Windows won't standby with Hybrid enabled

doveman

I have setup an HTPC running MediaPortal with Windows 7 x32 Ultimate, which is set to go to standby after 30 minutes. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't and I can't figure out any rhyme or reason as to why, so I'd be grateful for some assistance with tracking down what the problem is.

As you'll know, Windows is pretty terrible regarding providing any information as to what might be preventing standby. I've checked no devices are set to prevent it (of course, if they were it wouldn't work sometimes anyway). If I do powercfg - requests it shows:

C:\Users\MediaPortal>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY: None.

SYSTEM:[DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.

AWAYMODE: None.

but I've used the tweak to set "Enable standby with remote opens" in Power Options and powercfg -requestsoverride shows:

C:\Users\MediaPortal>powercfg -requestsoverride
[SERVICE]

[PROCESS]

[DRIVER]\FileSystem\srvnet SYSTEM

I had LogMeIn installed, which has an option at install to "Prevent standby when AC power is available". I'm not sure how it enforces that, but I unticked it anyway so that shouldn't have been a problem but I've completely uninstalled it now anyway, due to problems with it's mirror driver disabling Aero and not re-enabling it after disconnecting. I now have TightVNC installed which uses a mirror driver but that does re-enable Aero when disconnected. I don't think that can be anything to do with the Standby problem anyway.

Edited by doveman

As you'll know, Windows is pretty terrible regarding providing any information as to what might be preventing standby.

But maybe you can find what prevented it (past tense) checking in the event logs? :unsure:

jaclaz

But maybe you can find what prevented it (past tense) checking in the event logs? :unsure:

Would be nice if we could, but no there's nothing useful in there. I looked into that when I had a problem with Standby a while ago on a different PC and it wasn't of any help then either!

I've been testing today with hibernate disabled (powercfg -h off) and Standby seems to work OK like that (I'll give it a couple of days to be sure though).

I previously found that Standby doesn't work with hibernate enabled if the C: partition isn't marked Active, due to some internal Windows requirement for the partition holding the hibernate file to be the Active one, but this isn't the problem now as the C: partition is marked Active. Anyway, with that problem Standby never worked, whereas now it's an intermittent problem.

I'll certainly test it to see, although I only want to use Hibernate for the Hybrid function (i.e. restore in the event of a power-cut) so if it's necessary to disable Hybrid I might as well just disable Hibernate completely.

EDIT: Hmm, I don't know if this is normal or could be the cause of the problem, but when I look at the Security tab for hiberfil.sys it shows "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be displayed". Mind you it says the same on my other system, although I don't use standby or hibernate on there much (other than manual standby) so there could be a problem with that as well for all I know! I am logged in with an Administrator account on both systems.

Edited by doveman

OK, it seems to work with Hybrid disabled. So is there anything else we can do to work out why it doesn't work with Hybrid enabled (i.e. when it's writing to the Hibernate file on standby)?

It seems there's a bit of confusion here. I asked "So is there anything else we can do to work out why it doesn't work with Hybrid enabled " and your reply just explains how, when using Hybrid mode, it writes the hibernation file at the beginning of standby, which I thought my post #9 showed I already knew, but perhaps it wasn't clear.

I'll check whether manual Hibernation works then. In the past when I've had problems with standby or hibernate not working automatically, I've always found them to work when triggered manually so I expect it to work but I'll check to be sure.