Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

Poll: Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8 (107 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

1. Voted Yes (84 votes [78.50%])

Percentage of vote: 78.50%

2. No (23 votes [21.50%])

Percentage of vote: 21.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

daiwan

daiwan

• 13 posts
  • Joined 21-July 08

Yes it is. That show desktop button is invisible in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

It is visible in Windows 7:

Spoiler

Ah, my bad, I remembered incorrectly for Windows 7.

Now I think I'm fine with the visible show desktop button under explorer7, it doesn't have to mimic the invisible show desktop button as Windows 8.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

daiwan

daiwan

• 13 posts
  • Joined 21-July 08

Windows 8 now requires the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" Service running as it hosts the OpenGL compositer which is now required for the Windows 8 Explorer shell to run. This was not the previously the case in Windows 7 and you'd just get the 'Native Unskinned' UI, could save considerable resource by disabling the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" and "Themes" Services, avoid ssues with some applications and gamas that use OpenGL and/or DirectX, and also see substantial performance improvements with some applications and games...

I'm wondering if the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" Service can now be stopped with Tihiy's shell installed/enabled,

unlike Windows 7, there's no "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" service in services.msc in Windows 8.

if you delete C:\Windows\System32\dwm.exe
under explorer7, you can enter desktop after reboot, but black screen after logoff and logon ie you lose the ability to logoff I don't think it's a big problem though.
under explorer8, unable to enter desktop after reboot, black screen instead. it's also a black screen after switch explorer7 to explorer8. ie dwm.exe is necessary for explorer8.

gendouhydeist

gendouhydeist

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 02-January 07
is there anyway to patch it directly onto the wim?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

is there anyway to patch it directly onto the wim?

Not easy path, sorry. Easiest possible now would be - portable install, grab win7 files, then copy installed dir into mounted install.wim, then integrate desktopcontextmenu.reg from scripting zip into offline registry and save wim and re-create iso. Depending on your skill level, it could be hard. I could create easier way if you ask me how easy you want it to be.

gendouhydeist

gendouhydeist

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 02-January 07
Win Toolkit can integrate registry files, that's it? Just integrate desktopcontextmenu.reg then just put files on installation folder that's easy. Anyway have you experiencing huge slow downs when using IE10 when you installed it on non-default directory of explorer.exe? I experience it on older version where I installed it on different directory, not overwriting the windows 8 explorer.exe. Also the installer hangs when you just installed it on %WINDIR%, it's too hassle to overwrite ownership everytime.

Edited by gendouhydeist, 29 September 2012 - 02:57 PM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Anyway have you experiencing huge slow downs when using IE10 when you installed it on non-default directory of explorer.exe?

No. But maybe someone does? Beta 6 and up create fake Metro instance apps can talk to, IE could be hanging before beta 6.

Also the installer hangs when you just installed it on %WINDIR%, it's too hassle to overwrite ownership everytime.

Although it's not supported installation scenario, i will fix that, hanging is bad :>

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Btw, can you use the Vista style dialog instead of the old ones?

Attached File  Win7_Explorer_Win8_oldDialog.png   29.22KB   14 downloads
Posted Image

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08
I've just installed the new version. I also try to have Switch Shell but when I click on either choice, nothing happens.

Does it work for you, Andre?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Version 1.0
http://tihiy.net/fil...x7forW8_1.0.zip

- Installer: can create shortcuts for all users or only this user
- Tool: now properly switches shells for non-admin users
- Explorer7: fixed MFU list displaying duplicate items; fixed minor memory leak

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08
I feel like cursing sometimes! Why on earth there is always a newer version after I've just intalled a new one?

Edit: I haven't cursed anything yet! Why it doesn't allow me to choose the path this time?

Edit again: delete picture.

Edited by Aloha, 30 September 2012 - 11:17 PM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Yes, i did.

I also try to have Switch Shell but when I click on either choice, nothing happens.

You mean desktop context menu? You need to have correct paths in reg file as well as ex7forw8c.exe placed into installation directory.

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08
Tihiy,
Look at the picture I added to my last post.

Edit: Uh oh ... I have W8 on drive X:, does it mean that I have to change all C: in the .reg file to X:?
I'll try it again tomorrow and tell if it works then. Thank you for replying.

Edited by Aloha, 30 September 2012 - 11:35 AM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

I haven't cursed anything yet! Why it doesn't allow me to choose the path this time?

Because you're upgrading. Uninstall first if you want to install to another folder.

Uh oh ... I have W8 on drive X:, does it mean that I have to change all C: in the .reg file to X:?

Yes.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Yes, i did.

this is part of the Version 1.0?

I'll test it now :)

// Edit:

yes, it now uses the Vista style dialog :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Attached File  Win7_Explorer_Win8_VistaStyleDialog.png   49.9KB   110 downloads

Edited by MagicAndre1981, 30 September 2012 - 01:24 PM.

Posted Image

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08
No Tihiy, I did remove 0.9 before installing 1.0. And I ran the setup while using explorer 8. But because it's the default install directory to have "Switch shells" on the desktop so I leave it that way.

I also changed C: to X: in the registry file and "Switch shells" works fine now. Just one more thing. C: is where I have W7. Did the registry I merged last night change anything on drive C? I mean the registry that I hadn't changed its content.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

I also changed C: to X: in the registry file and "Switch shells" works fine now. Just one more thing. C: is where I have W7. Did the registry I merged last night change anything on drive C? I mean the registry that I hadn't changed its content.

