Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XP is 2000 plus the fancy theme? You're wrong

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05
So every once in a while I still read somewhere that Windows XP was a warmed up Windows 2000, which is incorrect. In fact, XP deserves a major version number increment. I want to dispel the myth and change the perception of those who think XP was a "minor" release just because the kernel version number was incremented from 5.0 to 5.1. XP was a major release. I wrote this article on Wikipedia: Features new to Windows XP to prove it (and show off a bit as well) :w00t: B)

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
But isn't XP just an updated Windows 2000? :P

Of course a lot of nice features were added but there are also many useless ones.
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11

But isn't XP just an updated Windows 2000? :P

Of course a lot of nice features were added but there are also many useless ones.

But I love all of Windows XP's features! :w00t:

And jalapeƱo, xpclient. That's a bigger list than Windows 7's!

Edited by UltimateSilence, 16 June 2012 - 12:52 AM.

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.
Running Windows Vista on HP Pavilion Slimline.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

Even

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

? :unsure: :ph34r:

Edited by tomasz86, 16 June 2012 - 01:13 AM.

Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,159 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

Those two annoyances can be easily disabled with registry tweaks. :)

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant","SocialUI",0x10001,0
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant","UseAdvancedSearchAlways",0x10001,1
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour","RunCount",0x10001,0

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I know but still :whistle:

The dog is a little more difficult to eliminate though. FDV provides this tool: dogdestroyer.exe (source: http://www.vorck.com/windows/)

It will kill the dog once and for all. He also shows how many useless entries in registry were added just to provide this "feature".
Posted Image

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05
Yes I certainly don't use that search UI with Agent (Dog, Earl, Courtney etc) but the Windows 2000 UI you can easily get with a registry tweak or TweakUI. :D But they also improved that in XP: the path field accepts environment variables and there is an option to search system and/or hidden files.

Posted Image

I also love the background music of the "tour". It was composed by Bill Brown. Listen to just the music minus the voice in this video.

Edited by xpclient, 16 June 2012 - 05:52 AM.

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,159 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

Do you have a link to the XP Windows Welcome music? Microsoft made the mistake of not including it in XPx64.

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05
You mean this one?:

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11

Even

http://www.groovypos.../02/image89.png

or

http://www.hawaii.ed...swinxp/tour.jpg

? :unsure: :ph34r:

The search companion has a couple of fans (though I am not one of them)... It's not difficult to turn off. It's nice knowing that it's there in the unlikely event that one prefers it.

And the Tour is nice, IMHO. :ph34r:

Edited by UltimateSilence, 16 June 2012 - 02:15 AM.

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.
Running Windows Vista on HP Pavilion Slimline.

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,159 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

You mean this one?:

That's the one. :)

In XPx86 it's located at "%SystemRoot%\system32\oobe\images\title.wma".

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06
Also the search tool in XP is a lot more intuitive than the one in 7 : to search the content of file, you need to modify the search options needing a few more clicks as explained there.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
By the way, isn't Agent Ransack better and more intuitive than all those Windows default search tools?
Posted Image

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,159 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

That is the main reason I haven't switched over to Win7, allen2 :) I know third-party tools exist; I just really like XP's built-in search assistant best.

Windows Search 4.0 is entirely too bulky. I kill the prompts to install it from Microsoft Update and IE8 with the following tweaks.

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search","CurrentVersion",,"04.00.6001.503"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search","SetupCompletedSuccessfully",0x10001,1
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\WindowsSearch","ShowPrompt",0x10001,0

Edited by 5eraph, 16 June 2012 - 02:48 AM.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

Yes I certainly don't use that search UI with Agent (Dog, Earl, Courtney etc) but the Windows 2000 UI you can easily get with a registry tweak or TweakUI. :D But they also improved that in XP: the path field accepts environment variables and there is an option to search system and/or hidden files.

Never liked that lightweight Search in WinXP either. It is too amateurish HTML Active Desktop -like in appearance and the search results (with or without dog) are incomplete. I always preferred the Visual Basic designed form dialogs with 98se being the last good one. At least it is a brute force "find everything" kind of search.

Has anyone tried out Nir Sofer's nice little app? It works on everything in the NT Family ... SearchMyFiles

It is an EXE, just put a shortcut anywhere (Start Menu, Context Menu, etc) and it's definitely old school ...

Posted Image

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Very good. :thumbup

I would presume that when you use 1.5 Gb instead of 600 Mb of disk space, there must be *something* added to an OS.

1500/600=2.5

I am glad to know that - contrary to my previous beliefs - EVERY single Mb of the 900 Mb more are worth it, and that every added feature, including Autoplay is actually an improvement.

And of course all the work by Nuhi and fdv is perfectly pointless :w00t: .

Of course I a do not approve of many things (not in the article by itself, but in viewing it as "Windows XP is better than 2K" advertising for it) but notwithstanding the "opinions", the article looks like very accurately written and exhaustive :).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 16 June 2012 - 03:26 AM.

