Core.ini

[ApiConfigurations]

default=0

Renamed both files ini and dll to Kexstubs

Kexstubs.ini:

[iphlpapi.dll]

GetAdaptersAdresses=t5  (no wrapper)

Result:

µTorrent and OpenOffice runs and for the moment I can't see a problem.

New setting "Win2000 SP4, no ACTCTX  doesn't persist. The setting jumps to base enhancements.

BTW Fresh Diagnose works up to the latest version 8.66. With October 7, 2010 - Release of Fresh Diagnose 8.46

a new windows user rights module was introduced.

Kext supports NetApi32.dll:NetApiBufferFree

Excellent feedback, schwups! :thumbup

It has highlighted several problems that I need to fix....

>Renamed both files ini and dll to Kexstubs

:blushing: Oops, please undo that! In a number of posts I have incorrectly :wacko: referred to "stubs.ini" as "Kexstubs.ini" and this has probably caused many of our testing problems. :ph34r:

"Kexstubs" has become in practice just the family name.

+ Each version of Kstubnnn.dll (e.g. Kstub822.dll) should be used as is, without renaming.

+ The stable definitions file should be named stubs.ini.

+ The test definitions file(s) should be named Kstubnnn.ini (e.g. Kstub822.ini, Kstub626.ini, etc.) and will override stubs.ini.

This allows overriding of the stable definitions while testing. This also allows the use of multiple versions of Kexstubs simultaneously with different definitions/logging options.

I will edit the erroneous posts, but will also need to release a new version of Kexstubs that makes the search order: Kstubnnn.ini, Kexstubs.ini, stubs.ini. For testing at this time, please use the names Kstub822.dll and Kstub822.ini .

@Everyone: Suggestions for KstubE05 (E=14th month of 2012) upgrades requested!

>New setting "Win2000 SP4, no ACTCTX doesn't persist. The setting jumps to base enhancements.

KernelEx is rejecting this profile probably because the ActCtx functions aren't getting created by Kexstubs, so can't be uncreated in Core.ini!

You can use Ktree to confirm whether or not Kexstubs is creating stubs for the KERNEL32:*ActCtx* functions.

Hi Jumper, using Method 4 I could activate 6 of the 7 ActCtx and Open Office worked as it should.

After activating FindActCtxSectionStringW=f5e it crashes on start.

But unfortunately with even one ActCtx running MultiPlayerClassic6491 do not start at all. So I again had to take these out.

>Hi Jumper, using Method 4 I could activate 6 of the 7 ActCtx and Open Office worked as it should.

After activating FindActCtxSectionStringW=f5e it crashes on start.

What version of OO and what all ActCtx functions does it use?

Please test return codes other than false for FindActCtxSectionStringW [edit]such as f5e120 and t5[/edit].

[Edit]

Here's a custom profile for Core.ini to disable just FindActCtxSectionStringW:

[ApiConfigurations]
10=NOFACSS

[NOFACSS]
inherit=NT2K
desc=Win2000 SP4 (for OpenOffice)

[NOFACSS.names]
KERNEL32.FindActCtxSectionStringW=none

[/Edit]

>But unfortunately with even one ActCtx running MultiPlayerClassic6491 do not start at all. So I again had to take these out.

Did you try the new "no ActCtx" mode?

Edited by jumper

>New setting "Win2000 SP4, no ACTCTX doesn't persist. The setting jumps to base enhancements.

KernelEx is rejecting this profile probably because the ActCtx functions aren't getting created by Kexstubs, so can't be uncreated in Core.ini! You can use Ktree to confirm whether or not Kexstubs is creating stubs for the KERNEL32:*ActCtx* functions.

Ktree doesn't list stubs for the KERNEL32:*ActCtx* functions. So Kexstubs hasn't created them.

I will rename the files back to Kexstub822.

>Renamed both files ini and dll to Kexstubs

Oops, please undo that! In a number of posts I have incorrectly referred to "stubs.ini" as "Kexstubs.ini" and this has probably caused many of our testing problems.

