Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KB2660649

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

iamtheky

iamtheky

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Joined 11-November 08
I have (2) server 2008 R2 systems, they are from the same baseline and generally receive the same patches.

I am installing KB2660649 manually, it applied to the first, but i received "not applicable to your computer" on the second. Any likely culprits for this behavior?
iamtheKy

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,253 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01
I'd bet this has something to do with it - from the KB article, in the fine print for Windows Server 2008 R2:

This update is only applicable for Windows Server 2008 R2 systems when the Ink Support component of the optional Ink and Handwriting Services feature has been installed and enabled. See the update FAQ for details.

Unless you have people using 2008 R2 servers with pen input (or touch) capabilities, you don't really need the Ink and Handwriting Services feature enabled at all, for what it's worth.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,161 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

extract the MSU and use DISM to add the CAB (/online /Add-Package).
Posted Image

iamtheky

iamtheky

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Joined 11-November 08
Thanks, having you both answer is a rare gift. I will confirm/deny the component discrepancy between the machines, and if needed add the cab with DISM.

update: The Ink component was indeed the difference, that box serves handheld computers which have touch input. But i will certainly explore whether it is needed because with our app the pen input is only used for selection of controls (like a simulated left click). Thank you again.

Edited by iamtheky, 03 July 2012 - 04:25 PM.

iamtheKy

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,161 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

WUSA checkes if a feature is enabled. With DISM it only checks that the feature is present (even if not activated the update installs). Next time you aktiivate the Ink componnent Windows will use the updated files so you avoid the installation of the update.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users