XP Mode internet access extremely slow

doveman

I'm using XP Mode with the NIC in bridged mode. If I try and download Avira Antivir, it goes at about 30-50KB/s in the VM, but if I download the same file in the Windows 7 host it goes at 1.98MB/s.

I'm downloading to a shared folder on the Host (D:\Downloads) which is mapped to E: in the VM, although that's not the problem as it takes ages to even start downloading and goes just as slow if I save it to the VM C: partition.

On the Host NIC I've set TCP and UDP checksum offloading to disabled, as advised elsewhere to fix problems with shared folders. There's an additional "IPv4 Checksum Offload" setting which I've left on "Rx and Tx Enabled"

Not sure about XP-Mode on Win-7 - BUT...

Using VPC2007 on an XP/2K3 Host and NOT using Bridge (it allows for giving a SEPARATE IP directly to the Host NIC) AND installing VPC Add-On (not sure if there's something like that for Win7 XP-Mode) AND Directly Sharing the Folders (NOT via "Shared Folders") it runs just fine! Notice that "Shared Folders" is DEFINITELY slower (goes through an interface) as is Bridges (goes through an interface).

I stopped using Bridges and "Shared Folders" a loooong time ago...

I was using Bridged as that's always worked best for me in Virtualbox and VMware but I've switched it back to NAT (the default) now and it's running at normal speed, however it's made my mapped drives disappear and if I look under Windows Network there's nothing there.

If I type \\tsclient it just shows my shared Virtual Drive V: (which is shared by Virtual PC's Integration Features) but I need to be able to map two folders from the host D:\Data\Main and D:\Downloads to the VM's D: and E:

I think I was Directly Sharing the folders before as I'd just set them to Shared in Windows 7, not using Virtual PC, but as I say they're not accessible now I've switched from bridged to NAT, so do you know how I can fix this?

On another point, the Undo Disks seem to get ridiculously large, like 300MB every time I boot. I'm pretty sure XP doesn't write 300MB on every boot!

It also seems to take far too long to start the VM, about 60 seconds showing "Starting the Virtual Machine" before changing to "Starting Integration Features" which takes about 6 seconds after which I see XP go through the logon sequence. From Hibernation it's only about 14 seconds but in comparison Virtualbox only takes about 30 seconds to cold boot to the start of the XP logon sequence and VMWare Player about 23 seconds.

Turn off Hibernation in the Guest - you're not using a REAL HDD and it WILL be slower in some cases (you are going through an interface/API).

Do NOT use NAT... point to your REAL Network Card (may/may not work, depending on whether your Modem will allow assigning another IP - a router in between won't cause that problem). I have a Router so it works fine... (no interface/API involved)

Directly Share your Folders according to Win7->XP-Win7 File/Folder Sharing (there will be how-to's her on MSFN). Map your Drives that way or just use the "Network Neighborhood" as usual - that's the way I do it and it is FAST! "Shared Folders (AGAIN!) is going through an Interface/API... Direct Allocation (or NAT, if you must) does NOT. Notice that NAT uses "192.168.1.x" which MAY conflict with a Router (that may use the same IP set).

I'm not using "Hibernation in the Guest", I'm using the Virtual PC "Close" button which is set to Hibernate. I don't know if that can be disabled but if I did I'd have to cold boot everytime which takes 60+ seconds, rather than 14 seconds to resume from standby, so I don't know why you're suggesting that I don't use Hibernate.

I had it pointing to my REAL network card when I had the problems, which as far as I can tell puts it in Bridge Mode. It's only since changing it to NAT mode that Internet access has started working at normal speeds.

I am Directly Sharing my folders as I said and they were accessible and mapped when I was pointing to my REAL network card (but then Internet access didn't work properly). I haven't changed the folder sharing but since changing to NAT the shared folders are no longer visible to be mapped.

OK... working on these problems...

On another point, the Undo Disks seem to get ridiculously large, like 300MB every time I boot. I'm pretty sure XP doesn't write 300MB on every boot!
That would probably be (at minimum) the Page File. I suggest (and I don't use it) Disabling "Undo Disks" in the VPC "Settings".
I'm not using "Hibernation in the Guest", I'm using the Virtual PC "Close" button which is set to Hibernate. I don't know if that can be disabled but if I did I'd have to cold boot everytime which takes 60+ seconds, rather than 14 seconds to resume from standby...
I don't see that in my VPC2007, however I'm running on a single-core non-Win7 (host) so maybe that's why doesn't appear that way to me. I DO see in the "Close" box of VPC (NOT the Guest OS "Shutdown") "Save State" (I have never used it). This MIGHT be the equivalent of "hibernate". :unsure:
I had it pointing to my REAL network card when I had the problems, which as far as I can tell puts it in Bridge Mode. It's only since changing it to NAT mode that Internet access has started working at normal speeds.
No, it does not put it in Bridge Mode, AFAIK (a/l on MS' VPC2K7). You have to LITERALLY install a MAC Bridge Miniport driver for Bridges on the Host (AFAIK). I had ONCE used that in combination with a Loopback Adapter and had gotten Local Accesses but I really can't remember how (yet...).
...not using Virtual PC...

