Kext: DIY KernelEx extensions

The latest VC redist for XP with the new universal c runtime (ucrt.dll) includes a certainly more compatible full set of ms-api dlls. They don't load either however but they give off an error message saying they don't load at the correct address and aren't relocatable. perhaps it would be possible to fix this but I certainly would not know what to do.

Anything dynamically linked compiled by VC 2015 won't run as they will need those. I've run a few command line tools staticly compiled by VS 2015 and they ran fine so there might be some hope something can be done by those who know much more than I do.

We can easily redirect these. Details tonight.

The API Set Schema for Windows 7

Windows 7 Kernel Architecture Changes - api-ms-win-core files

API-MS-Win7.reg:

REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\KnownDLLs]"API-MS-Win-Core-Console-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-DateTime-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-Debug-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll"""API-MS-Win-Core-DelayLoad-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-ErrorHandling-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-Fibers-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll"""API-MS-Win-Core-File-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-Handle-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-Heap-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll"""API-MS-Win-Core-Interlocked-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-IO-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-LibraryLoader-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-Localization-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-LocalRegistry-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-Memory-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-Misc-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-NamedPipe-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-ProcessEnvironment-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-ProcessThreads-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-Profile-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-RtlSupport-L1-1-0.dll"="Ntdll.dll"API-MS-Win-Core-String-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-Synch-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-SysInfo-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-ThreadPool-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-UMS-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-Util-L1-1-0.dll"="Kernel32.dll""API-MS-Win-Core-XState-L1-1-0.dll"="Ntdll.dll"API-MS-Win-Security-Base-L1-1-0.dll"="Advapi32.dll""API-MS-Win-Security-LSALookup-L1-1-0.dll"="Advapi32.dll""API-MS-Win-Security-SDDL-L1-1-0.dll"="Advapi32.dll""API-MS-Win-Service-Core-L1-1-0.dll"="Advapi32.dll""API-MS-Win-Service-Management-L1-1-0.dll"="Advapi32.dll""API-MS-Win-Service-Management-L2-1-0.dll"="Advapi32.dll""API-MS-Win-Service-winsvc-L1-1-0.dll"="Advapi32.dll""Kernelbase.dll"="Kernel32.dll""Sechost.dll"="Advapi32.dll"

stubs.ini:

[Kernel32.dll]ImpersonateNamedPipeClient=>Advapi32:

For Windows 8 and beyond we will need quite a few more.

Windows 8 API Sets

Edited by jumper

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but I have a question regarding Firefox 3.6.28. For some reason, "..."'s come out wrong (they look sorta like tall, thin blocks that resemble the | character). It doesn't hamper functionality as far as I can tell, but it's annoying, and I want to know if it can be fixed.

Thanks,
c

I've been fighting the same elipses problem for several years. I think the answer is a MS Sans Serif font upgrade. Angled quotes are also a problem.

Meanwhile, it can be fixed in the menus and message boxes by changing the Windows system fonts for those items in: Display Properties >> Appearance. Choose the Item (Menu, Message Box, Tool Tips, ...Title bar) and Font (Arial, Tahoma, Verdana, ...).

* Yes, we are a bit off-topic here (although I have considered programatic solutions) -- so DO NOT post any images. *

Changing the font worked. Thanks!

It also got ClearType working (apparently) via RP9.7, so that's good too. How would I go about updating MS Sans Serif in the future so that it would work as well?

c

• 1 year later...

hi guys,

sorry for the noob questions, but i need some basic help.

i installed a win98se vm in virtualbox , installed kernelex and tried to run sumatrapdf 2.1.1, but i just gave an error "libmupdf.dll" is linked to missing ntdll.dll :(

http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/Sumatra_PDF

i tried the steps in the wiki and replaced the msvcrt.dll -> issue same. the wiki states too, to install KEXT, but i really dont know what to do.

i've downloaded K452stub.7z , Core.ini, Ktree9.7z, iphlpapi4.7z and Kstub822.zip  and put them in the kernelex folder, but i think it isnt enough.  do i need to register these files or add some lines in some ini file?

ktree9 is working, but i dont know what it tells me :)

the wiki gave another info for the install version of sumatra:  at first it states do the steps for the portable version "replace ntdll.dll" but my sumtra had no ntdll ?!?

later it states "Drag and Drop the libmupdf.dll on the ImportPatcher.exe. Click no"  there is no optione to click yes or no.  the patcher opens with some checkboxes and the option to pacth, but no "no-option"

then "Open the new ini file with the editor (NotePad) and paste 'ntdll.dll=9xdll.dll' under [DLL replacements] and save it"  but i find the files see above???

could somebody help a vm noob? would be great to have sumatra and specially kernelex running!

best regards

Welcome to MSFN.org, xtj.

I use SumatraPDF 2.1.1 myself. Viewing a file in SumatraPDF 2.1.1, I see that libmupdf.dll is not loaded. Delete (or rename) it and try again.
Libmupdf.dll is an optional component only used by some builds of SumatraPDF and usually doesn't depend on Ntdll at all (v.2.2 doesn't).

With the latest KernelEx 4.5.2016 updates, Kexstubs is not needed for SumatraPDF versions up through 2.2.

• 2 months later...

Opera was notorious for nagging if you didn't have it. Opera's developers believed strongly that it was the best version. For visual quality or performance, I don't know.

• 4 months later...

How can we get KM76-Goanna beta made by roytam1 working on 98se. 

Ok I followed Jumper advice and updated kernelex to the latest by replacing the files in the kernelex folder with the newest ones.

I downloaded a hacked mscvr120.dll that roytam1 made and put it in my kmelon folder on C:\ drive.

I selected xpsp2 compatibility.

I go to click on kmelon and it says kmelon failed to initialize, please reinstall.  I click ok.  Kmelon illegal operation it says.  and a box of stuff.

Thanks for testing this new browser! Looks like we have a cascading failure.

What to do:
* The "box of stuff" is very important--please report it exactly. You probably don't have enough CPU (FineSSE might help).
* Profile in Dependency Walker to see what module is failing to load.
* Enable API logging on modules that fail to init and retest/profile with DebugWindow/KexApiLog open.
* Test each (and every) module with Import Patcher.

That version of Msvcr120 loads on my Via C3 system (no SSE or CMOV). I put it in C:\Windows\KernelEx\Msvc and enabled it with this registry setting:
  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx\KnownDLLs]
  "MSVCR120"="MSVC\\MSVCR120.DLL"

9 minutes ago, jumper said:

Thanks for testing this new browser! Looks like we have a cascading failure.

What to do:
* The "box of stuff" is very important--please report it exactly. You probably don't have enough CPU (FineSSE might help).
* Profile in Dependency Walker to see what module is failing to load.
* Enable API logging on modules that fail to init and retest/profile with DebugWindow/KexApiLog open.
* Test each (and every) module with Import Patcher.

That version of Msvcr120 loads on my Via C3 system (no SSE or CMOV). I put it in C:\Windows\KernelEx\Msvc and enabled it with this registry setting:
  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx\KnownDLLs]
  "MSVCR120"="MSVC\\MSVCR120.DLL"

KM76-Goanna works without SSE/MMX(yes, just slow without them), so CPU is not a problem here.