Questions to XP diehards :)

xpclient

Certificates are irrelevant for XP. Downversion patching alone may not get more than a handful of drivers working, but that's a start. And a stubber filter driver like WDMSTUB.SYS might get a bunch more working. But it's not quite straightforward to do it, so some commited programmer(s) are needed, and the sooner the better.

@Dogway, Everything is simply awesome if you are just searching for file names. Too bad it doesn't have a 64-bit version, it misses the files in system32 due to file system redirection. They also have an SDK. "Everything" search result integration would be a great addition to the Classic Shell search box provided it's presented in a better, more concise way than Everything currently does.

Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 is based on XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evaluate/windows-embedded-pos-ready-2009.aspx

Mainstream support until April 2014. Extended support until April 2019.

Ask again in 2015.

Is this really true as of 06/27/12? this would make my day!

Can Someone Please answer this question?

Edited by steveothehighlander

FYI

Big Brother's 'computer' and www (what a wicked web they weave when they labor to deceive) is based in Biblical thinking which Bill Gates (Retired) is obviously aware of.

,95 = 1995 AD

'98 = 1998 AD

2K = 2000 AD

XP = eX Patris (Oh 'father' why hast thou deserted us?)

VISTA - a landscape with NO religious sheeple. (Check the desktop wallpapers.)

7 = the Seven headed Monster with ten horns, and other religious connotations.

8 = The sign for infinity turned 90° into an 8

9 ??? Deep space 9. (The Council of Nine or Great Ennead of Egypt.)

No Sun no gravity, no orbit, and planet Earth disappears into the abyss of empty space.

Time to defenestrate Windows and live life to the full whilst there is still time...

http://theabysmal.wordpress.com/2007/03/03/december-21st-2012-an-updated-implementation/

There are now 176 Days to Dec 21st 2012 (00:00:36 Hours)

Bye Guys, have fun!

Thanks for all your help.

Good luck to all of you.

Ian

All my PCs run Windows XP, including relatively new systems. XP is indeed my primary OS that I use 99% of the time. I've played around and experimented with Windows Vista, 7, Linux, and Unix for quite a long time, and I still wasn't able to migrate away. XP is simply faster, less bloated, and the UI makes much more sense (after some tweaking). I'm the type of person who doesn't care about themes and shiny UI animations, etc. The performance and low overhead matters much more to me than new features and higher overhead (read: bloat).

Two years ago I purchased a TOSHIBA Portege R705 w/ Intel Core i3, which of course came with Windows 7. What did I do to it? I wiped the HDD and installed an n-Lite customized version of XP Pro. Luckily, the OEM provided all the necessary drivers for download, so I had no issues with device drivers. I removed various components like IE, mshtml (IE rendering engine), "fisher price" theme, VB Scripting, OOBE, and other unnecessary resource-eating components. The final product looked a lot more like Windows 2000 than XP. Some people who saw my shiny new PC curiously asked "why are you using Windows 98?" And when that happened, I would have to run the winver command to prove them it's newer than they think.

I regret saying this, but it's only a matter of time before I will be forced to migrate to an OS like WIndows 7 or 8. :( I'm reluctant to migrate to Win7, but it's inevitable if I want to invest in new hardware instead of continuing to use old hardware. Even traditional spinning HDDs being manufactured right now need Windows Vista or higher because they use the new Advanced Format (AF) specification in which 4K sectors are used to store data. Windows XP doesn't support AF, it can only read and write data in units of 512B and M$ has no plans on providing an update to enable native 4K advanced format support. Of course the new AF HDD controllers have 512e emulation, but there is a performance penalty in write operations.

16GB of ram is becoming the new limit on many new PCs and, from what I have heard, Windows XP 64-bit has some issues. So if I want to go beyond 4GB, I'm stuck with 64-bit Windows 7 and future versions. And worst of all, how many OEMs still provide Windows XP drivers, especially to laptop systems? Although I really love Windows XP, migration to Windows 7 is only a matter of time. If these issues were non-existent, I would stick with XP indefinitely, even if M$ cut support. I am my own support!!

NTLDR ... been reading all the replies since this topic started ... your reply was especially interesting. I just spent my first month (June) with XP and couldn't be happier about my decision to move on from Windows 98SE in early May. I have three IBM Thinkpad computers that are now running super fast and great. Yes, they ran very well with Windows 98SE but never quite 100%. I bought them over the last few years since they were listed as the last notebooks (T series) to work with Windows 98SE. I had everything set up with my favorite programs and settings but it wasn't perfect or completely to my liking. So around May 1st I decided to give XP another shot and this time I was going to work with it more and take the time to figure out setting it up exactly the way I would like it to be. The month of May started out gruesome (overwhelming) but quickly after some trial and error, in about two weeks I had a good setup going and by early June had everything just perfect ... thanks to doing a lot of early Ghost backups, if something was a disaster, I could be setup again in minutes to try something different.

Anyway, the last three weeks of June were just running the "final setup" and I couldn't be happier with having XP on my notebooks. I have some extra IDE hard drives put away that I bought on eBay earlier in 2011 and 2012. I added RAM to two notebooks to make them all the same at 1 GB. I was especially happy that I was able to use many programs that I had on my Windows 98SE setup with XP. I sort of feel like the "Maytag Repairman" these days ... nothing more to work on, fix or search around for. As of right now, I feel these notebooks are running as good as I could ever hope for ... 100% +. I'm sure a few things will come along to tweak or try down the road ... but for now, Windows XP is working great and I hope to keep these notebooks and XP working for many years, if not forever. I wish I had moved from Windows 98SE a few years ago ... I had a few Pentium 3s and 98SE ran great on them but these Thinkpads are just super fast with no hangups with XP now installed.

thanks ...

