Windows Update Agent - Which version do you have?

one could "construct" a full package pre-release... perhaps using the prior version's Setup Package as an example?

Thats actually a great idea, I might do that

Edited by ricktendo64

@Ricktendo64 - what's a great idea? Getting tied up BY Grandkids? :lol:

edit - see previous posts ramblings...

edit2 - OH!!!! I just looked inside the "blah-blah - rename to CAB" cab!!! DUH!!!

"I can see clearly now, the rain has gone..." (old-skool song)

Edited by submix8c

You're right about WSUS-KB2720211-x64.exe, submix8c. I forgot about the x86 version. The general procedure for extraction still applies--the file "f_7d330e57.BE2E96D2_4460_4371_84DE_4148273456C7" has the same SHA1 hash in both installers (they're identical).

I won't touch EULA questions with a 10-foot pole. I'm no lawyer. ;)

But -X-'s script could be modified to download all of the necessary files directly from Microsoft.

These are the needed files: (files ending in "_en" should have that suffix removed when installing the files)

• cdm.dll, wuapi.dll, wuapi.dll.mui_en, wuau.adm, wuauclt.exe, wuaucpl.cpl, wuaucpl.cpl.mui_en, wuaueng.dll, wuaueng.dll.mui_en, wuauhelp.chm_en, wuauserv.dll, wucltui.dll, wucltui.dll.mui_en, wups.dll, wups2.dll, wuweb.dll

These are the cabinet names that contain the aforementioned files:
  • cdm.cab, wuapi.cab, wuapi_en.cab, wuauclt.cab, wuaucpl.cab, wuaucpl_en.cab, wuaueng.cab, wuaueng_en.cab, wuauserv.cab, wucltui.cab, wucltui_en.cab, wups.cab, wups2.cab, wuweb.cab

And this is the URL path where the aforementioned cabinets can be found:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/1/windowsupdate/b/selfupdate/WSUS3/x86/Other/

Directly linking Microsoft files is prohibited on this forum. All that needs to be done for the script is to add the CAB name to be downloaded to the end of the URL path. These are the URLs that the Windows Update client uses to download the files.

Edited by 5eraph

...and I would venture to say that the other LANG files could be obtained.

Appears that all you need is the latest Standalone (Extracted), replace all files for the downloaded above into Extracted, modify the INF, repack, and run the SETUP via the ENTRIES.INI. Not really sure about that, but APPEARS to work that way. This could be a "workaround" until (and IF) MS decides to release the "StandAlone". (WUSETUP in this case appears to be irrelevant per the Version? Only appears in PreFetch and "came from" the Generated Folder Name during install).

I don't want to even bother with the MU-part; I had apparently "Stepped Up To" once, then, "disabled" it (apparently that's what happened during the "Customize/Use Windows Updates Only), and used your method in a VPC to "force" Update WU, and it "collected" everything into the correct places. Afterward, I "Stepped Up to MU" and it appears that all it did was re-enable the ActiveX that already existed (v7.4.7600.226, BTW).

Side note - I had Installed (over top of the v226) v7.6.7600.243 before I pulled your "stunt"... I guess I should try (later) a Clean Install, then v2.43, then your "stunt" to confirm a few things. Won't be able to today because BUSY BEE!

edit - As far as -X- is concerned, he only does ENU anyway...

Edited by submix8c

I don't want to even bother with the MU-part; I had apparently "Stepped Up To" once, then, "disabled" it (apparently that's what happened during the "Customize/Use Windows Updates Only), and used your method in a VPC to "force" Update WU, and it "collected" everything into the correct places. Afterward, I "Stepped Up to MU" and it appears that all it did was re-enable the ActiveX that already existed (v7.4.7600.226, BTW).

Despite the file names, they're actually used for Automatic Updates. If you have AU enabled or set to notify then the MU files will be updated to r256 if the WU files are r256. ;)

Side note - I had Installed (over top of the v226) v7.6.7600.243 before I pulled your "stunt"... I guess I should try (later) a Clean Install, then v2.43, then your "stunt" to confirm a few things. Won't be able to today because BUSY BEE!

Just tried from a clean Windows install myself. It seems to work fine from Windows Update Agent v5.4.3790.5512 (the version included with XP x86 SP3).

...and I would venture to say that the other LANG files could be obtained.

[...]

edit - As far as -X- is concerned, he only does ENU anyway...

