Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

What's the purpose of a CPU with an integrated GPU?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Outbreaker

Outbreaker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Joined 08-August 07
HI :)

Does a CPU with an integrated GPU have any purpose if you have a separate Graphics Card?

Edited by Outbreaker, 21 June 2012 - 10:04 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

-X-

-X-

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

As an emergency GPU if your main card burns out? I love the fact that my Sandy Bridge has it.

Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk post-12166-0-42859000-1399044129.png ]
               If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

Outbreaker

Outbreaker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Joined 08-August 07
That's all? I thought if you don't need a lot of graphic power the integrated GPU of the CPU would be used and the Graphic Card would be turned off.
So it's better to buy a CPU without a GPU integrated and spend this money on a better graphic card?

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,386 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
? Never having one or any general knowledge of it, I found this -
http://www.overclock...ridges-gpu-work
DVI Connector... the CPU does the work instead of a separate Chip - utilizes (shares) the L3 Cache.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
You can't really make a general statement that will always be true. It will depend on everything from the actual CPU that has the integrated GPU, the external GPU, the motherboard, the BIOS, the OS, etc, etc. I know some combination of integrated GPU + certain external GPU + plus certain motherboards can actually be as you described and have the integrated GPU used for certain tasks and the external GPU take over from, or work together with the internal GPU. For other combinations, if the external card is plugged in the internal one is disabled. For others, you can pick which one you want to use in the BIOS, but you can only use one or the other, not both and it cannot be changed except through the BIOS. You'll just have to read the specs in detail, mainly the motherboard specs, and go from there.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
You can also connect additional monitor(s) to it (of course your motherboard must be able to use both at once).

post-47483-1123010975.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users