No, changing registry does not change file system. :hello:

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08
Thanks. Glad to hear it doesn't.

Btw, I think many people will like this Switch shells on the desktop. It's nice.

LeoKesler

LeoKesler

• 10 posts
  • Joined 29-May 04
I dont have tested with the original explorer.exe but I think I have found a bug / limitation with bluetooth.

If I double click in the bluetooth icon, it show an error. Add / Show (and probable allow) a bluetooth device shows the same error.

Sorry for my bad english.

Attached Files

superjose

superjose

• 12 posts
  • Joined 25-July 12

I dont have tested with the original explorer.exe but I think I have found a bug / limitation with bluetooth.

If I double click in the bluetooth icon, it show an error. Add / Show (and probable allow) a bluetooth device shows the same error.

Sorry for my bad english.

And just tested it... and it's true.
Haha, I've never clicked the Bluetooth icon before. I always use right click and receive/send a file. It works like a charm with this program.

What I'm saying is that Bluetooth works flawless by right clicking on it.

Edited by superjose, 02 October 2012 - 07:49 PM.

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08
I know why it didn't let me choose the path last time! I had 0.9 as a portable so I only deleted its folder before installing 1.0. Today, (after having 1.0 installed successfully) I tried uninstalling it and ran the setup again. Then, I see that I had no trouble to change the install path at all!

Guess Tihiy will be swearing but I don't care! :lol:

tharford

tharford
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 26-September 12
With Bluetooth - yep, I came across the same thing.

I've been fiddling with Windows 8 quite a bit to make it like Windows 7 (there are aspects I like of the OS), but I uninstalled a bit too much. Most people probably won't have to do this, but what I did was use "sfc /scannow" in the command prompt (elevated) in Windows 8 desktop mod. Rebooted back into Windows 8 shell and Bluetooth was working fine. That bit of info is for anyone who removes too much and stuffs up Windows 8. Then I switched shells back to Windows 7.

Now in Windows 7 mode, the send/receive file dialogs work fine, but the Show Devices doesn't (thereby making it next to impossible to add a device such as speakers or headsets and so on). I think the reason for this is because that part of the OS uses the PC Settings screen, which is Metro. How I got around it is booting into Windows 8 desktop and add the Bluetooth devices in there, then back into Windows 7 mode.

Personally it shows how much of a half baked attempt (no offense to the MS developers out there mind you) Windows 8 is for the desktop user.
But really loving this app, love starting Windows and having no Metro stuff! Oddly enough I liked the Metro/Tiles at first, but after a while it just got really frustrating!

LeoKesler

LeoKesler

• 10 posts
  • Joined 29-May 04
One more limitation: User Accounts -> Manage Accounts -> Add a new user in PC settings . Same error, Explorer.exe Function not implemented.

Again, not a big problem, but I think it is good to know the limitations of the software.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,969 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

One more limitation: User Accounts -> Manage Accounts -> Add a new user in PC settings . Same error, Explorer.exe Function not implemented.

Again, not a big problem, but I think it is good to know the limitations of the software.

Had you read Post #2, you'd know that already... Here, I've quoted it for you and highlighted in red the relevant part... :whistle:

PLEASE READ
THIS PROGRAM IS PROVIDED TO YOU "AS-IS" AND I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING

LIMITATIONS:
- Metro programs won't run. Metro UI screens won't show as it's not loaded, cannot and won't be.
- You may get more UAC prompts since explorer.exe is not in win8 UAC-approved whitelist.
- You can't add new user. Run netplwiz.exe for that.
- No default language input indicator. Enable language bar via Control Panel->Language->Advanced Settings->Use desktop language bar.
- No multi-monitor taskbars. Maybe more multimon issues.

Several UI bits missing:
- "You have new program to handle this stuff" toasts won't show. You need to use Default programs to change associations.

superjose

superjose

• 12 posts
  • Joined 25-July 12

With Bluetooth - yep, I came across the same thing.

Now in Windows 7 mode, the send/receive file dialogs work fine, but the Show Devices doesn't (thereby making it next to impossible to add a device such as speakers or headsets and so on). I think the reason for this is because that part of the OS uses the PC Settings screen, which is Metro. How I got around it is booting into Windows 8 desktop and add the Bluetooth devices in there, then back into Windows 7 mode.

Personally it shows how much of a half baked attempt (no offense to the MS developers out there mind you) Windows 8 is for the desktop user.
But really loving this app, love starting Windows and having no Metro stuff! Oddly enough I liked the Metro/Tiles at first, but after a while it just got really frustrating!

Have you tried going to Start -> Devices and Printers -> Add device? That's how I added my Phone to the PC

Thunderbolt 2864

Thunderbolt 2864

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Joined 28-December 05
Sorry if this has been asked before, but in the future will you try to get Metro working along with Windows 7 explorer? But other than that great work.
PC 1: Intel Xeon E5 2687w | 32GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | Corsair AX1200 watt Power Supply | 20x LG SATA DVD+/- RW | LG BluRay/HD DVD Combo Drive| Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers | 42" Toshiba 42XL700a at 1920x1080 1080p | ASRock X79 Fata1ty Champion | Aerocool Strike-X ST Black | 1x OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 1x 4TB Western Digital Hard Drive | Windows 8 x64 Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users