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05
Btw XP's TweakUI, if you run it as admin and with compatibility mode set to Server 2003 or XP on Vista/7, it runs just fine to tweak many of the settings that are the same.Of course, for things that have changed like the thumbnail size tweak in Explorer or the search platform, it won't work. Still it allows you tweak quite a lot. For 64-bit Windows 7/Vista, use this TweakUI: http://www.softpedia...t-Edition.shtml

Joseph_sw

Joseph_sw

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Joined 03-August 08
I think you may add this to download-able feature (free)
http://en.wikipedia....M_Control_Panel
Starting with win8, this stuff finaly got being official.

But, even the free DaemonTools for win9x were superior.

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05

By the way, isn't Agent Ransack better and more intuitive than all those Windows default search tools?

Agent Ransack is fantastic. The paid version, FileLocator Pro is too awesome. It has real-time search combined with power of using iFilters to look inside file formats without any indexing required. I use FileLocator on Windows 7/Vista because the file search GUI turned into an abomination.

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,291 posts
  • Joined 23-November 05
Main missing feature in 2k was Windows Activation. Remember when people were demanding that for their next upgrade ? :D

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Main missing feature in 2k was Windows Activation. Remember when people were demanding that for their next upgrade ? :D

Well, but - to be fair - in exchange for that :yes: Mouse Ballistics was applied :w00t: , and all the gamers were (and still are) very happy about this :angel :
http://www.msfn.org/...0-mouse-driver/

To sum up:
  • Windows 2000 was a bettered NT 4.0, actually better.
  • Windows XP was a very slightly bettered Windows 2000 with a toyish interface and with a number of senseles features added.
  • Vista :ph34r: was a bettered XP, only worse.
  • 7 was a bettered Vista :ph34r:, actually slightly better with an increasingly toyish interface
  • 8 is a quantum leap :w00t:, it is directly a toy

jaclaz

MaximRecoil

MaximRecoil
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12
The first thing I do after installing XP is to disable the fluff, making it much more like 2K. Also, I'd be perfectly happy to use 2K these days if it was still well-supported.

monroe

monroe

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 21-May 07

Donator

MaximRecoil ... I'd be interested in knowing what "fluff" or adjustments you might be talking about when you said earlier ... "The first thing I do after installing XP is to disable the fluff, making it much more like 2K" . I may have already done some of these things but maybe not. My intention, when switching to XP earlier this year, was to have a more "modern" working browser with fewer problems. I also happen to like W2k and would be interested in knowing what adjustments you make in this regard.

thanks ...

MaximRecoil

MaximRecoil
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

MaximRecoil ... I'd be interested in knowing what "fluff" or adjustments you might be talking about when you said earlier ... "The first thing I do after installing XP is to disable the fluff, making it much more like 2K" . I may have already done some of these things but maybe not. My intention, when switching to XP earlier this year, was to have a more "modern" working browser with fewer problems. I also happen to like W2k and would be interested in knowing what adjustments you make in this regard.

thanks ...

The first thing I do is disable the "themes" service, which completely prevents Luna from ever rearing its ugly head, even during startup/shutdown. This alone makes XP resemble 2K at a glance.

Additionally, I disable "Fast User Switching" and "Use the Welcome Screen", which gives you a real 2K-style logon box during startup. Doing this also gives you the "Windows Security" box (which has 5 useful options, including "Lock Computer") when you press Ctrl+Alt+Del (just as 2K does by default) rather than merely bringing up the Task Manager (like XP does by default).

Also, I disable "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" in "Folder Options", while gives you a "Security" tab in folder and file properties dialog boxes, just as 2K has by default.

I disable all of the "Visual Effects" in "Performance Options", aside from "Show windows contents while dragging" (which was an available option in 2K and earlier versions of Windows as well).

I use TweakUI to get the 2K-style search back (exorcising that Microsoft Bob dog in the process).

I use "list" for my default folder view, which gets rid of those massive "tiles" that were introduced in XP, and are used as its default view.

I ignore the fluffy/bloated Windows Media Player that is included with XP (though I update it to the latest version just for the codecs), and use either Windows Media Player 6.4 (which is also included in XP, but its presence is in no way advertised) or Media Player Classic, which is modeled after WMP 6.4, but is far more functional / up-to-date.

However, I do keep the XP start menu rather than switching to the classic start menu; I just like it better than the 2K and earlier style start menus.

Edited by MaximRecoil, 29 December 2012 - 07:11 AM.

monroe

monroe

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 21-May 07

Donator

MaximRecoil ... hey thanks for the information. I was not aware that WMP 6.4 was actually still available in XP or that it would still work ... currently have WMP 9 ... I will check all that out ... I liked WMP 6.4 in Windows 98SE ... also have Media Player Classic and KM Player currently installed.

I also like the XP start menu over the Classic start menu. I'm sure I have "Fast User Switching" disabled but will have to check all that out as well as your other suggestions. Thanks again ... I'd just like to ask what browser(s) you prefer or like with Windows XP? I'm back on a "best browser for XP" hunt again ... from another forum thread.

... just read your post over at another thread about using IE 8 but liking IE 6. I agree ... spent some of the morning searching around for ways to "update" IE 6 for 2012 but it is hopeless I guess. I have IE 8 as a backup but mainly use several K-Meleon versions.

Also have one further question ... what is "Luna" or what does it stand for ... "completely prevents Luna from ever rearing its ugly head" ?

Edited by duffy98, 29 December 2012 - 07:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users