RAR archive password recovery

Octopuss

Could anyone recommend preferrably free tool for this task? Preferrably multi-core optimized.

Only this one free AFAIK:

http://www.crark.net/

Years ago I used this successfully:

http://www.elcomsoft.com/archpr.html

BUT, as evidenced on first link, simply FORGET about recovering a password with brute force unless you can restrict the range considerably (i.e. you know *something* about the actual password), or may be only your great-greatsons will be able to get to the cntents of the archive :ph34r:

jaclaz

Hm, that's promising :D I HOPE the password is less than 7 chars. Other than that... Well I have 8core machine available all the way until next weekenend, so I will give it a shot :P Thanks.

The crark thing looks interesting, but sadly no multicore support, and it doesn't even seem to work. I looked at the syntax of the configuration file and it still can't look for anything over one char long password.

I guess I will not waste time with this :P

The crark thing looks interesting, but sadly no multicore support, and it doesn't even seem to work. I looked at the syntax of the configuration file and it still can't look for anything over one char long password.

Sure, it uses graphic card CPU (which is seemingly faster).

If you have not a machine with one of the supported cards it won't probably work fast enough, but it should work allright.

Possibly you have some issues with the syntax? :unsure:

jaclaz