Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

BSOD Hard Drive Related?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

joe43wv

joe43wv

• PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Joined 08-May 08
I have a customer reporting that their system is doing random BSOD's. I checked it a couple of weeks ago and found it was infected with malware. I cleaned it up and thought everything was fixed. They called again last week and said the BSOD was back. I checked the hard drive and the scans show the beginnings of the drive malfunctioning. I want to ensure that this is the only issue this device is having. I'm attaching the minidump file for reivew if someone could take a look to ensure my findings are correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06
Just before the crash, there was something fat/fat32 formated (most likely an usb drive) so it might be the root cause. Doing some chkdsk /F or /R on those drives might fix it.

joe43wv

joe43wv

• PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Joined 08-May 08
The user did mention that they were having trouble with their iPod classic connecting to the PC. Could this be causing the issues?

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06
I had one time an usb drive with ntfs corruption and it would crash any computer when connected. To fix it I had to use linux. So it possible that the ipod is causing this behavior.

Sterlin

Sterlin

• 12 posts
  • Joined 07-April 10

I checked the hard drive and the scans show the beginnings of the drive malfunctioning.

In my few years of tech work, if the drive is even 'sorta' failing, then it is failed and no more work is necessary until the faulty hardware is replaced. Anything else is a bandaid on a broken arm.

Just my $.02...

Edited by Sterlin, 06 August 2012 - 09:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users