"Kexstubs" has become in practice just the family name.

+ Each version of Kstubnnn.dll (e.g. Kstub822.dll) should be used as is, without renaming.

+ The stable definitions file should be named stubs.ini.

+ The test definitions file(s) should be named Kstubnnn.ini (e.g. Kstub822.ini, Kstub626.ini, etc.) and will override stubs.ini.

This allows overriding of the stable definitions while testing. This also allows the use of multiple versions of Kexstubs simultaneously with different definitions/logging options.

I will edit the erroneous posts, but will also need to release a new version of Kexstubs that makes the search order: Kstubnnn.ini, Kexstubs.ini, stubs.ini. For testing at this time, please use the names Kstub822.dll and Kstub822.ini .

OK,

method 4

my cofigurations now:

Core.ini:

[ApiConfigurations]

default=0

0=DCFG1

|

|

9=NOHEAP

10=NOFACSS

[DCFG1]

contents=Kstub822,std,kexbases,kexbasen

desc=Base enhancements

|

|

[NOFACSS]

inherit=NT2K

[NOFACSS.names]

Kstub822.ini:

The seven ActCtx api's in Kstub822.ini

Kstub822 and stable stubs.ini now in the KernelEX folder

Result:

Now Ktree lists the stubs for the KERNEL32:*ActCtx* functions.

The Explorer is unusable: => Runtime Error.... Program: C:....Explorer => later a message "Explorer caused an error in WEBVW.dll"

Can't run OpenOffice: default mode KernelEX enabled => Runtime Error.... Program: C:....swriter.exe ... R6034...and then "Error starting program - The msvcr90.dll file cannot start"

Mode Win 2000 SP4 (for OpenOffice) => doesn't persist => changes to base enhancements => Runtime Error.... Program: C:....swriter.exe and then "Error starting program - The the msvcr90.dll file cannot start"

Kstub822.log: = Kernel32.dll:CreateActCtxW=t1e =

Edited by schwups

>The seven ActCtx api's in Kstub822.ini

Good. Make sure you reboot after adding (including uncommenting!) definitions.

>Now Ktree lists the stubs for the KERNEL32:*ActCtx* functions.

Only valid if you rebooted after adding definitions.

>The Explorer is unusable: => Runtime Error.... Program: C:....Explorer => later a message "Explorer caused an error in WEBVW.dll"

As I recall, you use an extension that requires KernelEx. Find that extension and set it to "no ActCtx". Or try setting Explorer.exe.

>Can't run OpenOffice: default mode KernelEX enabled => Runtime Error.... Program: C:....swriter.exe ... R6034...and then "Error starting program - The msvcr90.dll file cannot start"

We keep referring to "OpenOffice" but it is actually a suite and individual apps/dll's might need to have their modes set individually.

>Mode Win 2000 SP4 (for OpenOffice) => doesn't persist

If your Core.ini contains all the following and "Win2000 SP4 (for OpenOffice)" won't stick, Kexstubs isn't providing KERNEL32.FindActCtxSectionStringW. Make sure the definition is enabled in Kstub822.ini and you reboot after enabling it.

[ApiConfigurations]
default=0
0=DCFG1
1=WIN95
2=WIN98
3=WINME
4=NT40
5=NT2K
6=NOAC
7=WINXP
8=VISTA
9=NOHEAP
10=NOFACSS

[NOFACSS]
inherit=NT2K

[NOFACSS.names]

Reminder to everyone: Kexstubs allows for modifying existing definitions with just an app restart, but additions and/or deletions of definitions requires an Immediate reboot! Changes to Core.ini don't take effect until after the next reboot, but it does not have to happen immediately.

Edited by jumper

If you have an NT2K mode that sticks and supports KERNEL32.FindActCtxSectionStringW, NOFACSS should also stick--those are the only two dependencies:

• [NOFACSS]
    inherit=NT2K
    [NOFACSS.names]

Perhaps the KernelEx bug that limits the number of modes that stick to 11 (0..10) limits ME to something even lower. Try renumbering the modes like this:

[ApiConfigurations]
default=0
0=DCFG1
1=WIN95
2=WIN98
3=WINME
4=NT40
5=NT2K
6=NOFACSS
7=NOAC
8=WINXP
9=VISTA
10=NOHEAP

If this works, check to see if NOHEAP and VISTA will stick.

