WD5000AAKX-001CAO Caviar Blue

Hello,

i bought 2 months ago a new harddrive Western Digital caviar blue sata.

MDL: WD5000AAKX-001CAO

Firmware: 15.01H15

S/n: WMAYUA552892

WWN: 50014EE05865EFA6

DATE: January 2, 2012

DCM: DGNNHV2CE

DCX: 50091ARC2

Product of Malaysia

I used this hdd only few times just for backup

When i turn on the computer, the operating system (installed on my main seagate hard drive) hangs with black screen and it doesn't load.

But if i disconnect the WD the S.O. is loaded normally, then I tried using mhdd in dos, and all areas of WD are read very very very slowly (anywhere on surface disc).

The read rate is about 100 sectors per second!

I'm so unlucky!!! :(

I don't think platters are damaged, because a day worked perfectly, and the next day all sectors are delay, perhaps are the heads?

Heads are not clicking or nocking, disk noises are all normal.

With idriverepair I did analyse the firmware remotely and has not been detected any problem.

I know it's under warranty, but correct me if I'm wrong, the data are not covered under warranty right?

I'm desperate and very sad for all lost data, help me please!!

:( :(

P.S.

I also checked the drive with official WD tool Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS

The response was ERROR/STATUS CODE: 007, which means Self Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) error

Please help me to get back my data of this WD

:(

Edited by michael chiklis

Your same post here (just so everyone else knows)...

http://forum.hddguru.com/wd5000aakx-001cao-caviar-blue-slow-sectors-issue-t23312.html

edit - and found this

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=42603

Firstly I did a quick test and got this error...

TEST COMPLETED WITH READ ELEMENT FAILURE

ERROR/STATUS CODE: 007

I typed the code into WD support and got this...

0001 - 0008, 0015 SMART Error Self Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) Error returned during SMART Status/Self Test Command. The drive is defective. Replace Drive

It then went on to run a full media scan and returned the same 0225 error as last time.

You do realize that that SATA comes in 3 flavors? SATA-I, SATA-II, and SATA-III - yours is SATA-III.
WD5000AAKX, SATA 6 Gb/s
More info.
HDD is OK, but you can only use it on newer MB with SATA II controllers and of course, SATA 3.
So.... if you hooked it up to a SATA-I controller, it's no wonder! Apparently, the Specs say that a Jumper has to be used to set it to SATA-II, but nothing about SATA-I.

...and you didn't say what the MotherBoard/PC is.

edit - DANG IT - the Jumper settings. Specs and Jumpers.

Edited by submix8c

I know it's under warranty, but correct me if I'm wrong, the data are not covered under warranty right?

:( :(

UNfortunately :( you are correct : the Warranty (where applicable) only refers to a replacement of the defective disk drive (though there have been exceptions made for "largely failing" disks/series)..

The response was ERROR/STATUS CODE: 007, which means Self Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) error

Please help me to get back my data of this WD

:(

I don't hink there is anything that can be done DIY to "repair" that disk, but is it only (very) slow?

I mean, does it have read errors or - though over a long period of time - data read from it is OK? :unsure:

If the latter it should be just a matter of "keeping it cool" and have patience while imaging to a new disk.

jaclaz

Hello submix and jaklaz, thank you for your answers.

This hdd is hooked up to this SATA to IDE adapter:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/130556839661?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

because my motherboard has not sata connection, only IDE

The motherboard is a ASUS A7N8X-X with 1 GB of ram and AMD Sempron 2800+ processor

P.S.

I have other 2 WD5000AAKX caviar blue sata which i have hoocked to the same adapter, but i never had trouble with those.

The firmware version of this 2 hdd is 19.01H19, the faulty one has version 15.01H15

I neever used jumpers for all of them!

Edited by michael chiklis

In English - no specifications, no instructions.

Another forum thread on your HDD (same Firmware). A number of "search hits" on this HDD/Firmware having problems. I see no Firmware for your HDD on WD's website.

Take the suggestions given (see link and jaclaz's comment) to back up whatever you can and RMA it. I'm not sure if using the jumpers would help or not (along with the Adapter in question).

BTW, jaclaz is the resident expert on data recovery...

HTH and good luck.

• 10 years later...

The read rate is about 100 sectors per second!

I'm so unlucky!!! 

I don't think platters are damaged, because a day worked perfectly, and the next day all sectors are delay, perhaps are the heads?

Heads are not clicking or nocking, disk noises are all normal.

With idriverepair I did analyse the firmware remotely and has not been detected any problem.