BSOD Hard Drive Related?

joe43wv

I have a customer reporting that their system is doing random BSOD's. I checked it a couple of weeks ago and found it was infected with malware. I cleaned it up and thought everything was fixed. They called again last week and said the BSOD was back. I checked the hard drive and the scans show the beginnings of the drive malfunctioning. I want to ensure that this is the only issue this device is having. I'm attaching the minidump file for reivew if someone could take a look to ensure my findings are correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mini061412-02.zip

Just before the crash, there was something fat/fat32 formated (most likely an usb drive) so it might be the root cause. Doing some chkdsk /F or /R on those drives might fix it.

I had one time an usb drive with ntfs corruption and it would crash any computer when connected. To fix it I had to use linux. So it possible that the ipod is causing this behavior.

• 1 month later...
I checked the hard drive and the scans show the beginnings of the drive malfunctioning.

In my few years of tech work, if the drive is even 'sorta' failing, then it is failed and no more work is necessary until the faulty hardware is replaced. Anything else is a bandaid on a broken arm.

Just my $.02...

Edited by Sterlin