Frequent Wifi Disconnections

nice one! DNS were simply the same as the gateway. Signal didn't break during the day with the Comodo DNS but from now on I'm using the default ones and see what comes out without using DHCP.

Most probably if it drops again I can get to the conclusion that the router is crap, as I have touched every touchable setting on the router lol

I have a Zyxel around I think, do you think I won't have problems using another router the ISP didn't provide to me?

Does your current router connect directly to the ISP (aka has a modem in it) or does it connect to a separate modem device?

If it isn't the modem itself, I doubt your ISP would care. BUT if your ISP gave you that router, you should definately keep it and not throw it out/sell it etc.

no, it's a one box device. So I guess everything is in it.

Does this means I cannot use for example another router/modem combo? (of course I won't throw away the current one, just keep till I give back to ISP)

edit: btw something curious occuring to me now. It has sometimes happened to me before, it's not a drop but I'm unable to get into some websites (totally random). To ensure is not my fault I usually go to "Down For Everyone Or Just Me" website, but this one also fails to load. This is so strange, networks are an obscure theme for me, like going back to prehistoric RTB modems era, and here nobody sheds any lights either : (

It's not until I delete cookies that I can try to reload page with a succesful possibility.

Edited by Dogway

Well first I would hook up something to it via Ethernet and verify that it works properly like that. If this is the case, you can probably just get your router/modem to act as a bridge. It may have a mode specifically for that, or you might be able to just turn off wireless and DHCP on it. Then you can get a regular wireless router and hook it up to that.

If you end up buying a wireless router, definately do some research on it first, since you might end up having problems just like this with a cheap product. For example, all my experiences I have shared here, none include using a router with built in modem.

Yes of course, I tried by plugging in the cable and it worked right away, the funny point is that then I went back to wireless and it worked! of course, just until it stops working again... (look edit)

I get you, you mean using the ISP router/modem as a modem only device, and connect it to a new good quality router where I'd get wireless from right?

I don't have money but is always good to know so I can add it to the "want" list. I was yesterday googling around and reading about cisco linksys, tp-link reviews etc. Even on those I read bad critics about wireless quality.

My only concern you recommend me a router because I MUST use the ISP modem? or just because there are not good modem/router combos out there?

EDIT: wrong,right now I was getting many pages not loading, so I tried connecting wired (disabling wifi at the same time) and while previous failing pages now loaded right, some other started to fail loading, some more searching on and previous pages again started to fail loading. I guess this must be a modem thing, at least this exact error which is not the same we were discussing (connection drops). Just to tell, I wasn't being able to enter msfn wired, cleaned cache without success, then went wifi and now i could edit the post.

EDIT2: And then it finally dropped, this s*** is an utter crap, this should be considered ilicit, illegal, a negligence. Never worked nice even from the first day 2 years back. They changed me the router and the problem still persisted, but I kept in silence because I was going to install a different firmware (which is not allowed) in order to fix these issues and be able to get into the router and change settings by my own, and not let myself be an ISP marionette. Now I realize that the problem is not them cutting off the access (could be?) but the router/modem. I don't think that changing firmware now to OpenWRT is going to change much, I should try the Zyxel, if it's ok, that's the last resort.

Edited by Dogway

My only concern you recommend me a router because I MUST use the ISP modem? or just because there are not good modem/router combos out there?

My thoughts on using a different modem not provided by the ISP is mixed. I don't have an opinion on the matter. I am sure there are good ones out there, but its not something I have experience with.

But, it is interesting that you are also having problems when connecting via ethernet. Right there would be enough for me to replace the modem/router. Since you said you previously had problems with it wireless, maybe you can call your ISP and complain how it doesn't work wired. Presuming you didn't buy it, maybe they can replace it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Could one of these devices be overheating? Blow the dust out of all the vents, get them off the carpet if that is where they sit, and ensure they are getting some decent airflow.

It's over a furniture away from the floor, with space for air to flow. I don't think that is the reason, but I'll try to clean it anyways.

Edited by Dogway

• 3 months later...

I changed ISP and the wifi is SO MUCH BETTER.

Still, it got one or two disconnections in the first few days, but since then and during 3 weeks no drops, so what I can get from it is that the old router stressed my wifi card too much than it caused to overheat and reset. That's the only thing I can think of.