Questions to XP diehards :)

xpclient

So MSFNers, I am new here and this forum seems to "my idea" of what a decent online Windows community should be, where people can talk without insults and belittling. So as a Windows enthusiast, I have a few curious questions:

1. How many of you are XP diehards with no intention of moving to Windows 7/Vista?

2. Are you trying to move to Windows 7 but facing some migration issue or removed features? What are they or why haven't you moved to Windows 7?

3. What will be the fate of poor use XP diehards if MS never fixes those issues?

4. Even if you have migrated to Windows 7, do you miss something from XP or did you like XP more?

Some answers I would like to give to these question for myself:

1. XP was my idea of the perfect OS (well not the security before SP2 and UAC is certainly the right step) but otherwise it was really good. Since Longhorn betas, I am trying to move to Windows Vista/7 but was blocked by many issues..mainly removed features (which I'm sure you must have read now). I absolutely love and adore many features of Windows Vista/7 too, these are also great OSes. So my intention is to move to Windows 7 of course, I am not a luddite clinging on to obsolete stuff but I will FOREVER keep XP running natively on at least one PC but the superb backward compatibility for dozens of games and old apps it offers all the way back which a virtual machine can't do justice to.

2. After years of finding alternatives and making compromises, learning the new way of doing things and ignoring the minor issues, almost all of my issues with Vista/7 are gone except the auto sorting problem. (For numerous reasons, I won't use a third party file manager, there isn't one that I like) :(

3. Good news: XP x64 will get security patches till July 2015 because of Server 2003 codebase. Are you concerned like me about End of Life?

4. I will miss a few things of XP even if I move to W7 like service pack slipstreaming (what better fun place than MSFN to do all the unattended stuff) but Vista/7 have far better deployment tools, and the speed of servicing which was extremely fast. I will miss the surround sound support in old games (but Alchemy fixes some of them), I will miss XP Media Center whose UI I find very much better etc.

You need not answer all four questions. :) I just want to know how many MSFNers still like Windows XP without me getting strange looks.

I see all the hate you get at Neowin. I do too. MSFN users generally let you like what you like and not belittle you for it.

I don't feel like writing a lot so I'll just tell you that I have no plans to move from XP even after 2014. Maybe I'll finally install an AV product then but seeing as most attack vectors come through IE, I should be pretty safe.

Just a few reasons why I won't use Windows 7 as my primary OS...

Bloat

Search

Windows Explorer

Start Menu

.NET Framework

IE9

UAC

TrustedInstaller

Draconion permissions

Installation DVD

Edited by -X-

I think Windows 7 is the new XP, in the sense that Windows 8 is gonna suck and people who buy PC's with 8 preinstalled will downgrade to 7 (just like they downgraded to XP when they bought a PC with Vista)

I personally dual boot XP and 7 but mostly use Windows 7

Just like many users, i am still using XP because the new UI in vista or seven is very different and make me search for everything (unlike XP that i didn't need to search that much to do everything).

But there are "features" in seven that are more than a hassle for me: winsxs growth, the search tool and windows explorer. If i were to migrate i would have to get rid of those before. The real great features in seven, are (obviously) the fact it is more recent and then better suported (TRIM support won't be released for XP by Microsoft) and the possibility of the widgets and many other tunable things (that allow the desktop to be more personalized).

But perhaps, in some new OS, Microsoft or another one (Apple ? Google? ) will create a better desktop with a more intuitive explorer etc...

Edited by allen2

1. My hardware dictates OS choice. My desktop uses XPx64 and my laptop uses Win7x64. They'll continue with their respective OSes until they are irreparable. They work the way I want them to work and I see no reason to change that. For the record, I use my XPx64 machine far more than the laptop; it has better specs.
  2. While I do prefer XP, please see #1.
  3. Officially, XPx64 support ends a year earlier than Win2003. It remains to be seen whether Microsoft will prevent Win2003 security updates from installing on XP.
  4. See #2.

1. I have a desktop that dual boots between Vista and 7. As soon as I can find a Windows XP retail disc for sale, it will soon be a triple-boot configuration. :ph34r:

4. I miss the ability to choose. XP is wonderful to me because it allows me to freely switch between the old and new, or mix the two. That and I absolutely love it's blue interface. :wub:

Edited by UltimateSilence

I guess I could be considered an XP diehard, although I use mostly Server 2003 as workstation. But for all practical purposes, I could use XP and my attitude would be the same.

1/2. I had an honest intention to move to Vista/7, and I installed every iteration of them (every service pack as clean install) in dual boot, but they never won my heart enough to deserve the position of most used OS by me. I either tweaked them out to unbootability or was disgusted by the bloat when untweaked. I don't care about the GUI, I use Total Commander 95% of the time, but something inside me can't stay calm when I see all the unefficiency and wastefulness. XP/2003 isn't a star either, but with some work it can be 'calmed down'. For Vista/7, there is no hope. So now I have fully functional and lightly tweaked second boot of 7 SP1 which I rarely boot into because it gives me no joy.