...Virtualbox...

So... we're using different VM Software. Still, the concept is the same (apparently). Is this true? Please let me know WHICH you are using so we'll be on the same page... because you said
shared Virtual Drive V: (which is shared by Virtual PC's Integration Features)
In MS' VirtualPC when you "share" a folder in "Shared Folders" you are able to share a Folder and set a specific Drive Letter (basically, the facility "maps" a drive letter) and set any given one to "Share Every Time". This would "temporarily" get you around the "Direct Share" (on the Host) but won't allow access to the Guest "All Users Shared Folder" from the Host. You would have to use the VPC "Shared Folder" as a go-between.

Still working on the Direct Share issue. I am assuming you are NOT using a Router? ISP DSL/Cable Modems have a tendency to allow only ONE PC-Side (the NIC side) IP address to be assigned. As I said, I use a Router and have no problems with defining the Host PC's NIC as the Guest PC's NIC and the Guest OS gets assigned an IP within the range of the Router's DHCP Server values, hence a COMMON set of IP/Subnet/DHCP/DNS assignments (the Guest OS gets one DNS server value from the Internal Router and the other from the external ISP).

Will get back with you after experimentation. In the meanwhile, just use the Local "Shared Folders" facility of VPC -or whatever- (as I described above).

Note - Loopback Adapters "default" to 10Mbs and is unchangeable.

edit - found this info on NAT

NAT does not allow Host-Guest communication <snip>You can get details of VPC's networking options in the help.
Edited by submix8c

That would probably be (at minimum) the Page File. I suggest (and I don't use it) Disabling "Undo Disks" in the VPC "Settings".

Good point, I didn't consider that. I will disable Undo Disks when I've finished the initial setting up.

I don't see that in my VPC2007, however I'm running on a single-core non-Win7 (host) so maybe that's why doesn't appear that way to me. I DO see in the "Close" box of VPC (NOT the Guest OS "Shutdown") "Save State" (I have never used it). This MIGHT be the equivalent of "hibernate". :unsure:

I think so. I don't know if Virtual PC is using a Hibernate/Save State file inside the VM or externally though.

No, it does not put it in Bridge Mode, AFAIK (a/l on MS' VPC2K7). You have to LITERALLY install a MAC Bridge Miniport driver for Bridges on the Host (AFAIK). I had ONCE used that in combination with a Loopback Adapter and had gotten Local Accesses but I really can't remember how (yet...).

That doesn't SEEM to be how it works here. Virtualbox and VMWare Player have the following adapters attached to my NIC card "VMWare Bridge Protocol" "Virtualbox Bridged Networking Driver" and they facilitate Bridged mode. VirtualPC has "Virtual PC Network Filter Driver" so I imagine that does the same.

So... we're using different VM Software. Still, the concept is the same (apparently). Is this true? Please let me know WHICH you are using so we'll be on the same page... because you said "shared Virtual Drive V: (which is shared by Virtual PC's Integration Features)"

I'm testing all three, but my questions here are about Virtual PC.

In MS' VirtualPC when you "share" a folder in "Shared Folders" you are able to share a Folder and set a specific Drive Letter (basically, the facility "maps" a drive letter) and set any given one to "Share Every Time". This would "temporarily" get you around the "Direct Share" (on the Host) but won't allow access to the Guest "All Users Shared Folder" from the Host. You would have to use the VPC "Shared Folder" as a go-between.

In Virtual PC, under Integration Features it only appears to allow me to share an entire partition and doesn't allow for setting a Drive Letter to map it to in the VM, hence why I resorted to sharing them in the Host and mapping them manually in the VM. However, now I've swtiched the Networking Mode, from whatever it was when pointed directly at the card, to NAT (the only other options are Internal Network and Not Connected), the shared folders are no longer accessible in the VM. The VM has an ip of 192.168.131.65 whilst the Host is 192.168.1.62 so that would explain why, but I don't know of a way to change the VM to use the same range as the Host whilst in NAT mode.

