Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Building first new PC in 10 years

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
Of course I was thinking about buying Athlon II X4 631 + FM1 board + DDR3. It would still be a lot (60-70$) cheaper than the slowest i3 2100.

PS Athlon 631 is very different from the older X4 630/640 ones. Its performance is similar to A6-3650 but without integrated graphics.

Edited by tomasz86, 13 July 2012 - 04:05 PM.

post-47483-1123010975.png
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts

Of course I was thinking about buying Athlon II X4 631 + FM1 board + DDR3.

You'll have to add a case to that list, thanks to the proprietary Dell cable for the stuff in front of the case...

PS Athlon 631 is very different from the older X4 630/640 ones. Its performance is similar to A6-3650 but without integrated graphics.

I'll have to look again.
Edit: I can't seemingly find any decent benchmarks. There's this one but that's only games. In 100% of them it's slower than the i3, and in all but one case it's slower than the X4 645, even though you said it should be faster than it... Honestly, I'd rather have 2 super fast cores (which is always fast) then twice as many cores that are half as fast (only performs on par with the dual core when the load uses all 4 cores which unfortunately isn't all that often)
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,778 posts

Donator

the "max" the AM2 will take.

Sorry, no. The max is the ADX6400IAA6CZ Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition, it's a Windsor, so 90nm, and it's hot as hell, but is probably the last great processor from AMD. Now, if you must have 65nm, then the Brisbane ADO5400IAA5DS Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Black Edition is the way to go, although not as fast as the ADX6400IAA6CZ. And all Black Editions have unlocked multipliers, so you can go beyond the specs, although not as much as you can read over the net. But 10-15% is possible while still stable. They're findable through eBay and the like, but you'll sure need a huge fan & powersink to cope with their heat, particularly the Windsor.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,183 posts
@CoffeFiend & @dencorso -

I was aware of all of that. I've done extensive research on it (several days' worth). The initial "hijack" was about the comparisons (based on comment by da-Coffee-Nut). I am, after all, running a "Celery 3.3" single-core as we speak! And I already have 3gb in the E521 already - swapped some old computer parts for two 1g's from the local PC Recyclers. ;) Need 3 more to round out this one and...

I suppose my better bet would be the "eMachine W3650 ECS 945GCT-M3 PCB3.1" sitting here in pieces. :w00t: It'll take up to E7300 or X6800. Sadly, it only takes 2gb RAM 2x1gb (according to specs). :( It does, however, have 2-PCI+4-SATAII+1-PATA+1-PCIe-x16 (and the other useless x1).

Both have Floppy (a must for me).

[/hijack]

Back to the OP (that has $ to burn)...

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,778 posts

Donator

@submix8c:
DDR2? Just two slots? In my reckoning that makes 8GiB!
Ever heard of the KVR800D2N6/4G? They're rare birds (and out-of-production, of course), but can be found with an extra effort.
On the easier side, KVR800D2N6/2G are still in production and can be bought new. Still they'd give you 4 GiB, which is not so bad.

Later edit: Kingston pulled out the spec sheet for the 4 GiB modules. Although they still provide that for the 2 GiB modules, there's no telling for how long, so both are now attached to this post, for easy reference.

Attached Files

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,183 posts
@dencorso - if that reply was directed at me...

hmmm...

It appears that this is basically an Intel D945GCL which says that it will take 2x2gb, so.... maybe that would be the "real" (unsupported) max. It's not unheard of that a given board will support more that the Manufacture/OEM claims. I'm sticking with the eMachines BIOS though (apparently had Vista pre-installed once - again, mobo and cpu in a one-side-missing box only), so we'll see (in the future).
note - one heck of a time finding specifics on PCB Rev3.1boards - mostly the Rev3.0 show up.
[/hijack]

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts
Hey all,

Just an update. I got all of the parts on Tuesday and assembled most of it then. I finally had a chance to throw in the SSD and the optical drive and installed Windows 7. This was my final build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cuhl

And I think I'm pretty with it. It's blazing fast! Definitely the most powerful machine I've ever had my hands on (apart from a server). :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN