Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Kext: DIY KernelEx extensions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Hi Loblo,

I have these 'Get....' in my kstub:

GetFileSizeEx=f2e120 ;D3DX9_43.dll 9.29.952.3111
GetGeoInfoA=z5e
GetGeoInfoW=z5e
GetSystemRegistryQuota=z2e
GetSystemWow64DirectoryA=z2e120
GetSystemWow64DirectoryW=z2e120
GetUserGeoID=t1
GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPointA=z3e
GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPointW=z3e

Are there more useful ones to add besides GetLogicalProcessorInformation ??

Thx, MiKl

It's best IMO to add function definitions only as the need for them arises.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MiKl

MiKl

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi Jumper and everybody else,

while browsing the internet I stumbled over an app that might be useful !! (But I am sure this is just old news ...)

However, here is the link:

http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=47

MiKl

MiKl

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I am wondering if dll's from the WINE project can be used ??

Especially ntdll.dll looks promising !

http://source.winehq...eAPI/ntdll.html

http://source.winehq...eAPI/ole32.html

http://source.winehq...I/advapi32.html

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Using the sources to update KernelEx would be a better idea. But a question arises: when will we stop transforming 9x into NT?

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Using the sources to update KernelEx would be a better idea. But a question arises: when will we stop transforming 9x into NT?

I think, 98 should be considered 98 while it can run all the applications, compatible with Windows 98 natively. So we should stop only when we break compatibility with older applications. Unfortunately real life shows that we stop much earlier - when developers lose interest.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Such topic could easily extend inedefinitely. I see people always asking for compatibility with newer applications and can't stop wondering how many of the older, native-9x ones, are still being used. People always want 'the newest', 'the latest' just to follow the trend, not because they really need that.

Of course, there are those 'new standards' that keep being 'upgraded' from time to time for the sole reason of offering leverage to commercial programmers to build and sell new versions of their applications. That's an ever turning wheel, driven by the current economy model at global scale.

Then, software is more and more tied to hardware, which gets upgraded for the very same reason as above. Hardware upgrade requires software upgrade, then software upgrade requires hardware upgrade and so on and so forth, while choice has been taken from us constantly until it all became "my way or the highway".

At some point we did stop. We had to stop, we can't pursue this madness as much as we'd try. This is a neverending game of greed and power.

As I said, we could talk on this topic indefinitely, but this is not the right place and we wouldn't get to an unanymous conclusion anyway. Therefore I stop here, apologyzing for the off-topic.

(fixed small grammar issue)

Edited by Drugwash, 25 June 2014 - 06:45 AM.

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
Unfortunately you can't just add NT Functionality without risking 9X Functionality. Many NT API Functions are different in ways that are not compatable. I have even seen Calling conventions changed such as FASTCALL to STDCALL.

This makes it virtually impossible to fully support both.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN