Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Need Help With XP Pro Welcome Screen

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

dexterdoo

dexterdoo

• 21 posts
  • Joined 13-November 07
When I turn on the computer it stops at the Welcome screen and has one name, Administrator. I click on it (no password needed) and the computer starts normally. Then I decided I wanted to bypass the Welcome screen and instead boot right into Windows XP Pro. So I did control userpasswords2, unchecked “users must enter a username and password”, clicked the “Advanced” tab and made sure “requires user to press cntrl+alt+del” was unchecked, then went to “User Accounts” and unchecked “Use the Welcome screen” and clicked “Apply Options”.

Then when I rebooted the computer it stopped at the welcome screen again (the very thing I was trying to bypass) and asked for the Administrator password!!! When I clicked on the icon like before it kept telling me the password was wrong when there never was a password before? I don’t get it?? I didn’t need a password before so why do I need one now?? I’ve done this on many computers before and never had this happen.
Fortunately for me this was a spare computer of mine (and not someone elses) so I could reload Windows from a backup I had without having someone really p***ed at me! Where did I go wrong in this process?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

-X-

-X-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

I can't see anywhere were you went wrong if your described steps are correct.
[ Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk Posted Image ]
If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,325 posts
  • Joined 23-November 05
In my experience, with XP Pro, if you only have 1 account (the built-in administrator?) and no password, it should not even have shown the welcome screen at first.
So was it a standard XP install or from a modded cd ? Was the computer (ever) in a domain ?

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06
To my knowledge, when using the ctrl+alt+del interface instead of the welcome screen it will always ask for at least enter unless you enable autologon and sysinternals made a simple utility to help.

dexterdoo

dexterdoo

• 21 posts
  • Joined 13-November 07
Yes, the steps described are exactly what I did and have done many times. The machine was never in a domain and the install was not from a "modded" cd. I think I'll experiment with this a bit more (on a test machine, of course)! :sneaky:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users