Windows 2000 on a Acer Aspire One AO532h

The Hal was selected manually because the Windows 2000 setup selects automatically "ACPI uniprocessor" and simply freezes.

"ACPI uniprocessor" default kernel or hal halaacpi.dll seems to fail.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237556/en-us

Which halaacpi.dll version do you use? Does exist a newer version?

Which BIOS version do you use?

halmacpi.dll is the ACPI Multiprocessor PC. And multi kernel ntkrnlmp.exe.

Extract files to system32 first, edit boot.ini next.

However I doubt booting, given "ACPI uniprocessor" fails.

The IDE mode isn't really a big deal.
Yes, keep IDE mode.
My CPU is an Intel Atom N450
It's single core by design, with hyper thread.

Uniprocessor is nice overall.

What about SpeedStep driver at a netbook?

"ACPI uniprocessor" default kernel or hal halaacpi.dll seems to fail.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237556/en-us

Which halaacpi.dll version do you use? Does exist a newer version?

Which BIOS version do you use?

I made a mistake. I said "ACPI Uniprocessor" instead of "ACPI Multiprocessor" but selecting both ACPI the Windows 2000 setup fails to start.

The version of the hal.dll is 5.0.2195.6691

Now I have installed Windows 2000 SP4 Italian OEM + Update Rollup 1 + all security updates until July 2010.

Despite of being OEM, it's integral.

The Bios is "Insyde H2O" version 1.26 (updated from previous 1.21)

halmacpi.dll is the ACPI Multiprocessor PC. And multi kernel ntkrnlmp.exe.

Extract files to system32 first, edit boot.ini next.

However I doubt booting, given "ACPI uniprocessor" fails.

I can try to boot the others ACPI.

I don't know if installing Windows 2000 on a recent Pentium with dual core can start from this netbook with the Multiprocessor thing. But, if I'll have the opportunity, I'll try to do this.

What about SpeedStep driver at a netbook?

Where I can found the SpeedStep driver?

Edited by Agorima

Probably I'll go back to XP until someone will get the solution about the multi core on a Atom processor. The diode of the processor go to about 95° C against the more normal 87° C when using Windows XP in dual core.

The ambiental temperature is about 32° C and, when the diode reached the 87° C, there were about 38-40° C at the beginning of August.

The single core suffers as hell.

Edited by Agorima

You should probably apply this fix to fix the temperature problem. The fix is included in USP5.1 so you don't need to use it in an English Windows but it's still viable for other language versions.

As you're using an ITA version of Windows now most of the unofficial updates are not for you (unless you want to forcibly install English updates...) but I'd recommend installing at least UURollup (Global) which is multilanguage. Together with it you can also install BlackWingCat's ITA packages (there are updated HAL files there too!).

By the way, it's very interesting that you've managed to make work the Atheros card. Which drivers did you use?

Edit: I've found some more info on different HALs: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237556.

Edited by tomasz86

You should probably apply this fix to fix the temperature problem. The fix is included in USP5.1 so you don't need to use it in an English Windows but it's still viable for other language versions.

Thanks. Now the temperatures of the processor and the diode are normal :)

Before applying the patch

Processor: 28°C

Diode: 95° C

After applying the patch

Processor: 47°C

Diode: 80° C at this moment.

As you're using an ITA version of Windows now most of the unofficial updates are not for you (unless you want to forcibly install English updates...) but I'd recommend installing at least UURollup (Global) which is multilanguage. Together with it you can also install BlackWingCat's ITA packages (there are updated HAL files there too!).

This is my choice :) but I didn't knew Blackwingcat updated the HAL files. Maybe with those HAL I can use "ACPI Multiprocessor"

Among his articles, I have seen an Intel Atom Z520 (HT) working with Windows 2000.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/08995.html

Did he used "ACPI Multiprocessor"? If yes, then it's possible.

Edit: I have installed the unofficial updates in this way

UURollup (Global)

Windows2000-KB935839-v10b-x86-ITA.EXE

Windows2000-KB979683-v8-x86-ITA.exe

And the system still boots up, but slower than before.

In the System Properties the words "Service Pack" disappeared. It remains only the number 4.

http://i50.tinypic.com/1zdr7s7.jpg

Maybe (but I'm not sure) I must remove these updates from the latest which I've installed, and install the UURollup (English).

By the way, it's very interesting that you've managed to make work the Atheros card. Which drivers did you use?