Still working on the Direct Share issue. I am assuming you are NOT using a Router? ISP DSL/Cable Modems have a tendency to allow only ONE PC-Side (the NIC side) IP address to be assigned. As I said, I use a Router and have no problems with defining the Host PC's NIC as the Guest PC's NIC and the Guest OS gets assigned an IP within the range of the Router's DHCP Server values, hence a COMMON set of IP/Subnet/DHCP/DNS assignments (the Guest OS gets one DNS server value from the Internal Router and the other from the external ISP).

Will get back with you after experimentation. In the meanwhile, just use the Local "Shared Folders" facility of VPC -or whatever- (as I described above).

Note - Loopback Adapters "default" to 10Mbs and is unchangeable.

edit - found this info on NAT "NAT does not allow Host-Guest communication <snip>You can get details of VPC's networking options in the help."

Yes I use a Router (does anyone not these days?) which has three PCs connected to it, which either use Static or Dynamic IP addresses on the 192.168.1.x range. When I set VirtualPC's Networking Mode to point directly at the real NIC, it did use an IP address in that range, hence why Windows Networking/Shared Folders was working but then the Internet speed was appalling. As I say, I can't use Virtual PC's Integration Features/Shared Folders as it only allows me to share an entire partition, which I don't want to do.

As I mentioned, I use Bridged mode in Virtualbox and VMware which works fine in terms of Internet speed and also allow me to access the Shared Folders (shared using Windows 7). They both also allow me to specify individuals folders to be accessible in the VM and VMWare Player has a tickbox "Map as a network drive in Windows Guests" but doesn't allow for specifying which drive it should be mapped as. From what you've said, it seems your version of VirtualPC also allows sharing individual folders as well as specifying which drive they should be mapped to in the VM, but this doesn't appear to be possible with the version of VirtualPC I have.

I've just tested Internet access again in (what appears to be) Bridged mode (pointing directly to the real NIC) and it seems to be working at normal speeds now and I have access to Windows 7 shared folders in the VM in that mode as well. It would be better if I could share them directly with VirtualPC as you suggest, but unfortunately that doesn't seem possible with the current version of VirtualPC.

Good! Glad you got it (more or less) resolved. This is the method I use (and using VPC's "Shared Folders" also works).

I also now see why we aren't quite speaking "the same language"....

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/features/compare.aspx

I've been using Virtual PC 2007 - You have been using Windows Virtual PC. Similar but not necessarily the same. The terminology and functionality is different.

BTW, something interesting... Open a "<anyname>.VMC" with Notepad/Notepad++. Be amazed but BEWARE fiddling with it.

Thanks. Yeah, seems to be OK now.

I'll investigate to see if there's a way to use VPC to share individual folders rather than entire partitions as that might perform better though. Can't imagine why they thought it a good idea to remove that feature from Windows Virtual PC though, especially considering both the main alternatives offer it.

OK... an FYI on XP Mode and Shared Drives

Copying a File or Folder / Sharing / Mapping

And looking more closely, you are using XP Mode (and the NEWER "Windows Virtual PC") which has some unique features, as opposed to simply a Guest installed on a Virtual PC. Apparently, you can literally install an XP-supported software in XP Mode and run it from Windows 7 (actually runs within the XP). As far as I can tell...

Also Where Hard Drives Appear in XP Mode.

So... looking at Link#1 you should be able to (theoretically) map a Drive to a Shared Folder. Notice that Shared Folders appear in Network Neighborhood. If the XP and Win7 "see" each other and appropriate Permissions and UserID/Passwords are used, you should be able to Map to it. I believe that this is the way the "older" VPC2k4/2k7 works - share a folder, by default a drive is mapped to it - just a more straight-forward interface... VPC for Dummies - like me (except I like the Shares method better).

HTH

Note to anyone reading this. I may have to edit/correct whenever I get around to testing all of this on my other PC.

Thanks but link#1 just describes how to share a folder in the XP guest/VM and then map it to a drive in Windows 7. Any folders I share using Windows 7 do appear in the XP guest under Network Neighbourhood (providing I'm using Bridged mode, not NAT) and I can map them to drives from Explorer's Tools menu.

Link #2 is a bit misleading, as the Host's partitions only appear in the XP guest if they're ticked under Integration Features in the Virtual PC settings for the guest. I'm not sure what C: appears as in the Guest if it's ticked, because obviously the XP guest already has a C:. I've only got my (virtual) DVD drive V: ticked currently, as I don't want to share the entire partitions of my Host's hard drive and that does appear as V: in the guest. I've noticed that My Documents in the XP guest is automatically redirected to the Host's My Documents folder though, without the user needing to do anything.

From what it says there "Your physical machine's hard drives are already mapped, which is different from how Virtual PC 2007 works. Because the drives are already mapped, there isn't an option to create Shared Folders like Virtual PC 2007 requires you to do." it seems unlikely I'm going to be able to share individual folders with Windows Virtual PC, which is a shame. As I said, I can still do so by sharing them with Windows 7, but I get the impression there are some performance problems doing it this way that aren't present when sharing folders with Virtual PC (2007).

Edited by doveman

Ahem... re - Link#1 -

1. Go to the Settings for your XP Mode Virtual Machine.

2. Change the network adapter binding from NAT to the physical network adapter of your Windows 7 machine.

3. Create a share for the My Documents folder on the XP Virtual Machine.

4. On the Windows 7 machine, map a drive to the share on the XP Virtual Machine.

Now me (reversing Machines)...
3. Create a share for ANY folder on the Windows 7 machine.

4. On the XP Virtual Machine, map a drive to the share on the the Windows 7 machine.

You already have Shares defined, just Map them.
I've noticed that My Documents in the XP guest is automatically redirected to the Host's My Documents folder though, without the user needing to do anything.
I 'kind of" said that, didn't I???
the Host's partitions only appear in the XP guest if they're ticked under Integration Features in the Virtual PC settings for the guest.
Yep... and that's from Link#1 -
Windows Virtual PC by defaults shares all drive of the Windows 7 to the Virtual machine. Please make sure that you have the integration features enabled. Then go to My Computer inside the VM and you will see your Windows 7 drives.
Sadly, this appears to be the "Direct Shared Folders" feature formerly in VPC2K7 but also somehow allows for the "integration" of what I had found of (supposedly) being able to install a Software in VPC and it is also "seen" in Win7 - you "Run" it on Win7 and it "Executes" in the XP-Mode Machine. What the effect would be of the "C-drive" I'm not sure. One would a$$-u-me that it would appear separately in "My Computer" (not sure how).
I get the impression there are some performance problems doing it this way that aren't present when sharing folders with Virtual PC (2007)
How would it be that bad? What gave you that impression?

Granted, it is slower (based on Router/NIC speed vs Shared Direct via VPC2K7 "Shared folders"). BUT... I see no noticable difference.

1 - Host uses Real NIC

1a - Router assigns IP-1 for MAC-1

2 - Set Guest to use the Real NIC

2a - Router assigns IP-2 for MAC-2 (the Interface)

3 - Data Transfer from-to is via the Real NIC

3a - IP-1 is the Real one, IP-2 is the Interface - look in your Router they should both be there

3b - The only slow-down is the speed of the NIC and Router (100mbs? <- mBits/s)

Mine - Router - 192.168.8.18 newxp 00-03-FF-1B-E4-5A (in VM, it shows exactly the same)

I am TOTALLY unsure if VPC2K7 runs on Win7 (probably does - 32-bit only) however the "XP-Mode VPC" is set up to be activated ONLY on Win7 "Windows VPC" (afaik) - I already check that out by setting up a VPC2K7 VM and used the VHD (required activation). I am believing that the Key is only good for Win7 "XP-Mode". :unsure:

Edited by submix8c

Ahem... re - Link#1 -

1. Go to the Settings for your XP Mode Virtual Machine.

2. Change the network adapter binding from NAT to the physical network adapter of your Windows 7 machine.

3. Create a share for the My Documents folder on the XP Virtual Machine.

4. On the Windows 7 machine, map a drive to the share on the XP Virtual Machine.

Now me (reversing Machines)...
3. Create a share for ANY folder on the Windows 7 machine.

4. On the XP Virtual Machine, map a drive to the share on the the Windows 7 machine.

You already have Shares defined, just Map them.

Yeah, that's what I've already been doing, which I think is obvious from my previous posts (even the first one).

Not that I can see.

Yep... and that's from Link#1 -
Windows Virtual PC by defaults shares all drive of the Windows 7 to the Virtual machine. Please make sure that you have the integration features enabled. Then go to My Computer inside the VM and you will see your Windows 7 drives.

Not really. Ticking the box to enable Integration Features doesn't share the drives. They have to also be ticked for that to happen.

Sadly, this appears to be the "Direct Shared Folders" feature formerly in VPC2K7 but also somehow allows for the "integration" of what I had found of (supposedly) being able to install a Software in VPC and it is also "seen" in Win7 - you "Run" it on Win7 and it "Executes" in the XP-Mode Machine..