Other localizations can be obtained just by changing the file name suffix from _en to another two letter suffix. For example, it could be changed to _es for Spanish or _it for Italian.

Appears that all you need is the latest Standalone (Extracted), replace all files for the downloaded above into Extracted, modify the INF, repack, and run the SETUP via the ENTRIES.INI. Not really sure about that, but APPEARS to work that way. This could be a "workaround" until (and IF) MS decides to release the "StandAlone". (WUSETUP in this case appears to be irrelevant per the Version? Only appears in PreFetch and "came from" the Generated Folder Name during install).

I forgot to mention: ricktendo64 repacked the installers at your suggestion. :D

Congrats!

-X- what do you think?

I think the "system" has been beat!

edit - Absolutely NO time to test, but from all appearances it looks good! Got a Sound Engineer gig in about 3 hrs (two groups). 90-Proof Twang and Ryan Broshear - "New" Country + originals (up-and-coming groups out of Oxford, OH).

Edited by submix8c

These are the cabinet names that contain the aforementioned files:

• cdm.cab, wuapi.cab, wuapi_en.cab, wuauclt.cab, wuaucomp.cab, wuaucpl.cab, wuaucpl_en.cab, wuaueng.cab, wuaueng_en.cab, wuauserv.cab, wucltui.cab, wucltui_en.cab, wups.cab, wups2.cab, wuweb.cab

And this is the URL path where the aforementioned cabinets can be found:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/1/windowsupdate/b/selfupdate/WSUS3/x86/Other/

wuaucomp.cab gives a 404

That's ok, -X-. I was mistaken to have listed it. wuaucomp.cab is not needed; in WSUS-KB2720211-x86.exe it only contains wuaucomp.cif. The file is not used by XP. :)

I'm trying to pin down what is going on with MS in regards to the newest Windows Update Agent.

They released a new WUA (v 7.6.7600.256) to deal with the Flame virus a bit ago and I haven't seen it come through on any of my systems or my relatives system. I can only guess that MS pulled it.

either that or MS hasn't made WUA version 7.6.7600.256 available through Windows Update yet, especially in my area.

guess we'll have to wait. I can wait patiently for an MS standalone WUA 7.6.7600.256 download rather than use third party WUA 256 installers.

I read a version of 226 on WIndows XP. I even pulled up the site and don't see it come through. My guess is that they've quit *explicitly* supporting Windows XP on this if it's coming through on Vista and Seven. Hopefully they'll at least come up with a stand-alone installer soon if it is a *security* problem.

nope Glenn9999. WUA build 256 hasn't come through on my Vista and Seven computers either.

either that or MS hasn't made WUA version 7.6.7600.256 available through Windows Update yet, especially in my area.

guess we'll have to wait. I can wait patiently for an MS standalone WUA 7.6.7600.256 download rather than use third party WUA 256 installers.

Re-read the thread. It's already a given that the "Standalone" is not available. It is, however, being rolled out via WSUS Servers (see 5eraph's posts). I'm working on "constructing" what you might called a "latest add-on" (replicating Ricktendo64's manual(?) effort via a CMD/WGET directly from MS), same as -X- is doing. I already have the ENU files in place. File Dates are June 2, 2012... Comparing to Ricktendo64's package now... (Still need to re-find the 3 CLIENT cabs apparently for Vista/Win7.)

You might call this an "exercise in obtaining the latest WU"...

@Ricktendo64 -

I did not have to edit the INF, just rename wsus3setup.inf to wusetup.inf
I don't see that in any of the CABS? From KB2720211? Also, how did you get the "self-extract" portion of the Package (hex-out the front-end?)?

@-X- (and anyone else...) Attached is my "work in progress". Feel free! ;)

edit - Attachment removed... See post#63 for the "x86 finished product".

Edited by submix8c

ALL the necessary files except wusetup.exe can be found in KB2720211 (no need for wget)

@Ricktendo64 -
I did not have to edit the INF, just rename wsus3setup.inf to wusetup.inf
I don't see that in any of the CABS? From KB2720211? Also, how did you get the "self-extract" portion of the Package (hex-out the front-end?)?

wusetup.inf (and wsus3setup.cat): http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/1/windowsupdate/b/selfupdate/WSUS3/x86/Other/wsus3setup.cab

To remake the installer I used the SFX and instructions by WildBill (7zip SFX can work as well)

Edited by ricktendo64