Windows 7 x86 Networking Problems

I'm running windows 7 x86 on my laptop and desktop. The first problem I have is slow load time from my desktop to my laptop. The second issue is Remote Desktop Connection never works. The third issues is I tried useing a program called mouse with out boarders. The program finds the other computer but times out then says make sure your connected to the same network. I have also tried to use homegroup and got the same issues. Am I doing something wrong or does windows networking just suck that hard?

The desktop is wired. The laptop is wireless N. I dont have a wireless N router which i dont think has anything to do with it.

Im useing a Netgear WGR614v7

Ive Tried Homegroup And Workgroup And Ive Disable Windows Firewall.

Ok so you can already see files from one PC to the other? Can each computer see each other in the Network window?

For RDP, you should have created a user account (with password) to use for the connection. This account should be added into the "Remote Desktop Users" group. You could also use the same account used to access file shares.

BUT it may be required to know whether you have Professional, Home Premium or another version of Windows 7.