You can also drop from the numbering sequence any modes you don't use (e.g. NOHEAP, NT40, etc.), just make sure to leave the sections for inheritance purposes.

Perhaps the KernelEx bug that limits the number of modes that stick to 11 (0..10) limits ME to something even lower.

Hmmm, wouldn't it be a good idea if you and Leyok may work together to improve KernelEx altogether ??

If you have an NT2K mode that sticks and supports KERNEL32.FindActCtxSectionStringW, NOFACSS should also stick--those are the only two dependencies:

• [NOFACSS]
    inherit=NT2K
    [NOFACSS.names]

Perhaps the KernelEx bug that limits the number of modes that stick to 11 (0..10) limits ME to something even lower. Try renumbering the modes like this:

[ApiConfigurations]
default=0
0=DCFG1
1=WIN95
2=WIN98
3=WINME
4=NT40
5=NT2K
6=NOFACSS
7=NOAC
8=WINXP
9=VISTA
10=NOHEAP

If this works, check to see if NOHEAP and VISTA will stick.

You can also drop from the numbering sequence any modes you don't use (e.g. NOHEAP, NT40, etc.), just make sure to leave the sections for inheritance purposes.

>The Explorer is unusable: => Runtime Error.... Program: C:....Explorer => later a message "Explorer caused an error in WEBVW.dll"

As I recall, you use an extension that requires KernelEx. Find that extension and set it to "no ActCtx". Or try setting Explorer.exe.

All the attempts don't work. All the specfic compatibility modes don't stick! It's possible to disable KernelEX. Also for the Explorer, but that doesn't solve the problem, it only makes the explorer usable again.

Ktree lists the stubs for the KERNEL32:*ActCtx* functions.

Edited by schwups

Running µTorrent 3.0: Main Problem: The downloads aren't saved - The download folder remains empty. 

Kstub822.log: NTdll.dll:NTAllocateVirtualMemory=t6=

Configuration: stable Kstub822  - *ActCtx* functions commented out

> > If you have an NT2K mode that sticks [...]

> All the attempts don't work. All the specfic compatibility modes don't stick!

If you are saying NT2K mode won't stick, and that even Win95 mode won't stick, check that the Kstub822 module names match:

• [DCFG1]
    contents=Kstub822,std,kexbases,kexbasen
    [WIN95.names]
    ComDlg32.PrintDlgExA=Kstub822.0
    ComDlg32.PrintDlgExW=Kstub822.0

I read your unedited post yesterday and choose to do the above as the safest, most foolproof and almost 100% guaranteed to work immediately method.

At the end, I got an almost 100% fix for all the crashing programs I had after hexing out actctx strings in the following dlls [....]

After doing this I had only 2 progs out of around 200 that still wouldn't run including K-Meleon 1.6. It turned out that they had those actctx strings in themselves, probably statically linked at compile with one of the above dlls, and hexing the strings out of the programs fixed them too.

So I have a perfect 100% fix for all the issues I had and can run my VST plugins relying on actctx functions.

:thumbup

I'll be reading up the rest you've written now.

Cheers.

I was pretty sure I could bait you into tackling Method 3 by using the verb "hex"! :w00t:

Now that we have one method that we know works, I'll continue pursuing the other three. I'm sure Method 4 works, but it's proving difficult to set up reliably; I think a profile that enables ActCtx rather than disabling it will work better. I'm still hoping for a Method 2 solution (e120 or e127, perhaps) that will make the other methods unnecessary.

I didn't have any apps that look for ActCtx functions, so hadn't been able to test myself. Now I've downloaded K-Meleon 1.6 and will begin testing.

Thanks you, loblo, for providing us with the first working solution to the ActCtx conundrum! :thumbup