Painfully sluggish Win2k explorer

Tommy

This is becoming a real problem for me now and it's getting to the point that I might abandon Windows 2000 if I can't come up with a solution to this. There are select times that when I'm browsing my computer that explorer just decides to go in super slugging snail mode and trying to get it to register anything is painfully slow. It can take up to a minute for something you clicked on to actually highlight itself. The mouse pointer itself moves fine but everything else just slows right down to nearly nothing. If I can manage to open task manager and kill both explorer.exe processes that are open and then reopen explorer via new task, everything goes back to normal. Or even sometimes if I close out the window I'm viewing the speed will pick back up. My computer is an awesome one with 2.23GHz Duo Core with 4GBs of RAM, there's no reason in this whole universe it should be sluggish so I'm thinking there's a problem somewhere. I'm using Update Rollup v2 and bwc's latest v15s kernel extension (but this problem has been even before the latest release). If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it dearly.

I really don't know, I've never actually tried to run my computer without his kernel installed. But usually it seems like I start having problems when I'm working on video editing and I have an explorer window open as well. That's when my problems start to arise, most of the time.

I think you could try to uninstall the kernel, install UURollup-v10 (there's WildBill's explorer.exe 5.0.3900.6932 included in it) and try to use it like that for a few days to check whether the problem is gone or still persists.

Do not even try to install UURollup (ENU) over BWC's kernel - your system will not boot. The kernel must be uninstalled first.

Edited by tomasz86

I had very slow Explorer operation on a W2k without extensions when volumes had a broken Fat or when new disks were detected but badly installed.

This can also happen if one uses badly chosen Compact Flash cards as replacements for mechanical disks.

One other cause can be transmission errors over the disk cable and interface.