Kext: DIY KernelEx extensions

Ktree8.zip:

• tree-view list of APIs supported by KernelEx
  • lists extension modules invoked by "contents=" of Core.ini
  • lists by DLL all APIs supported by each module
  • lists DLLs supported via HKLM\Software\KernelEx\KnownDLLs

A minor, but important, step forward to also include extensions via KernelEx\KnownDLLs.

Edited by jumper

• 2 weeks later...

With "[iPHLPAPI.DLL]GetAdaptersAddresses=r120s5" in the ini file µTorrent 2.0 crashes on start.

Does µTorrent 2.0 start or even load without the stub?

What is the nature of the crash (is it silent or is there a message)?

You can also try using the GetAdaptersAddresses (or whole IPHLPAPI.DLL) from 2K, XP, ReactOS, Wine, WildBill, or blackwingcat.

Edited by jumper

With "[iPHLPAPI.DLL]GetAdaptersAddresses=r120s5" in the ini file µTorrent 2.0 crashes on start.

Does µTorrent 2.0 start or even load without the stub?

What is the nature of the crash (is it silent or is there a message)?

You can also try using the GetAdaptersAddresses (or whole IPHLPAPI.DLL) from 2K, XP, ReactOS, Wine, WildBill, or blackwingcat.

Kstub822.log: = IPHLPAPI.DLL:GetAdaptersAddresses =

1. Without  "[iPHLPAPI.DLL]GetAdaptersAddresses=r120s5" µTorrent 2.0.4 works fine. 

Prompt: No combination works. (GetAdaptersAddresses=)

2. Message: screenshot

The crash dump dmp file is empty.

3. Whole IPHLPAPI.DLL of Wild Bill in the system folder: µTorrent starts and runs.

post-266873-0-49685900-1349612715_thumb.

µTorrent:

Uninstalling of the Fritz Firewall (SARAH.DLL) doesn't work and the crash dump file is still empty.

Opera (comp. mode Win 2000):

Opera 12.5 build 1513 is the latest version that works for me, of course without plugins.

If I add "[iPHLPAPI.DLL]GetAdaptersAddresses=r120s5" in the ini file, Opera build 1546 starts, but I get the internal connection error.

Build 1577 and higher versions crash on start. I didn't download every build.

Crashlog of build 12.10 1615:

crash.zip

• 1 month later...

[IpHlpApi.dll]
GetPerAdapterInfo=r50s3e50 ; Error_Not_Supported, 3 Params

Enables HoverIP v1.0b to work with "iphlpapi.dll" version 5.0.1717.2 (newer versions I've found, such as 5.0.2173.2, have the required function but unfortunately also a whole bunch of dependencies).

Joe.

According to MSDN, GetPerAdapterInfo doesn't set the last error via SetLastError(). So without the "e50" that should be:

[IpHlpApi.dll]
GetPerAdapterInfo=r50s3 ; Error_Not_Supported, 3 Params

Thanks, jumper. I've confirmed that HoverIP works just fine without the SetLastError option.

Looking at the MSDN information, I suppose if it doesn't mention anything about a function setting the "last error" code, it means it isn't set.

Joe.

Edited by jds

µTorrent doesn't crash with  "GetAdaptersAddresses=t5"

I've just tried this 't5' setting and it produces this problem with SAP GUI for Java 7.10r3 when connecting to the server :

Error: internal error

Mon Nov 26 17:06:05 2012

Release 710

Component NI (network interface), version 39

rc = -1, module ninti.c, line 214

Detail NiPGetNodeAddrList03

System Call GetAdaptersAddresses

Error No -1

However, the following (undocumented return code for this function?) works OK for SAP GUI (no Kstub entry also works) :

GetAdaptersAddresses=r50s5

Joe.

