Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XP is 2000 plus the fancy theme? You're wrong

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

The first thing I do is disable the "themes" service, which completely prevents Luna from ever rearing its ugly head, even during startup/shutdown. This alone makes XP resemble 2K at a glance.

This isn't 100% true. You need to switch to Classic theme and THEN disable the service. Some font settings are different in Win2k (and Classic theme uses those too) and if you only switch the service off then Windows will still use the settings from Luna.

I'd also add to the list:

• Use Classic view in Control Panel.
  • Disable Security Center service.
  • Disable mouse cursor shadow.
  • Disable unused tray icon hiding.
  • Disable taskbar icon grouping
There are probably several more settings which I don't remember at the moment.
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

monroe

monroe

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 903 posts

Donator

tomasz86 ... good to have your input also. I have never heard any mention of "Luna" in relation to XP till today, checking it out on Google, it seems to be a themes pack that you download, I have never downloaded it so I guessing I don't have it anywhere on my computer. I will also have to check that out for sure.

MaximRecoil

MaximRecoil
  • 5 posts
Duffy98, you can find WMP 6.4 in the Program Files\Windows Media Player directory. Its filename is "mplayer2.exe". If you install FFDShow it will work with many common video formats. However, if you like WMP 6.4, you should definitely look into Media Player Classic (freeware), which looks nearly identical to WMP 6.4 (it even has a similar icon), but will open pretty much anything (including .MP4, .MKV., .FLV, and so on) and has far more "tweaking" type features.

I haven't found a browser I really like. I use IE8 and Firefox, but I miss the days of IE6 when it was new, had ~90% or whatever market share, and pretty much all sites were compatible with it. It was basic and fast. Yes, it had security issues, but that could have been fixed under the hood while keeping it the same from the user's perspective. IE8 is getting harder and harder to use these days though, and I was never particularly fond of it even when it was new.

tomasz86 ... good to have your input also. I have never heard any mention of "Luna" in relation to XP till today, checking it out on Google, it seems to be a themes pack that you download, I have never downloaded it so I guessing I don't have it anywhere on my computer. I will also have to check that out for sure.

Luna is XP's default theme package, so you have it. The blue task bar, green curvy Start button; that's all Luna (and it can be switched to different color schemes).

This isn't 100% true. You need to switch to Classic theme and THEN disable the service. Some font settings are different in Win2k (and Classic theme uses those too) and if you only switch the service off then Windows will still use the settings from Luna.

That's correct. I always switch to "Windows Classic style", first thing after canceling out the "Tour Windows XP" thing. I forgot to mention it.

I'd also add to the list:

[*] Use Classic view in Control Panel.

I do this as well.

[*] Disable Security Center service.

I normally do the "Change the way Security Center alerts me" thing (uncheck all of them), which means you never see a Security Center alert again. Disabling the service would be even better, assuming there are no unwanted side effects.

[*] Disable mouse cursor shadow.

This is included as part of disabling the Visual Effects.

[*] Disable unused tray icon hiding.

I do this as well.

[*] Disable taskbar icon grouping

This is another XP thing that I actually like, so I keep it.

Edited by MaximRecoil, 29 December 2012 - 08:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN