Microsoft Fix It Center problem

Sophy

I used Microsoft Fix It Solution Center a couple of days ago and it worked. I also have the Microsoft Fix It Center Online on my computer because I had used it ages ago for something. Now neither option will work.

When I go to the Solution Center, after clicking on any one of the problem areas a "null" shows up in orange right after "What are you trying to do?". See screenshot.

When I go down and fill in the "Filter Solutions" box, it shows a connection problem. See screenshot.

When I try to install from my desktop I get an error box. See screenshot.

The only thing I did prior to this happening was: I installed WeatherBug desktop and during installation it said the installer needed .NET Framework 4 so I gave permission for this to be installed. After that WeatherBug installed with no problem. But now I can't run the Fix It so is this .NET Framework 4 the problem, or what? I'd appreciate your help.

Well before you jump to conclusions... When was the last time you ran Fix It Center? Was it immediately before installing Weatherbug? I find it doubtful that absolutely nothing was done between the "days ago" and now besides just that.

Do you see anything in the Application Log in Event Viewer relating to Fix It Center during installation?

I have given you all the information as truthfully as possible. What would be my point in lying to you?

That Event Viewer is like so much Greek to me. There are a few "PerfLib" errors, some ASP.NET 4.0 errors.

There are a couple of MsInstaller errors and it says. See screenshot.

Edited by Sophy

Thank you for your direction. I did run the FixIt "fix" you sent the link for. Then tried to install FixIt again and got the same error window as always. There is no error code given, but it always says there's an unexpected error and to close the setup and try it later.

I used it once quite awhile ago to fix a printer problem and it worked great for that. The funny part is, I still have that in a folder on my desktop (MicrosoftFixIt.Printing.Run) and I can run that. So don't know why I can't now install the application.

Hello,

I once had a similar problem. Fix It would not run for me, stating that a problem occurred and that I should try running it later.

The reason Fix It would not run is because the Windows Module Installer (or TrustedInstaller) Service was disabled... Maybe that is the case for you? I know it might be a long shot... :ph34r:

My Windows Module Installer is set on Manual so that should be ok, shouldn't it?

P.S. I went to services and started the service, then tried to run FixIt. Still wouldn't run. But I do thank you for your offering of a solution.

Edited by Sophy

• 2 weeks later...

My Windows Module Installer is set on Manual so that should be ok, shouldn't it?

P.S. I went to services and started the service, then tried to run FixIt. Still wouldn't run. But I do thank you for your offering of a solution.

If the service isn't running, you should download the FixIt file from MSDN again.

Then restart your PC in safe mode (press F8 during the system start), then try to install FixIt file again.

The installation will have been passing successfully.

And restart PC in normal mode.

Thanks. I might as well give this a try. I will report back.

You know, my computer is really running great, but I went into my Event Viewer a couple days ago. I don't spend much time there because I don't understand most of it anyway. But I was reading a newsletter and was trying to check out something they were talking about. I discovered something.

When I have gone into the Event Viewer and found something I've often clicked on the bottom of the box where it says: More Information: Event log online help. This link no longer takes me to the proper page online. Instead I get a little box that tells me Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script and then it will go on to give the description -- like -- C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local|Temp...........

Each decription will be different according to whatever warning or error I click on.

There was some kind of WIA error so I went to services to check it out and got another window. I have attached this one, and a couple of the VBScript error windows.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?