Edited by duffy98

I do not like Widows Vista nor Windows 7.

I do like Windows 2000 and initially (before Service Pack 2), the Windows XP family.

Windows 2000 family operating systems were quite effective and usually efficient to work with initially. Unfortunately, sometime after the release of Service Pack 4, the quality of many the individual updates became poor and the performance and stability of the operating system, fully updated with security updates, was significantly reduced.

Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 was quite good. The operating system was very much like Windows 2000, but with Prefetch and a tweaked interface. The resource use for many things tended to be about 2.7 times what Windows 2000 would use (this seemed intentional, considering that its target market were the regular consumer class (which were typically using Windows ME, Windows 98, and Windows 95)). Performance (from a usability standpoint) was quite like Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3 or Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4, but many things would launch faster (due to the naively included Prefetch).

Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 was and is an inferior product. It was a product that broke precedence of what kind of updates were included in Service Packs. This was the the turning point (downwards) in the quality of Microsoft operating system software. Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 included negative performance changes plus new features to reduce its usability and function. For me, the crippling of the included Hardware Abstraction Layers, where the sum of the addressable device memories and RAM could no longer exceed 4 GB, is perhaps the best example of a severe and restricting functionality change. The change is so severe, that one cannot work around the issue in Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

I am not a xp diehard. I have already tried seven not deeply enough but it has some nice features (user right system, wallpaper sets changer...)

If only I can manage to remove it's major drawbacks as I explained here : link

I will definitly save the cost of win seven.

The problem is that nLite doesn't allow me to do all things that I wan't and I am not able to create an unattended CD by myself.

@Ascii2, agree 100% about this one. You are spot on. Apparently, MS ran into lots of driver address space incompatibilities for SP2 when they tried to address full 4 GB RAM using PAE on 32-bit. But they should have worked to fix them, instead of forcing people to 64-bit indirectly to use all of their RAM. If Server 2003 and XP pre-SP2 XP SP1 worked, I see no technical reason good enough to justify this decision. Fortunately, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition exists and beats the pants of 32-bit XP in terms of performance. Even if it's based on Server 2003 code base (NT 5.2), it is XP-fied (includes everything XP did for the most part) and is compatible with XP everything. It is great if your hardware has XP x64 drivers (from eXPerience, I have come to the conclusion that it is worth dumping hardware that doesn't have XP x64 drivers for one that does).

@frf954, XP has a wallpaper changer as well FYI if you don't like the millions of third party wallpaper changers: :) It's an MS powertoy that integrates nicely into the display properties!

y2mBH.png

Edited by xpclient

Hi I never really get attached to an OS well maybe windows 2000 hehe, I never change the desktop picture once I have it setup I never change anything. I run win 7 64 bit I really cant see running the programs I use in win 98 or xp the new cs 6 wont work no gpu acceleration no 3d and adobe says xp is not supported. I use ssd drives like it’s even hard today to get a sata 2 drive there all sata 3, ssd drives yes in xp if you want to constantly play with them to keep them working and no I dont have any ide drives. I remember programming in access on win 98 I would get out of system resourse please reboot again like every 30 min. Removed 98 went to win 2k never reboot. I suppose one of the reasons I use new operating systems is to learn them so I don’t look like a fool servicing them. As for needing a big system to run win 7 64 bit that is false my internet home pc is a amd athlon 64 bit 3400 + socket 754 3 gig ram and I don’t even get the please wait on boot up. My gaming pc has 2 7970 cards a ssd and 2x 600 gig raptors in raid running win 7 64 bit 16 gig ram photoshop loves it. So I don’t really think upgrading an os if you are in the pc business is your choice it’s a must just to keep up. But I think anyone should run the os they like and get the most performance with and also will run what programs you need to use. For me that leaves out win 98 and xp. I am not to sure about win 8 though I am not sure I even want to know how to use it LOL. But again if you dont all new pc's will have windows 8 on them and you wont know how it works. This is why I started in computers its always changing I get bored very easy if its always the same of anything, Computers always somthing new to learn very nice..

1. I have no intention of moving to Windows 7/Vista. The best OSes are 2000 and XP. Probably, after April 2014, I think that I'll have an old computer which have installed only XP, like the old 2000 now.

2. I had once a Windows 7 preinstalled on my netbook. I moved to XP quickly.

3. As long as I can do all the basic things on 2K/XP, I don't have any problem.

4. The new OSes are slow, they lack support for old programs and drivers, and they aren't simple as 2K/XP.

Edited by Agorima

1. I have no intention of moving to Windows 7/Vista. The best OSes are 2000 and XP. Probably, after April 2014, I think that I'll have an old computer which have installed only XP, like the old 2000 now.

2. I had once a Windows 7 preinstalled on my netbook. I moved to XP quickly.

3. As long as I can do all the basic things on 2K/XP, I don't have any problem.

4. The new OSes are slow, they lack support for old programs and drivers, and they aren't simple as 2K/XP.

Sorry for the double post.

Edited by Agorima

the new cs 6 wont work no gpu acceleration no 3d and adobe says xp is not supported

Photoshop CS 6 supports XP and works perfectly fine in it... I'm pretty sure it will work in 2K too after some "tuning".

Hi I never found win 2k advanced server really simple but it was fun. And If you are Running Windows XP, 3D features and some GPU-enabled features are not supported, as per the technical specifications of cs 6. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/979969?tstart=0 at least thats what Adobe has to say. And im sure everyone will agree this is a trend and will continue if you want to use the newest software and hardware there is only one choice. I am not saying xp or 2k or win 98 is bad its just a fact. If you are only talking about your home pc's thats fine but I cant see a IT pro trying to setup 100 xp or 2k systems on a network and then try and get a program like cs 6 to work properly.