3. I don't care about official 'support'. The only thing that could ever spoil the party would be manufacturer's conspiracy to not release drivers for XP. It's starting to happen now, but luckily most manufacturers still have some sense to not shrink their sales. On the contrary, I can't find x64 drivers for my cheap webcam and old TV Tuner card.

4. I miss Quick Launch. Every installation of 7 I've tried deletes it on reboot (although recreated as per some site instructions, and even if moved to another place; and believe me, I've tried everything), so I've adapted to the 'pinning' way, but it's not the same. Minor thing, but I bet it's another MSFT's way of disciplining users.

GL

Just a quick thumbs up from a Windows 9X DieHard. :thumbup

More power to you all for hanging on to what you like and refusing to simply go with the flow.

The only thing that could ever spoil the party would be manufacturer's conspiracy to not release drivers for XP.

This is the greatest obstacle for us 9x'ers as well. :(

Ditto, from a double dinosaur (9x and XP diehard). :thumbup

As for the End of Life, no, I don't fear it at all: been there, done that and remain here to tell the story.

When all official support ends, a bunch of committed diehards takes over. It happened before, and will happen again.

@Everyone. Nice. Keep them coming. I am reassured to read I'm not alone and it's also interesting to read the various reasons. :) My concern is inability to run it natively though due to lack of drivers. Sandy Bridge and Sandy Bridge-E are I think the last Intel platforms (if you prefer Intel for performance) where XP will be supported. With Ivy Bridge/7-Series chipsets, there aren't USB 3.0 drivers for Intel's XHCI controller (not even Vista is supported, only W7!!), there may not be AHCI/F6 drivers for XP although I read somewhere chipset drivers and integrated graphics drivers were still made available for XP by Intel. So enthusiasts, now is the time to get your highest end Sandy Bridge-Extreme (X79+Core i7 3960X) and put XP x64 on it.

@ allen2, agree 100%. WinSxS is a real downside to Windows 7. In fact it negates the benefits Windows 7 has for SSDs (automatic TRIM etc in MSAHCI) because if you have a low capacity SSD, and you install heavy programs and games you're screwed. I am a staunch opponent of the Component Based Servicing current design that Vista/7 use which contributes to WinSxS growth and is the core reason for the bloat in Vista/7.

@5eraph Oh dear. That is certainly a thing to worry about. Maybe they do that because XPx64 is only *based on*, not 100% identical to Server 2003 x64. But yes MS could do that and prevent them from installing. Then we would have to create unofficial updates. ;) (Tomasx86 is doing such a great job for Windows 2000 updates). But at the same time, I'm not intimidated or paranoid about support ending, just a little bit concerned because we don't know how aggressive in-the-wild attacks will occur on XP due to its large market share once support ends.

@GrofLuigi, Isn't that Quick Launch disappearing on reboot problem related to the Language Bar? If you disable the Windows 7 Language Bar, it won't disappear. And if you need and use the Language Bar, you can just create a folder called "QuickLaunch" instead of "Quick Launch" and it won't disappear. ;)

There is a workaround that's fairly easy if you're familiar with hex editing. It works for me.

Oh great. If it just takes a simple hex edit, then that's no problem. Why do you think MS did that though? Maybe some binaries of XP x64 and Server 2003 x64 aren't 100% identical. Can that be the reason they produced Server 2003-only hotfixes?

Why do you think MS did that though? Maybe some binaries of XP x64 and Server 2003 x64 aren't 100% identical. Can that be the reason they produced Server 2003-only hotfixes?

Maybe those hotfixes were related to system components available only in Server 2003 x64 and not in XP x64? It's probably the same thing as hotfixes only for Windows 2000 Server or only for Windows 2000 Advanced/Datacenter Server, etc.

Maybe some binaries of XP x64 and Server 2003 x64 aren't 100% identical. Can that be the reason they produced Server 2003-only hotfixes?
Maybe those hotfixes were related to system components available only in Server 2003 x64 and not in XP x64?

If you read further I give what explanations I can. The decision appears to be arbitrary. They do apply to XPx64 but XPx64 is past its mainstream support date, which means it's only supposed to receive security updates.

@GrofLuigi, Isn't that Quick Launch disappearing on reboot problem related to the Language Bar? If you disable the Windows 7 Language Bar, it won't disappear. And if you need and use the Language Bar, you can just create a folder called "QuickLaunch" instead of "Quick Launch" and it won't disappear. ;)

I always disable the Language bar. And I've named the folder FastStart, placed it in various places on the HDD, gave everyone full permissions or restricted permissions to noone but me, to no avail. I see many people had promlems with it. But it's a topic for another topic :) and currently i don't care much about it.

GL