I think they're separate issues. Installing an app in the XP Mode VM (as All Users) makes it appear in the Win7 Host's Start Menu (under the Virtual PC folder) but the app is installed on the Guest's HDD C: partition and doesn't depend on any of the Host's partitions being shared in the guest, so I can't see any good reason why they removed the ability to share individual folders.

How would it be that bad? What gave you that impression?

Granted, it is slower (based on Router/NIC speed vs Shared Direct via VPC2K7 "Shared folders"). BUT... I see no noticable difference.

1 - Host uses Real NIC

1a - Router assigns IP-1 for MAC-1

2 - Set Guest to use the Real NIC

2a - Router assigns IP-2 for MAC-2 (the Interface)

3 - Data Transfer from-to is via the Real NIC

3a - IP-1 is the Real one, IP-2 is the Interface - look in your Router they should both be there

3b - The only slow-down is the speed of the NIC and Router (100mbs? <- mBits/s)

Mine - Router - 192.168.8.18 newxp 00-03-FF-1B-E4-5A (in VM, it shows exactly the same)

I've read posts elsewhere stating that folders shared natively in Windows 7 were much slower to access in the guest than folders shared by Virtual PC. In fact you said in post #2 "Directly Sharing the Folders (NOT via "Shared Folders") it runs just fine! Notice that "Shared Folders" is DEFINITELY slower (goes through an interface)"!

Thanks but link#1 just describes how to share a folder in the XP guest/VM and then map it to a drive in Windows 7.
Ahem... re - Link#1<snip>
Huh???? (see below comments THAT SAYS LOOK BACK HERE!)
I've read posts elsewhere stating that folders shared natively in Windows 7 were much slower to access in the guest than folders shared by Virtual PC. In fact you said in post #2 "Directly Sharing the Folders (NOT via "Shared Folders") it runs just fine! Notice that "Shared Folders" is DEFINITELY slower (goes through an interface)"!
(Sigh...) Confused by terminology? I said (to clarify... UNDERSTAND this, please...) -

"Shared Folders" = Sharing via VPC2007's Settings "Shared Folders" (when Guest is running AND you Share a Drive/FOLDER, which in turn AUTOMAGICALLY assigns a Drive UNLESS you FORCE it to a free one)

"Direct Sharing" = via the NIC and within BOTH Host and Guest AS NORMALLY SET UP IF ON PHYSICALLY DIFFERENT PC'S

I ALSO said

BUT... I see no noticable difference.
...and I tried it BOTH WAYS (VPC2K7)! So, you really have no problem EXCEPT...

You claim

I've read posts elsewhere stating that folders shared natively in Windows 7 were much slower to access in the guest than folders shared by Virtual PC.
Now... WHERE? WHAT POSTS? On MSFN? Or some other forum/site/blog? Have you personally used Virtual PC (2004/2007) or just the NEWEST "Windows Virtual PC" (where "Shared Folders does NOT exist anyway, correct?)? So, the assertion isn't even VALID for Windows Virtual PC. Give me something (a link to the claim) that makes it believable, please. I/we would love to hear from you on that vague assertion so it can be proven/disproven. We take "I heard such-and-such" with a grain of salt here without something to back it up.

(note - have found vague references on stackoverflow and vmware communites - naturally!)

Three Modes of XP-Mode.

Not that I can see.
Yes, I did (reread the original posts).

Now, you said (SEE FIRST QUOTES THIS POST - ABOVE)

Yeah, that's what I've already been doing, which I think is obvious from my previous posts (even the first one).
First post -
I'm using XP Mode with the NIC in bridged mode.
Post#8
I've just tested Internet access again in (what appears to be) Bridged mode (pointing directly to the real NIC)<snip>
How odd that it now works! BTW, I only suggested "Shared Folders" because that's what you wanted.

Searching for a USEFUL Guide on Windows Virtual PC...

Here is Networking from TechNet (calls it "Bridge"). The Reference appears to be one-for-one with VPC2K7 (which doesn't indicate a Bridge). Notice that there is NO "Filter" installed for VPC2K7 (AFAIK) and there is INDEED a SEPARATE "MAC Bridge Miniport Driver" by which Multiple NIC's can be Bridged (unused by VPC). Another valid reference - Performance notation -

Shared networking (NAT)<snip>performance is not as fast as the performance offered by bridged mode.

WOOPEE!!! SHARED FOLDER!!! On a final note -

If you don't have it sussed with all of the info/links I dug up (and I'm not even using it!), well...