[iPHLPAPI.DLL]

GetAdaptersAddresses=t5  works for µTorrent 2.0. => Kstub822.log: " = IPHLPAPI.DLL:GetAdaptersAddresses=t5 ="

GetAdaptersAddresses=r50s5 or r120s5 doesn't work for it. => Kstub822.log: "= IPHLPAPI.DLL:GetAdaptersAddresses=r50s5 =" or "= IPHLPAPI.DLL:GetAdaptersAddresses=r120s5 ="

[iPHLPAPI.DLL]

GetAdaptersAddresses=t5  works for µTorrent 2.0. => Kstub822.log: " = IPHLPAPI.DLL:GetAdaptersAddresses=t5 ="

GetAdaptersAddresses=r50s5 or r120s5 doesn't work for it. => Kstub822.log: "= IPHLPAPI.DLL:GetAdaptersAddresses=r50s5 =" or "= IPHLPAPI.DLL:GetAdaptersAddresses=r120s5 ="

Hmmm ... So the only setting so far that is compatible between µTorrent and SAP GUI for Java 7.10r3 is no setting. Too bad the latest Opera doesn't agree with that.

For completeness, these are the documented return codes that SAP GUI for Java likes : 8, 87, 111, 232, 1228. It also likes undocumented return codes : 1, 50, 120. It doesn't like -1 and I don't dare try 0 (too risky).

Joe.

>Hmmm ... So the only setting so far that is compatible between µTorrent and SAP GUI for Java 7.10r3 is no setting. Too bad the latest Opera doesn't agree with that.

For Opera and any other apps that won't load without GetAdaptersAddresses, we'll create two definitions in Kexstubs.ini:

[IPHLPAPI.DLL]
GetAdaptersAddresses=r50s5 ;.0
GetAdaptersAddresses=t5 ;.1

Then we'll disable them by default in Core.ini:

[DCFG1.names.98]
IPHLPAPI.GetAdaptersAddresses=none

[DCFG1.names.Me]

Then add new profiles in Core.ini to support them:

[ApiConfigurations]
default=0
0=DCFG1
11=W2KGAA0
12=W2KGAA1

[W2KGAA0]
inherit=NT2K
desc=Win2K+GetAdaptersAddresses.r50s5

[W2KGAA0.names]
IPHLPAPI.GetAdaptersAddresses=Kexstubs.0

[W2KGAA1]
inherit=NT2K
desc=Win2K+GetAdaptersAddresses.t5

[W2KGAA1.names]
IPHLPAPI.GetAdaptersAddresses=Kexstubs.1

As needed:

• Replace "Kexstubs" with "Kstub822"
  • These new profiles can inherit from any other profile

Edit: struck Kex from stubs.ini

Edited by jumper

>Hmmm ... So the only setting so far that is compatible between µTorrent and SAP GUI for Java 7.10r3 is no setting. Too bad the latest Opera doesn't agree with that.

For Opera and any other apps that won't load without GetAdaptersAddresses, we'll create two definitions in Kexstubs.ini:

[IPHLPAPI.DLL]

Then we'll disable them by default in Core.ini

Well, SAPGUI is happy with GetAdaptersAddresses disabled, so perhaps only the 't5' setting is required, for Opera.

Also, it would be good to know if another setting such as 'r232s5' may work with µTorrent or even Opera. The return code 50 was one that I'd copied from another IpHlpApi function (GetPerAdapterInfo) for HoverIP, and isn't actually documented for GetAdaptersAddresses. SAPGUI accepted it and indeed, seems to except many other return codes, but not -1.

Joe.

Edited by jds

[IPHLPAPI.DLL]

Then we'll disable them by default in Core.ini:

[DCFG1.names.98]

[DCFG1.names.Me]

Then add new profiles in Core.ini to support them:

[ApiConfigurations]
default=0
0=DCFG1
11=W2KGAA0
12=W2KGAA1

[W2KGAA0]
inherit=NT2K
desc=Win2K+GetAdaptersAddresses.r50s5

[W2KGAA0.names]
IPHLPAPI.GetAdaptersAddresses=Kexstubs.0

[W2KGAA1]
inherit=NT2K
desc=Win2K+GetAdaptersAddresses.t5

[W2KGAA1.names]
IPHLPAPI.GetAdaptersAddresses=Kexstubs.1

As needed:

• Replace "Kexstubs" with "Kstub822"
  • These new profiles can inherit from any other profile

My first try failed.

I couldn't start Opera 12.5 builds 1513 and higher, except build 1578 (12.02). Message: "Opera Error - Failed to load Opera.dll because: A device attached to the system is not functioning." The setting W2k+t5 wasn't kept. The comp mode window changed to default mode. I'll try it again.

Edited by schwups