead...
wget -nc "http://www.brokenthorn.com/Resources/Programs/pcopy02.zip"
:: --- OR this instead...
:: wget -nc "http://geezer.osdevbrasil.net/johnfine/pcopy02.zip"
:GOTSPLIT
7za.exe e "%~dp0pcopy02.zip" -o"%~dp0" partcopy.exe -y

3 - Replace PARTCOPY code

::  NOTE! This MUST use 8.3... I DID NOT prefix filenames with "%~dp0"...
partcopy WUAEXE.EXE 0 8A00 WUSFX.SFX
:: The Install is no longer needed...
del "%~dp0WUAEXE.EXE"

with SPLIT code

:: Original Hex-8A00=Dec-35328
split -b 35328 wuaexe.exe wuaexe
:: output: wuaexeaa wuaexeab etc...
ren wuaexeaa wusfx.sfx
del wuaexe*.*

"SPLIT -HELP" displays syntax.

edit - and BETTING that using the "%~dp0" code would work...

Edited by submix8c

Drats! They just released a new one. 7,6,7600,257

;

; Inf file for Windows Update WUWeb.dll ActiveX control

;

[version]
Signature=$Windows NT$

[Add.Code]
wuweb.dll=wuweb.dll

[wuweb.dll]
file=thiscab
RegisterServer=yes
clsid={6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C}
; DestDir is system32
DestDir=11
FileVersion=7,6,7600,257

Looks like it's just wuweb.dll.

http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1340811078433

Edited by -X-

Drats! They just released a new one. 7,6,7600,257

<snip>

Looks like it's just wuweb.dll.

http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1340811078433

Well, they've released both wuweb.dll and muweb.dll v. 257, although the latter isn't quite in focus in this thread. But, with all due respect, that's rather old news already (I guess you skipped reading some posts above)... :whistle:

Heh!!! Get some rest, -X-, you're slipping! The code change for the newer version is the next post below that one. The subsequent post is to "correct" the folder-name problem. Just never re-uploaded the "fixed" CMD file (assuming the changes would be incorporated) - been busy with daughter's PC (cloning HDD's etc).

Edited by submix8c

• 2 weeks later...

@submix8c

I've just got one question :whistle:

Why do you use 7-Zip to extract WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe:

ECHO Extracting Windows Update Agent to WUCAB Folder...
7za x "%~dp0WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" -o"%~dp0WUCAB" * -r -y

when it can be extracted using its integral switches:

ECHO Extracting Windows Update Agent to WUCAB Folder...
"%~dp0WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" /X:"%~dp0WUCAB" /Q

?

@tomasz86:

Yes, he could've done it.

But, then again, later on in the batch, he'd need something to unpack the cabs, anyway, but that could have been changed to use cabarc.exe...

Except that it's 7za which is used to get to cabarc.exe, in the 1st place... so there wouldn't actually be a cabarc.exe without 7za.exe in the script.

Once it has to be there, there really is no difference which means were used to extract things from among the various possibilities present, IMO.

I guess the idea behind it was to use always the same method to do analogous operations throughout the batch, so as to make easier to understand for any 3rd party studying it later.

Of course this is just my guesswork, on rereading the code of the script... only submix8c can really tell us what was in his mind when he coded it in the way he did.

Then again, when I am the one coding, I usually strive to get things working reliably, in the 1st place, and only afterwards do I revise for clarity, and that only when I think that that's really necessary, else I simply don't.

@dencorso

I wonder if there's any speed difference between the extracting switch and 7-Zip extraction. If no then of course it doesn't matter which method is used ;)

By the way, the direct link to the 7za.exe archive is:

http://cdnetworks-kr-1.dl.sourceforge.net/project/sevenzip/7-Zip/9.20/7za920.zip (it's one of the official mirrors used on SourceForge; it can be used with Wget)

To unpack it you can use unzip.exe from here:

http://stahlforce.com/dev/index.php?tool=zipunzip (direct link available)

At the moment 7za.exe must be downloaded manually before running the script. It's possible to just use Wget to download the 7za.exe archive, unpack it by unzip.exe from command line and use later in the script. Actually I think that using 7za.exe could be avoided completely:

- all .zip files can be unpacked using unzip.exe (there are no .7z/.rar or any other archives used in the script)

- all M$ .exe files can be unpacked with switches

- all .cabs can be unpacked by using Windows' native expand.exe

Edited by tomasz86

The only case i know in which using 7za is bound to fail is for MS Intra-Package Deltas Aware Packages, which can only be correctly extracted by using th /X switch. None of the packages involved in submix8c's process are of this kind, however. But I think submix8c always thought of this more as an intellectual exercise than as anything more permanent... he didn't even update the script to use split.exe (at least as an alternative). Let's wait for him to chime in, before we continue discussing how to optimize the script, OK?