Keyboard Security Update Will Not Install.

NATO

Belarc Advisor shows that I just need - one more - update. (Making 128... )

Q2686509 - Important - details... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2686509

And yes, I do get the faulty keyboard file and yes, I have - copied - not moved - the appropriate files from another machine into my system32 folder.

Still no go. My fault again as I deliberately removed all the keyboard files which I didn't need including the Bulgarian KBDBU.DLL which was acting suspiciously.

1. Would not be deleted and kept on re-appearing in the MUI cache.

2. Showed up as being the one file missing when doing a clean install with an nLite .ISO.

What I would like to know oh greatly esteemed experts is this.

As MS says that one can remove Keyboard Layouts should I remove all but the two which show up in the Keyboard Preloads (409 US of A, and 813 Belgian Point) and all the corresponding DOS references under these keys...

HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Keyboard Layout\DOSKeybdCodes

HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Keyboard Layout\DOSKeybdIDs

HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Keyboard Layouts\

AND the corresponding keys, etc. in Control Set 1 and Control Set 3

Or will I have to put ALL of these dratted keyboard DLLs back in?

:scream: \Ö/

Thanks again ;-)

Many thanks -X-, I will try the batch file tonight.

Nothing else has worked so far.

Ian

I will also download all the cabinet files to add to my latest nLite XP Pro SP3 .ISO

Thank you very much, that is a GREAT help!

(The batch file didn't work either so I will e-mail Susan and see if she can help.)

Edited by NATO

Downloaded the files and ran nLite to make a fully updated installation DVD with SP3, etc.

Checked 'report' to see if there were any problems and found that several KB updates were "Not supported" and that some files were older than the files already in the SP3 service pack.

Will this be a problem when updating online?

Ran nLite again without checking 'report' and got a bigger .ISO file.

No, it shouldn't be a problem updating. Hopefully you answered correctly to the questions when you had report on. It's better to leave it off and let nLite do it's thing....use the suggested actions. Just sort the updates by date. Oldest to newest.

I elected to keep the newer files and allow nLite to use the standard method for integrating the updates.

I noticed that this problematic security update KB2686509 concerning keyboard security appeared to integrate without any problem.

Why we need 90 keyboards on the one system is a mystery to me so I have asked Susan Bradley if she can fix it to use just the native 409 US OS keyboard and the local Belgian 813 keyboard as per the 12 preloads.

MS should have made the keyboards part of the Windows Add Windows Components in add-Remove programs IMO along with NT Backup, Movie Maker and System Restore and many other components which people don't use.

Thanks for your help -X-

Ian

Keyboard layouts are absolutely necessary if you want to type in several languages using different alphabets, etc. They are NOT useless :ph34r:

I have a different (Military) logic concerning this entire creation.

One planet one language, one alphabet (the smallest), no expletives, no 'alternatives' no accented characters, right to left only, one currency, ONE keyboard. (AZERTY of course!) and so on.

Bill Gates has the ONE Windows megalomaniac monopoly logic.

Or one Window.

Edited by puntoMX
Partly removed off-topic contents.

nLite can integrate KB2686509 without any problems, except KB2686509 can not be "directly integrated" by design.

In fact the KB2686509 update installs nothing in your computer. It's a file checker that check if all your keyboard layout file are all in "%Windir%\System32". If not it will generate a "%windir%\FaultyKeyboard.log" and let the update fail.

So what can people do when the update fails is either of these:

1. Ignore the update.

2. Delete the registry entries that refer to the files that are not in System32 folder.

3. Copy those keyboard layout files to System32.

Hope this helps