I used the drivers provided by Acer

http://www.acer.it/ac/it/IT/content/drivers

Go to Netbook > Aspire One > AO532H

Then select "Windows XP Home Edition" and download the Atheros Wireless driver and the Atheros Lan Card

Wireless

After installing wireless driver you must install the Atheros Client Utility (not included into the driver, as far as i know)

If after configuring the wireless network with the program you can go only to 192.168.1.1 follow the procedure of the KB318584

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318584

And then you can surf the net :)

When booting the netbook the wireless card connects automatically, like in XP :)

LAN

If after installing the Lan driver you can go only to 192.168.1.1 follow the same procedure.

Edit: I've found some more info on different HALs: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237556.

Do you mean the restore thing?

Edited by Agorima

I removed these updates

UURollup (Global)

Windows2000-KB935839-v10b-x86-ITA.EXE

Windows2000-KB979683-v8-x86-ITA.exe

And I have installed the English version of the UURollup. Now I'm writing from Firefox 14.

I know that the unofficial updates aren't tested, unlike the official ones, but I think that the UURollup must be a little more optimized for performance, with less consumption of the processor.

But it's only my suggestion.

Now I am trying to solve the problem about the ACPI.

I have tried to boot the system with ACPI Uniprocessor

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (ACPI Uniprocessor)" /fastdetect /hal=halaacpi.dll /kernel=ntoskrnl.exe

But it failed.

Maybe the system cannot use others hal and kernel than the default ones (Hal.dll, ntkrnlpa.exe, ntoskrnl.exe). Therefore, a way to boot the system can be to rename the files

Halaacpi.dll (or halmacpi.dll) to hal.dll

Ntkrnlmp.exe to ntoskrnl.exe

ntkrpamp.exe (in case of using ACPI Multiprocessor) to ntkrnlpa.exe

Intel SpeedStep Technology Applet for Windows 2000

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS013982

May work or fail at newer hardware of course.

I don't know if worked or failed, but i have seen the computer a bit slower when I have installed the Intel Speedstep, then I have uninstalled it. The combination of the power management is Portable/Laptop.

Edited by Agorima

I have installed the Intel Speedstep, then I have uninstalled it. The combination of the power management is Portable/Laptop.

What about CPU speed/temperature with and without Speedstep at idle load?

I have returned to XP because the system was again compromised when I used this procedure.

Rename the files

Halaacpi.dll (or halmacpi.dll) to hal.dll

Ntkrnlmp.exe to ntoskrnl.exe

ntkrpamp.exe (in case of using ACPI Multiprocessor) to ntkrnlpa.exe

I'll talk about the problematic hyperthreading on my Intel Atom on a totally separate thread, which will be only CPU-related.

• 3 months later...

I have tried to boot with SATA mode enabled, and Windows 2000 worked fine with the Intel Chipset Drivers provided by Acer, which are almost identical to unofficial blackwingcat's drivers.

But after loading the system, it asked for the drivers of the controller, and I didn't have the Chipsets drivers handy, so I used the "Intel SATA AHCI Drivers" provided by Acer, which they are for XP.

The system failed to boot with the first error mentioned on my first post, so I have loaded it with the Last Known Good Configuration.

After another reboot, the system showed the "c:\winnt\system32\config\system is missing or corrupted" message.

Fortunately, I have Windows XP on D: so I could repair the system, although I must do again all the procedure. But for now I want only to rest my mind.

I spent so many time in this project and I am tired. The last day was very intensive for my mind.

Although the network adapters and the webcam aren't a big deal, the lack for the audio drivers and the hyper-threading is.

The official Realtek's drivers didn't work. Maybe the problem is inside the chipset's drivers.

P.S. The "ACPI Uniprocessor" of the original system works on the system repaired :)

The N450 is a Single core with HT, not a dual core. So it's not a real problem.

• 3 months later...

I've done some research. It has to do with your InsydeH20 BIOS.

This BIOS expects Intel SpeedStep driver loaded with the CPU driver for dual core or HT support. Win2K doesn't have Speedstep built in. Try and install a speedstep driver and then see if you can enable both cores.

• 1 month later...

I've done some research. It has to do with your InsydeH20 BIOS.

This BIOS expects Intel SpeedStep driver loaded with the CPU driver for dual core or HT support. Win2K doesn't have Speedstep built in. Try and install a speedstep driver and then see if you can enable both cores.

I'm still using this netbook.

Is it possible to integrate the Speedstep drivers with nLite?

Edited by Agorima